PDA

View Full Version : the name some decent headphones thread

BustedS13
07-26-2007, 11:26 PM
i'm sure there's a few dj's on here with some decent headphone knowledge. i'm looking for a good pair of headphones that i can wear at work, when i walk down to the grocery store, when i don't want to bother anybody in my apartment complex late at night, and so on. i don't want to spend more than 200 dollars, preferably closer to 150. i've sworn by sony's MDR-V100 (and now the v150) since i was about 15, but now i want something substantially nicer. i said dj's before because i want studio headphones, not some earbud nonsense. i like my music to sound good, not like it's coming off am radio.

suggest away!

TiNMAN
07-27-2007, 01:15 AM
there are actually some decent earbud ones out there nowadays so dont give up hope just yet! i use to rock mdr700's for a couple years...ran through about 2-3 sets before i realized that they break too easily, so i wouldnt recommend those. i think the bottomline is itd be kinda weird if you wore nose cancelling headphones(the ones w/black poofy padded padding) to the grocery store.......soooo you would kinda be forced into looking around for a decent pair of earbud type headphones. lol. my buddy had a pair of some pretty cool ones but id have to check back with him for the exact make and model.

The Island
07-27-2007, 01:43 AM
read up on head-fi.com
but dont get into it too much, you dont need another money pit in your life.
as far as my suggestions, cop a pair of sony mdr-7506 for $100. or if u want enclosed ear buds get a pair of shures for like $150.

BustedS13
07-27-2007, 09:24 AM
i think the bottomline is itd be kinda weird if you wore nose cancelling headphones(the ones w/black poofy padded padding) to the grocery store.......soooo you would kinda be forced into looking around for a decent pair of earbud type headphones. lol.

that's the beauty, i don't care. when it's 2am and i want a hoagie, i like to have decent bass come with me. i do wear earbuds when i bike, but other than that... god i hate those things.

Phlip
07-27-2007, 09:36 AM
I have used the MDR-V150s for about 3 years now, those are my "casual" headphones, but when it is time to break out the big guns, I use the MDR-V700 (http://www.google.com/product_url?q=http://tracking.searchmarketing.com/click.asp%3Faid%3D26020845&fr=AI06iY8q-1DVaofRQvbSPhtOS7AUDqtcDB0QtpiYnHjaAAAAAAAAAAA&gl=us&hl=en) and I am looking hard at going with something a little bigger, possibly noise cancelling, but the MDR-7506 (http://www.google.com/product_url?q=http://www.topdjgear.com/sony-mdr-7506.html&fr=ABHlCWasoJACn93i_R6Udjo5RCx3dPS77wAAAAAAAAAA&gl=us&hl=en) is beginning to look pretty good to me.
My 700s stay in the case most times, while my 150s are usually draped over my computer monitor, in case someone is home and sleeping, or I just don't feel like bothering everyone in the house with the speakers I normally use, my monitors are M-Audio StudioPro 3 (http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/StudioPro3-main.html)...
It just dawned on me that I have NEVER looked into seeing if M-Audio had any headphones I fancy, perhaps I will look into that as well.
*ninja edit*
Meh, only reference earphones, no monitoring ones... No thanks

S14TEVE
07-27-2007, 09:46 AM
http://www.bose.com/controller?event=DTC_LINKS_TARGET_EVENT&DTCLinkID=7467&perfsourceid=k15318&src=k1531

these are the shit! i got these 4 my b-day and i love them. i use them at work and when i go to the gym .. they're almost noise canceling it seems like. great bass and highs..

MELLO*SOS
07-27-2007, 10:12 AM
I've used my Sony MDR-V6's at my work/desk for about 3-4 years now. Decent sounding bass and relatively comfortable. Thanks for the links, it's about time I upgrade too...

ManoNegra
07-27-2007, 11:05 AM
I still use my Sony MDR 600s that I had forever at work and like them. They're ok but I had a set of Sony noise canceling earbuds that just gave out and those were my favorite. So comfortable, decent sound and - best feature - they would drown out all ambient noise around me. I'm using the stock one that came with the Zune and they're raping my ears.

s14sx
07-27-2007, 12:32 PM
I have a Shure 3g earphone and it's damn good. I bet few of people in here have those too.

fromxtor
07-27-2007, 12:36 PM
I am currently using Panasonic RP-HT455shttp://prodb.matsushita.co.jp/products/images/product/l/53/RP-HT455-S_53825.jpg, but these were my first love:
http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/files/graphics/$file/TD80_lg.jpgKoss TD/80

pbcstylez
07-27-2007, 01:29 PM
keep the suggestiosn coming, i live in headphones at work and wouldnt mind splurging if i can write it off

TiNMAN
07-27-2007, 03:27 PM
http://www.bose.com/controller?event=DTC_LINKS_TARGET_EVENT&DTCLinkID=7467&perfsourceid=k15318&src=k1531

these are the shit! i got these 4 my b-day and i love them. i use them at work and when i go to the gym .. they're almost noise canceling it seems like. great bass and highs..

im not sure if these are the ones but bose also makes some that send unwanted audio back out and away from your ears.

MrD
07-27-2007, 03:39 PM
I just love my old school SR60. (http://www.gradolabs.com/product_pages/sr60.htm)
Hard to beat the 129$ pricetag

Not DJ material, but still a decent pair of headphones.

ALTRNTV
07-27-2007, 04:04 PM
I have some Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones, but for recording purposes.

http://img3.guitarcenter.com/dbase/pics/products/7/4/4/478744.jpg

BustedS13
07-27-2007, 07:42 PM
I just love my old school SR60. (http://www.gradolabs.com/product_pages/sr60.htm)
Hard to beat the 129$ pricetag

Not DJ material, but still a decent pair of headphones.

while i have no idea what those may sound like.. they LOOK fucking SICK. any chance i could find a pair of those to be tested in a store?

i was looking at the mdr v700's before, i think that's what i'm gonna go with... people may have gripes about sony, but i have a great deal of trust when it comes to their headphones.

nu_born
07-27-2007, 08:35 PM
mdr-v700s FTMFW, i and anyone i know who spins rock those things...great quality headphones for the price, a little fragile but my first set lasted me 3 years before my cat decided to take a spin on one of my turntables and send them plummeting to the floor...

BustedS13
07-28-2007, 12:12 AM
yep, ordered 'em on amazon, should be here tuesday.

kanagawa_kouki
07-28-2007, 06:51 AM
Hmm technics or whatever that company is, and Bose. Just make sure they are "noise-cancelling" Those are the best!!! especially when your on the plane... mmmmm Yeaah

ixfxi
07-28-2007, 09:32 AM
bose sucks - the company makes horrible products, from speakers to systems.

ive had the sony headphones, not bad... nice quality, good sound.

you may want to consider buying-and-trying a few pairs to see which match your personal favorite style. im surprised no one has mentioned sennheiser

BustedS13
07-28-2007, 10:54 AM
bose sucks - the company makes horrible products, from speakers to systems.

QFT. and it's nice to see this response more and more. people need to realize bose is overpriced junk.

as for Technics... didn't know they made headphones, although i wouldn't be surprised. i've got an old Technics turntable in my living room, and an ancient Technics reciever in the garage. both are awesome, Technics makes (or made) some solid shit.

bchumley
07-30-2007, 05:57 AM
Sennheiser def has some models that should be explored. All I have is the HD212Pro and I really really like them for the price. Kinda bass heavy, but that usually works well for my music.

Edgar
07-30-2007, 06:28 AM
honestly phillips makes some good shit, i use these plug in looking things when i got work out and i love them
ear wax gets all in them, sweat, and they just never die.
i sold them to some dude on here, and yes i cleaned them up

but looks like you guys are talking about bigger headphones
i have some matrix looking ones with a mic that i used when i played bf2 and css and stuff, ill post a pic of them later

MrD
07-30-2007, 07:48 AM
while i have no idea what those may sound like.. they LOOK fucking SICK. any chance i could find a pair of those to be tested in a store?
70's FTW
I wouldn't know, I found in a local high end audio store.
But you could always give Grado a call, I'm sure they'll be able to point you towards a local shop.

TiNMAN
07-30-2007, 01:18 PM
Technics makes (or made) some solid shit.

helltotheyea, they still do! their 1200's have been industry standard for 20+ years! as for their headphones, my buddy has em and they're great. we use em at all of our gigs. a bit pricey but a lot sturdier than the mdr700s. i think they have a better frequency range as well. GO MF TECHNICS GO!

jkeisser
07-30-2007, 04:54 PM
I love my bluetooth headsets..
No wires no mess!

BustedS13
07-30-2007, 07:27 PM
I love my bluetooth headsets..
No wires no mess!

no wires no power :/

and now looking at these technics headphones... i need to go down to a hifi shop and try out some different sets. shit.

whitefro
07-30-2007, 09:23 PM
i have the sennheiser 485hd and for under 100$ they are the jam, i was a little disappointed prebreak-in, but once they are broken in (about 6-8 hours) and they sound awesome. best phones for the money in my opinion.

The Island
07-30-2007, 09:40 PM
grados shouldnt be used in a work environment because they are open type headphones. meaning that every will be able to hear what u are listening too. BOSE is wack shit. Good starter headphones are Sennheiser HD280, Sony MDR-7506, and Grado SR-60. The Senns and Sonys are both closed design so they will not leak out sound when put on, but they are otherwise complete opposites. The bass and treble on the Sonys are rediculous, cool at first but they get "tiring" to listen with. The Senns are more mellow but offer the same amount of clarity. The Grados are in between IMO, but they are open-design, as previously mentioned.

As far as your purchase on the V700s, they are decent headphones but I personally wouldve went with my 3 previous recommendations. The 700s are meant for DJ use and thus have an emphasis on bass, but not necessarily clarity.

hope this helps some people out.

BustedS13
07-30-2007, 09:56 PM
well, i am looking for a pair with some more serious bass... when i read that people thought the v700's put out too much bass, i took that as a positive thing :D

The Island
07-30-2007, 11:48 PM
in the end, its all about personal preference.

BustedS13
08-01-2007, 07:22 PM
update: holy shit. i'm going to go deaf.

miucus
08-02-2007, 04:59 PM
i am a dj and i use sony mdr-xd400. i also use them when i play games.

turtl631
08-18-2007, 03:18 PM
I have used the MDR-V150s for about 3 years now, those are my "casual" headphones,... my 150s are usually draped over my computer monitor, in case someone is home and sleeping, or I just don't feel like bothering everyone in the house with the speakers I normally use,

I had crap headphones so I looked around and these looked like a good deal. Got some for $21 shipped on ebay- they're pretty nice! I'm happy, finally some comfortable headphones that sound good and don't cost a ton. My gym blasts crappy music, so these will be nice for drowning that out, and for studying, etc.

Phlip
08-18-2007, 03:34 PM
I had crap headphones so I looked around and these looked like a good deal. Got some for $21 shipped on ebay- they're pretty nice! I'm happy, finally some comfortable headphones that sound good and don't cost a ton. My gym blasts crappy music, so these will be nice for drowning that out, and for studying, etc.

Precisely...
Can't beat the 150s for the price

SochBAT
08-19-2007, 07:46 PM
I don't DJ or anything, but just listen to music with my headphones. I've always HATED earbuds. They never fit right, always irritated my ears, and just bugged the shit outta me.

But i've got AIWA X301 SuperBass headphones. Copped it for a few bucks from a buddy who was upgrading his shit, and i've been a happy camper since. I do wanna get me something new tho. Just to spoil myself.

Matej
08-19-2007, 07:55 PM
well, i am looking for a pair with some more serious bass... when i read that people thought the v700's put out too much bass, i took that as a positive thing :D
Hah, good thread, my headphones are going out, and I need something with better bass anyway.