PDA

View Full Version : How to check if you've been scammed on EBAY?

thejapino
08-13-2007, 12:01 PM
My buddy bought a turbo off somone on ebay and he's been waiting for it to arrive since july 23rd. To me it has all of the signs of a scammer b/c communication was good before the purchase and ceased after paypal payment. The seller hasn't had many transactions (about 30) but all of the feedback is good!

Before jumping the gun and yelling scammer tho, I'd like to know what are your methods for checking up on a seller on ebay before purchasing. Google? Any other sites dedicated to evaluating profiles on ebay? Any way to check if he has scammed before?

Thanks for the help, peace.

PS. I'll get the info on the seller up soon so you could see who we're dealing with.

ManoNegra
08-13-2007, 12:57 PM
Make sure you don't let more than 30 days go by before talking to you CC company.

DOOK
08-13-2007, 12:59 PM
if I were him I'd go ahead and start the paypal dispute, you can cancel it at any time.

rican_nick
08-13-2007, 01:02 PM
i usually give a week of no communication.. by 2 wks i should have a valid tracking number if not.. paypal dispute. and like LTD said u can cancel those at any time.

thejapino
08-13-2007, 04:02 PM
So paypal is the best place to dispute something like this huh? Thanks. I've never been scammed before on Ebay so I always thought it was safe.

In the future, what do you guys suggest looking at besides # of sales and ebay rating? There's gotta be something else?

rican_nick
08-13-2007, 04:06 PM
if its to good to be true.. it usually is.

Wahl 136
08-13-2007, 04:12 PM
If you bought on paypal it usually gives a home phone number try calling. If it doesnt go through or your messages go unanswered then its a warning sign.

Follow up with some harsh emails threating police action. Worst comes to worst call his local police department they may go question him on this item. He may get scared and sent it out or refund the money.

Then once its all said and done tell your friend to come on zilvia and buy my turbo from me. :naughtyd:

Best of luck though I hate dealing with people like that.

thejapino
08-13-2007, 04:14 PM
I really hope he gets something out of it either the part or the turbo b/c knowing his situation, he doesn't need this kind of bs right now. Im gonna tell him to try to resolve the situation with paypal first then notify his credit card. Im sure there are ways to get at least the money back. Thanks guys

Ragnarok043
08-13-2007, 07:17 PM
from the horror stories ive heard about Paypal, they usually cant do shit after such a long time. they will give you BS about the other party cashing out the credit already. your best bet would be to do a charge back through the credit card company.