PDA

View Full Version : getting an e36 m3 :]

silviaa
08-11-2007, 08:45 PM
hey so i decided im going to be selling my 240 once and for all. :cry:

to many problems that need to be fixed and i just dont have the time/money.

so im going to be selling my 240 working/riding a bike to work/save up for two-three months and then buy an e36 m3. my inspiration comes from a shop nearby where i live. they have a twin turbo e46 and a supercharged e36.:2f2f:

i looked for good forums but can't find much. any help?
what do you guys think, should i get it?

Daniel.
08-11-2007, 09:59 PM
Buy one if you want to fail. I had one. It made me feel like an old man. I sold it and bought a coupe.

Phlip
08-11-2007, 10:10 PM
If you're having money issues and are tired of fixing your 240SX, I strongly suggest you buy a car that you don't plan to modify.
And if you ARE going to modify one, I suggest getting something other than that Bimmer, as you'll quickly find that the grass is NOT greener on the other side, the moneys laid out in keeping it up or getting it BACK up will be more painful than your 240, I promise.
Why not ride that bike to work and put that SAME cash you save into your 240? I mean, you already own it and saving a little cash to do whatever it is you need all at once is generally a good look, no?

Baka Sama
08-11-2007, 10:13 PM
You dont have the time/money for a cheap 240sx so your gonna buy an even more expensive M3? On top of that you plan to ride your bike for 3 months in this heat.. Yeah.. Whatever floats your boat.

ltsPureLuck
08-11-2007, 10:15 PM
Insurance is gonna be cheaper for a bimmer also....oh wait.

JDMS1lv1a
08-11-2007, 10:45 PM
keep your 240....

A Spec Products
08-11-2007, 10:50 PM
i dunno

e36 m3's are cool and all, but id only get it if you really want to TRACK it

and its not gonna be cheap to mod, much less turn any ladies heads

if you dont have the money for a 240...then how can you possibly do a M3?

Full-Lock
08-11-2007, 11:04 PM
my 240 is getting too expensive to mod..i think im just going to buy a porsche instead and mod that.

:tweak:

goodluck dude haha

longdy
08-11-2007, 11:11 PM
my 240 is getting too expensive to mod..i think im just going to buy a porsche instead and mod that.

goodluck dude haha

lol thats funny... i agree :boink:..

A Spec Products
08-11-2007, 11:21 PM

goodluck dude haha

http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/rich-tehrani/uploads/bugatti-veyron-big.jpg

once i swindle more of you guys outta money

its bugatti veyron time!

Full-Lock
08-12-2007, 12:34 AM
by the sales you make you should be there in no time

doesnt help when people like myself are window shopping TE's :X haha

A Spec Products
08-12-2007, 12:48 AM
by the sales you make you should be there in no time

doesnt help when people like myself are window shopping TE's :X haha

by the way that i get lowballed by customers i will never be there

and those window shoppers

AHEM

BustedS13
08-12-2007, 02:11 AM
european cars do three things well:

a.) have pricy parts/maintenance
b.) depreciate in value
c.) break down

they do those three things spectacularly, and nothing else.

Full-Lock
08-12-2007, 02:15 AM
d.) get hot bitches

Farzam
08-12-2007, 03:01 AM
If you need a car to stick your peen in something, you've got issues.

This thread is a joke right? I just got Punk'd? Ashton, wtf's up!?

JDMClifford
08-12-2007, 07:01 AM
accually insourance is not that bad, they are easy to mod if you know what your doing. and they cost about as much as an s14 is ok condish. here is a a friends e36 m3 that we just supercharged making about 380 wheel horsepower. hea also built the head only stock thing in the head is the new oem valves.

here is a pic next to my car.
he has a supercharger kit
intake
bov
euro maf
tuned ecu
ubgraded brakes
full suspention
built head
FMIC
oil cooler
supercharger traction oil cooler with a heatsink for the resavor thing...
and he is going to get rims and the the oled gauges, just 2 of them

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b43/aifviper/IMG_3158fullsize.jpg

CylonFrakker
08-12-2007, 09:53 AM
^^^add all that shit up and he is in the mid teens in cost. Its not cheap. I should know i had a turbo'ed 95 E36 M3 not cheap and the SC and Supra are cheaper in parts. Stick with a 240 or get a Civic they cost less to mod.

JDMClifford
08-12-2007, 10:27 AM
umm no more like $11.000. and he is driving around a 390hp m3! i think you miss the point. there is a reason he is building an m3. he likes german cars. he also drives a z3. i dont think he minds spend money on cars he likes. i think if he wanted a super fast car for cheep he would do what the smart people do in america and build a v8 and put is into any car of there liking. thats the way to go for cheep power.

usdm180sx
08-12-2007, 10:39 AM
If you're having money issues and are tired of fixing your 240SX, I strongly suggest you buy a car that you don't plan to modify.
And if you ARE going to modify one, I suggest getting something other than that Bimmer, as you'll quickly find that the grass is NOT greener on the other side, the moneys laid out in keeping it up or getting it BACK up will be more painful than your 240, I promise.

Words of wisdom. In the case of an e35 bmw the grass is also a hell of a lot more expensive. That's after you spend a grip just ensuring that the car is up to factory specs.

I will say that out of the box it will be an awesome handling car. My dad had a 1995 325is automatic and it was the MOST fun stock car I have ever driven.

But in the end financially you will be ten times more miserable.

Edit* If he likes German cars so be it.

JDMClifford
08-12-2007, 10:42 AM
ya there not my fav. they were also rated the best handling cars of that year also. odd... looks like a brick.

DUFFM4N
08-12-2007, 10:53 AM
BMWs are expensive to keep maintenace...my radiator fan went out, cost me a lil over $700 repair...a RADIATOR FAN! :rant:

and for those who think "i got raped"...call the dealer and ask them how much a radiator fan assembly cost..($1200 uninstalled)

TheWolf
08-12-2007, 11:05 AM
I used to do work on building bmw built engines... talkin 5k for a budget conscious rebuild and 7500 for a nice piece of custom built forgedness.. if you do get it I've got a stage 2 head with coatings and new ferrera valves and springs I'll sell ya for $1400. Everything is expensive on them though.

U12Bluebird
08-12-2007, 11:06 AM
Check out BimmerForums.com

I'd keep the 240 over the M3 simply because you are unaware of how expensive mods are for the M3.

BustedS13
08-12-2007, 11:26 AM
BMWs are expensive to keep maintenace...my radiator fan went out, cost me a lil over $700 repair...a RADIATOR FAN! :rant:

and for those who think "i got raped"...call the dealer and ask them how much a radiator fan assembly cost..($1200 uninstalled)

...in that case i would have just bought a fal. but yeah, bimmers are retarded expensive to keep moving. a friend of mine had a 318 that cost him more than he paid for the car in maintenance over the course of 18 months.

DUFFM4N
08-12-2007, 12:09 PM
...in that case i would have just bought a fal. but yeah, bimmers are retarded expensive to keep moving. a friend of mine had a 318 that cost him more than he paid for the car in maintenance over the course of 18 months.

my firt thought was "ok ill just buy a universal fan....$50 tops"...but nooooooooo bmw had to be :ghey:

thejapino
08-12-2007, 02:31 PM
German cars are nice when new. Usually people just lease them for several years and love them. The cars are still under warranty and run perfectly. Then the lease is up and people bring them back in. Dealerships sell them second hand w/o warranty. The cars run fine for a few years. Then, these second owners start shelling out $$$ for maintainance and repairs. Plus the car has drastically depreciated in value. These second owners get the worst of it b/c:

1. Their upside down in the loan. After a few years of value depreciation, considering they took out a loan to buy the car, they owe the lender $$$ which is more than the cars worth!?!?! ex.
*You buy a car for $24,000.
*You make payments for a couple years and now you only owe $15,000
*The depreciated value of the car by this time is $12,000...WTF

2. They can't sell the car b/c they wont be able to sell it for enough $ to satisfy the debt. Who would buy a car worth 12k for 15k?

3. The car is now older and has many computer/electrical problems. Remember, german cars have alot of sensors, power seats, switches, relays, heated this, power that, which make the car very luxurious when new but a pain when all of these electrical parts start going bad.

Its your choice, Im going through this with 2 of my relatives cars. One is an early ML mercedes that his upside down in debt + a few electrical gremlins. The other is an early 90's 5series my girlfriend got for a good price. The maintainence on the 5 series is $ but were just trying to get the car running long enough to get our money's worth out of it. If it lasts a few more years without any major problems then we'll be ok with that!

GL I hope i gave you something to think about. But if you got the money that go for it!

BustedS13
08-12-2007, 02:49 PM
and that pretty much clears it up. +rep.

RiversideS13
08-12-2007, 06:48 PM
just like everyone said here. it is very odd that you complaint about 240sx need too much repair and problem yet you are getting something even more unreliable and expensive to deal with.

maybe you need to buy a honda civic or integra, it is cheaper to deal with.

wootwoot
08-13-2007, 12:38 AM
...in that case i would have just bought a fal

bingo. Sorry your corn hole got reamed.

SexPanda
08-13-2007, 01:10 AM
Find yourself a good condition BMW from the early 80's.

Drop an sr20det into it.
tune it.

BLAM! now your faster and more reliable than a 95 m3.

CylonFrakker
08-13-2007, 06:13 AM
umm no more like $11.000. and he is driving around a 390hp m3! i think you miss the point. there is a reason he is building an m3. he likes german cars. he also drives a z3. i dont think he minds spend money on cars he likes. i think if he wanted a super fast car for cheep he would do what the smart people do in america and build a v8 and put is into any car of there liking. thats the way to go for cheep power.

Wow all that for $11. I think you miss the point for 11K i can build a bad ass 240 that kicks M3 ass all day long at the track and on the street and still turns as many head if not more. Good luck with you car endeavors but you're a fool for thinking a 240 that you can basically not maintain is going to be easier or cheaper than a BMW. BMW = BIG MONEY WASTE! Some one close this thread he didin't want advice he already made up his mind. BTW cheep is spelled liek this = cheap. Cheap power would be a civic with a turbo kit that makes 350hp that runs circles around most cars on the road.

Ca_laurier
08-13-2007, 08:54 AM
guys who buy m3's ussually are either douche bags.... or missing a little something and having women issues

common, more girls have asked "are those going to hold" when they see the zip ties on my ride lol

point of this, don't be a fag and jump on the new bandwagon. bmw's are stupidly expensive to maintain and 90% of the work has to be done there even alignments

steve shadows
08-13-2007, 09:35 AM
guys who buy m3's ussually are either douche bags.... or missing a little something and having women issues

good quote of the day...

I think luke is missing something haha.

new M3 is nice, but thats because its got leather.

M is made in germany and is known for being more reliable than the non-M cars.

Thats why its the only BMW I would buy.

M or die.

but id rather hold out for the new Skyline personally.

U12Bluebird
08-13-2007, 10:05 AM

common, more girls have asked "are those going to hold" when they see the zip ties on my ride lol

point of this, don't be a fag and jump on the new bandwagon. bmw's are stupidly expensive to maintain and 90% of the work has to be done there even alignments

More generalizations :loco:

Some can say the same about certain 240 owners being douchebags and compensating for something they lack as well, not to mention how cheap and childish they usually are.

Ca_laurier
08-13-2007, 10:14 AM
alright, i will have to admit. I am a hater of bmw's

if i were to buy a nice car, for sure would look into benz's before it would even cross my mind to pick up a bmw

personally i would rather invest in a house...lol which i did than live in your parents basement at the age of 30 driving an m3

BustedS13
08-13-2007, 11:09 AM
Cheap power would be a civic with a turbo kit that makes 350hp that runs circles around most cars on the road.

...no, it's not cheap to make a civic fast. cheap power would be a fox body with a built 5.0, blowing the doors off anything and everything in its path.

Mlogue84
08-13-2007, 11:54 AM
M3's are sweet. It's going to be hard to find a nice, clean e36. If you want the baller effect, you'll need to find one in alpine-white with the ltw's. IMO that's the only one that doesn't looked aged. Don't get me wrong, it's a timeless bodystyle, They'll always be sweet. But you have to weigh the costs... they are expensive to maintain and mod. They are way fun to drive and handle freakin awesome... If it still has good suspension. I would worry about hurting my new toy. I couldn't drive it as hard as i wanted to, or could in my 240. If it's what you want, then more power to ya. Good Luck, and Definetly check out bimmerforums.com
-Mark

wootwoot
08-13-2007, 12:01 PM
Glad to see for the most part conversation is still retarded on Zilvia.

Z3NK1
08-13-2007, 03:51 PM

Now I know you're a nice guy and all because you're my friend, but that was the most retarded thing I've read all day besides that woman inviting the cops into her house to show them that she had been sold fake crack....

Hating gets you nowhere homie, just shows insecurity.

Anyways back to the point. Here's a couple forums I like to use for info, bimmerforums.com (best one), dtmpower.net, bimmerwerkz.com, etc. For a list of DIY pages, or online parts stores, shoot me a PM and I'll list for you what I've gathered so far. Don't worry too much about maintenance, if you can do a lot yourself, you're fine. Parts aren't that much more expensive, it just gets REALLY pricey if you take it to a dealer.

PS You'd probably get the same response on a bmw forum if you made a post saying "Gonna buy a 240sx!", everyone would jump down your throat ;)

916S14
08-13-2007, 04:40 PM
Man why are you doing that? 240 has too much problems? you think that Bimmer is gonna be easier? just stick to the 240 man. i know they can be a pain in the ass sometimes, but nothing a hammer and some beer cant fix.

Yuri
08-13-2007, 06:11 PM
The M3 will be a fun car.
I seriously wouldn't mind owning another BMW, but I'd definatly buy a new one with a warranty this time around.
The 135si M looks like it will be cool.
My roomate has an 850i 6-speed that's really sweet, and the older manual transmission 5 and 7-series are way cool. If you love them, you'll find ways to hold onto them and maintain them.

So people are saying Euros are the new bandwagon?
Haha, too funny.
I freaking dare someone to have the balls to jump on my Jaguar XK8 bandwagon. ;)

U12Bluebird
08-13-2007, 06:36 PM
[/quote]Anyways back to the point. Here's a couple forums I like to use for info, bimmerforums.com (best one), dtmpower.net, bimmerwerkz.com, etc. For a list of DIY pages, or online parts stores, shoot me a PM and I'll list for you what I've gathered so far. Don't worry too much about maintenance, if you can do a lot yourself, you're fine. Parts aren't that much more expensive, it just gets REALLY pricey if you take it to a dealer. [/quote]

DTM and Bimmerwerkz is a joke, whereas BF.c is the best. DTM's heyday was 00-02 IMO.

PS You'd probably get the same response on a bmw forum if you made a post saying "Gonna buy a 240sx!", everyone would jump down your throat ;)

On the contrary, many people on BimmerForums actually respect 240's.

Ca_laurier
08-13-2007, 06:48 PM
Now I know you're a nice guy and all because you're my friend, but that was the most retarded thing I've read all day besides that woman inviting the cops into her house to show them that she had been sold fake crack....

hey hey there andrew, your an exception cause you have never owned a car that hasn't looked amazing. plus i was refering to m3's in general. lol i swear once a guy gets an m3 he feels like he is the god of the road.

i would have to say all the hate comes from my work, i would compliment there car after i cleaned there rims of brake dust (which no one else at the place does) and make the car just look amazing again and when they respond back it would be a asshole remark like "i know". the older guys with 7 series ussually comment on my work but 3 series asshole are basterds in general

LB.Motoring
08-13-2007, 06:50 PM
I also, are turning to the bmw side.

Im buying a 2000 e39, very shortly.

TiNMAN
08-13-2007, 06:51 PM
here is a pic next to my car.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b43/aifviper/IMG_3158fullsize.jpg

is that jason's car? did you buy it from a big korean guy?? that use to be one of ours!!

U12Bluebird
08-13-2007, 07:00 PM
hey hey there andrew, your an exception cause you have never owned a car that hasn't looked amazing. plus i was refering to m3's in general. lol i swear once a guy gets an m3 he feels like he is the god of the road.

i would have to say all the hate comes from my work, i would compliment there car after i cleaned there rims of brake dust (which no one else at the place does) and make the car just look amazing again and when they respond back it would be a asshole remark like "i know". the older guys with 7 series ussually comment on my work but 3 series asshole are basterds in general

Don't mind 3er retards. They think they are God's gift to mankind since they think owning an entry level BMW makes them king.

s13rookie
08-13-2007, 09:35 PM
I had an e36 m3. It developed a few problems........now im back to 240's.

i do miss the vader seats though.

Kn1ves
08-13-2007, 09:50 PM
Don't mind 3er retards. They think they are God's gift to mankind since they think owning an entry level BMW makes them king.

Last I checked, the 1 Series is the entry-level BMW

Bud Brown
08-13-2007, 09:59 PM
i had an e36 m3.

i miss her greatly, wish i never sold her.

http://a589.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/112/l_5e38f82ce45729a575f157c644c11884.gif

do it.

Baka Sama
08-14-2007, 01:05 AM
The M3 will be a fun car.
I seriously wouldn't mind owning another BMW, but I'd definatly buy a new one with a warranty this time around.
The 135si M looks like it will be cool.
My roomate has an 850i 6-speed that's really sweet, and the older manual transmission 5 and 7-series are way cool. If you love them, you'll find ways to hold onto them and maintain them.

So people are saying Euros are the new bandwagon?
Haha, too funny.
I freaking dare someone to have the balls to jump on my Jaguar XK8 bandwagon. ;)

So I can replace my rotors and brakes every 3 months? Nah Ill pass lol

My brother loves bmws and now has a old pearl green 6 series in perfect shape. Now thats is a pimp car.