PDA

View Full Version : work it out!!

Frosty_spl
08-14-2007, 05:44 PM
So Im going to join a gym for the first time.

Im tall and skinny and want to just be tall. hah. I don't want to get huge, just really toned and maybe go from 165 to 185 or so.

Where can I find some workout tips for n00bs like myself? How long should my workout be, how much weight to lift, etc. What should I lookout for with gym memberships. I was thinking about joining Bally's.

Wahl 136
08-14-2007, 05:50 PM
So Im going to join a gym for the first time.

Im tall and skinny and want to just be tall. hah. I don't want to get huge, just really toned and maybe go from 165 to 185 or so.

Where can I find some workout tips for n00bs like myself? How long should my workout be, how much weight to lift, etc. What should I lookout for with gym memberships. I was thinking about joining Bally's.

Ballys just filed for bankruptcy. There are some trainers on the board. GL with the weight gain.

ms!3
08-14-2007, 05:57 PM
haha im kind of in your shoes as well. im 6'3 and weigh 160. im joining the military so ill gain my weight then. like 20-30 pounds or so. im enjoying being lazy right now in my last year of school.

Matej
08-14-2007, 07:11 PM
Weight Gain 4000, it's helping me bulk up.

qwikspool
08-14-2007, 07:56 PM
2 protein shakes a day plus 4 meals a day. work out and do cardio. you will gain weight for sure. try google search.

Baka Sama
08-14-2007, 08:36 PM
What ever you do do not go to LA Fitness to workout. Its usually over crowded and most people just go to show off and stare at the girls. I go to Golds Gym because its alot less crowded and has a more intimate atmosphere. I try to go every other day for about 30-45 at a time.

Things to remember*
1. Never compare yourself to anyone else whos working out. Only worry about yourself and the progress you are making. Dont get discouraged cause you may be the smallest person there.
2. Its gonna take a while to get where you want to be so dont give up thinking your gonna get big in a few weeks.
3. When you develop a program that fits you, dont forget to work out your legs.
4. Dont forget to stretch and bring some music to pump you up.

This is a great website I found when I started that goes over everything you need to know about working out. From the food you should eat to the fastest ways to get big. http://www.intense-workout.com/

-Hope that helps. Post before and after pics lol
What part of atlanta do you live in? I have a few week passes to Golds if you wanna try them out.

SexPanda
08-14-2007, 09:21 PM
Weight Gain 4000, it's helping me bulk up.
Follow your dreams: BeefCake...

BEEFCAKE! Oh yeah dont forget to stay hydrated. Water is essential to having a strong metabolism. Drink alot of water, gain more muscle.

its all very complicated, but yeah thats about how it works.

lil240sx95
08-14-2007, 09:33 PM
MUSCLEMILK!!!!!!!! thats all you need to drink! Eat healthy! Cardio, and know what your gonna do before you get to the gym, separate your workouts like one day arms, another day legs etc..but yeah go to bodybuilding.com you can find and buy things there CHEAP

Frosty_spl
08-14-2007, 10:17 PM
Thanks guys!

Im in duluth.:bigok:

Everyone I know goes to LA Fitness, and Ive heard about the people trying to look cool there.

myzislow
08-14-2007, 10:56 PM
mens health magazine put out a book this year, I picked up about 6 months ago. its awesome.

Baka Sama
08-15-2007, 01:05 AM
Im actually free tomorrow (Wend) until about 6ish. I should just pm your ass but let me know if you wanna try out Golds in the afternoon. I need to get back on track working out myself..

S14DB
08-15-2007, 01:17 AM
I'm still trying to find a gym that's not one or a combination of the following:
1)Meat Market(where people goto to show off their bodies and check others out and hook up. Prime posing equipment is taken all the time.)
2)Mussle Beach(bunch of roid heads lifting way to much weight at short intervals to gain mass. Way to easy to aggro them.)
3)Women only (I don't mind but they seem to...)
4)YMCA(Once the old people get off the equipment the after school brats show up to kick you in the shins and head butt you in the groin while running down the hall)

I really need to save up my cash and by my own equipment.

Rkesh88
08-15-2007, 07:34 AM
golds gym ftw and keep the shakes consistent and you'll get there. anyone used NO Xplode that supplelement shit? does it work?

yusoslo
08-15-2007, 10:03 AM
haha. No explode got me from curling 45's to 60's in 1.5 months!

Its kinda scary how motivated it makes you. I have to take a break now. I have worked out 4 days straight and ran 3-4 miles everyday...I wanna go again but I should take atleast today off.

BTW I got the nike air motor 5+ running shoes...amazing. You just want to keep running, I used to get shin splints and calf cramps...never again with these shoes.

Evil240
08-15-2007, 11:31 AM
NO-Explode can be used for like 90 days... then you need to lay off of it for about 30 days. (grape is so far the best flavor) no explode added about 50lbs to my max bench press after about 2 months. BUT IT SUCKS ARSE ONCE YOUR OFF OF IT!!!!

as far as protein... i used nectar 30 mins before my workouts and then i use muscle milk after.

nectar breaks down quicker for your workouts, while muscle milk is casein protein n breaks down slower (time release style). make sure you protein up after a heavy work out, or your body will canabalize itself and u wont bulk up (but you will tone up

if your are going to cross train or do lots of cardio... like yusoslo said.. shoes makes a big diff. i use the adidas megabounce+ for comfort.

bardabe
08-15-2007, 12:15 PM
Shit I just watch what I eat, and run a mile sometimes a mile and a half a day, that;s making me loose about a 2lbs a week. or when i don;t do it right / slack off i only loose like 1. lol but for me that;s the best way, because of my old eating habbits, once most of the "preserved fat" is burned off I'll hit the gym to start getting some sort of muscular shape in my abdomen and chest. my arms are ok / not bad. no need to worry about them or legs.

-Juan

ManoNegra
08-15-2007, 12:47 PM
Any gym is fine - you get out what you put into it. I go to LA Fitness maybe 2-3 times a week and try to keep to a 2000 calorie per day routine. Works for me. Time of the day that you go also plays a big part as to the type of people you see there - go early or late to avoid the gym tools.

Frosty_spl
08-16-2007, 08:23 PM
Cool, im gonna start next week!

I was thinking about working out for a couple weeks before I start buying protein powder.

Farzam
08-17-2007, 04:21 AM
I wanna join a 24 hour gym around here...

Go at like 3am.

Dutchmalmiss
08-17-2007, 11:29 AM
yeah 24 Hr Fitness is cool. Nothing beats $29/ year. Just wait for the right deal, and they're all over the place in LA.

illvialuver
08-17-2007, 12:44 PM
you know, everyone will tell you to do different shit to get in shape, liek im 6'5 and 195, i was 217 a month ago but i just watched what i ate and drank alot of water and lost about 25 pounds in a month, my normal weight is a195, but i gained all the other 25 in a year without workin or excersize due to my car accident, and now my lil brother is actually a little bigger than me and more cut and kinda is into himself too much( due to his constant work out, he works out about 5-6 days a week for two hours at a time, working two to three muscel groups a day, followed by cardio) but seein him makes me feel liek a slob, cause i used to be in better condition. And im telling you this because i think what was said before is important, do not compare yourself to others, it will just discourage you, or make you ultra competetive and youll do good but become super ego maniac liek my brother.
good luck on putting the weight on.
im gogin to try to lose fat percentage but get back up 215-220, thats liek ryan reynolds blade trynity status. or spartan status, eiither way good luck to you.

and by the way , the guy who is 6'3 and 160? you my friend should go and buy a cow, and milk it for a month, than drink all of its milk, slaughter it and eat one part of the cow a day, and at the same time buy a barrel or weight gainer. im just kiddin, thats a bit skinny but its not like youll blow away in the wind.

and speakin of skinny i saw this girl at school today, who was soo skinny if she jumped of a roof i bet she would float softly to the ground and defy all laws of gravity.

Dutchmalmiss
08-17-2007, 12:59 PM
^^^ haha funny shit. Yeah I totally agree with this. Don't look at other people's bodies for motivation. Just look at yourself and it should be good enough. Work out at your own pace/diet/commitment. If you follow it right, you'll see results in days.

S14TEVE
08-17-2007, 01:14 PM
N.O.-EXPLODE, whey protein & lots of chicken. Lifting heavier weight, less reps (max outs) gets you bigger. more reps less weight gets you more cut.

try 21's you can do curling free weights or benching...

press (can be applied to curls as well):
1. with bar at your chest press upward extending your arms only half way 7 times.
2. with arms extended only half way press upward fully extending your arms (repeat x7 only lowering the bar to where your arms are only half way extended)
3. last set do full extended presses 7 more x.

if you're pressing using this method. do this once a day for 2 weeks with maybe just 45's on the bar. after the 2 weeks it should be easy for you to press. This is how you know you're getting stronger. You can add 20lbs (10lbs to each side of the bar) every friday or every other friday to max out (GET BIGGER!)