PDA

View Full Version : Charter Cable, good/bad? and vs. Time Warner Cable

Indolent
08-14-2007, 12:06 AM
Currently have time warner cable 'bundle' or something like that but my mom's wondering how Charter cable is, just cause they have this special bundle deal this month

"Charter High-Speed Internet 3Meg"

just wondering the goods/bads (i.e. internet doesn't work every here and there, slow, etc.) and possibly how it compares to time warner's high speed

DRavenS13
08-14-2007, 12:07 AM
Screw them both- get DirecTv.

bardabe
08-14-2007, 12:44 AM
we have charter here in NC dude its whatever / seems the same

corwin
08-14-2007, 07:21 AM
I have Charter and its fine. Cox high speed was better though.

exitspeed
08-14-2007, 08:09 AM
I work directly with both companies. They offer pretty much the same exact thing. It's really just going to come down to who's gonna give you a better deal.

Consider yourself lucky. Where I live in SE WI we don't have a choice between the two. Wherever you live, it's one or the other.

I prefer cable or satellite personally. I had satellite for a few years and HATED IT. Will never go back. Plus Road Runner > DSL, period.

So to reiterate...talk to both and see who's willing to bend over further for you.

Wahl 136
08-14-2007, 08:18 AM
I have roadrunner cable internet. It's good stuff, fast, and reliable. As for cable I had a lot of problems with them. On top of that their rates kept going up. Finally I switched to Directv.

So I'm locked in for 1 year with Roadrunner for $30/month and Directv for $70 and that includes the HD package hbo, skinamax, and showtime.

Secretsquirrel
08-14-2007, 08:49 AM
We have the charter bundle, and id say the internet is down atleast 1 time a month, but its a quick fix you can do yourseft. Internet is normally fast and rarely Sluggish.

SS

Phlip
08-14-2007, 09:41 AM
I had direct TV when we moved into the last house we lived in, kept it for like 3 months and got tired of not being able to watch TV in certain weather conditions, so we cancelled that shit and went back to Time Warner and Bundled RoadRunner with it.
Having had DSL before, then going with dialup while in that limbo between companies, I am still most impressed with Time Warner. As Mel said, though, it is more about what is available where you are in NC... Where I am, it is either DirectTV, Dish Network or Time Warner Cable. DirectTV can be bundled with AT&T DSL and home phone, but you have to get all 3 if you want DSL, I have the option of just not having a home phone with Time Warner.

HyperTek
08-14-2007, 10:50 AM
im in riverside dont get charter i have the 5meg package its expensive... even the 3meg package is expensive.. the price goes up after the introductory ..

i wanna cancel mine and just go with dsl...

BustedS13
08-14-2007, 10:57 AM
i have 10 meg charter internet and expanded cable. this is my second apartment with 10 meg charter, and the only issue i've ever had was a ~24 hour stretch, once, where the internet was down. but i called them, they gave me an estimate, and sure enough, my internet was back when they said it would be.

that said, i know plenty of people who bitch about charter. but they mostly seem to be people who can't set up a home network properly.

HyperTek
08-14-2007, 11:04 AM
Nah dude sometimes thier service goes down randomly but its rare... rarely happens, but thier service did improve since they upgraded thier provided modems to motorola units to subscribers..

but this cable is getting expensive for me... i didnt know they had a 10meg service, i think its useless though because your never gonna access a server that will upload that fast...

DSL on teh other hand, is harder to configure.. Cable is straight plug and play

BustedS13
08-14-2007, 11:13 AM
but this cable is getting expensive for me... i didnt know they had a 10meg service, i think its useless though because your never gonna access a server that will upload that fast...

it's called bittorrent. it downloads from multiple people at once, capping your internets.
i can download a 700mb movie in just under 11 minutes, or just under 22 minutes if i want a higher quality 1.4gig version. either way, that's less time than it takes to drive to blockbuster. it's definitely worth it.

ManoNegra
08-14-2007, 12:35 PM
^ speaks the truth, T1 fiber optic here at work and downloads are super fast.

At home we used to have Comcast and it was good, Time Warner took over about a year ago and we've had nothing but problems with internet service - not as fast and it seems to fail on average 2 days out the week. Different excuse every time we call to complain and when we schedule a tech to come the shit miraculously starts working the day before. On a few occasions they haven't even bother showing up. Time Warner sucks.