PDA

View Full Version : Oil smells like gasoline...

AdamP
07-25-2007, 03:59 PM
The motor we are talking about is an S13 redtop... basic modifications: FMIC, intake, 3" turbo back, atmospherically venting BOV

For what I can recall the motor has been ran on mineral oil but since my last change I decide to go synthetic. There were no leaks whatsoever and no smoking. This swap was made ELF Excellium (5W40) at 62,500mi and the oil came out at 65,000mi smelling like gas and it was fairly dark brown.

Car never smokes/consumes any oil and pulls fine.

Today I just went back to regular mineral oil (Castrol GTX 10W40) and a day later the oil after the change (maybe like 50mi on the car) the oil is smelling like gas. Would the smell be caused mainly by the cylinders running rich due to the atmospheric vent? Since the car doesn't smoke I can't see the rings being THAT bad.

Ultimately when I have time on the weekend I am going to do a compression test to see what's up but for now I'd just like a few opinions.

Should I be running synthetic or mineral? Any oils that would prevent blowby better? I was looking at the Royal Purple (Moly additive in there as well) as it looks like it would prevent blow-by pretty well. Maybe the rings/cylinders and somewhat sooted up which would caues this gas seepage into the oil sump.

steve shadows
07-25-2007, 04:01 PM
change your oil, run alittle lucas in it.

or

build a fresh bottom end with new rings and lands

yay!

ps. your timing could be a little off coupled with bad injector o-rings or your base fuel pressure is set too high.

usually this only happens with sr's running HUGE injectors. ie 850cc...and un-tuned...

SINxSELEKTAH
07-25-2007, 10:09 PM
grab your oil dipstick, check your oil level, apply oil from dipstick to your finger, rub your oil blotted finger and your thumb together (like your motioning for money) for a few minutes. if the oil on your finger & thumb evaporates, that means you have gasoline in your oil.

why do you have gasoline in your oil?

your fuel pressure regulator might have ruptured. test it and confirm

scarecrow27
07-25-2007, 10:13 PM
gas in ur oil = bad piston rings

SINxSELEKTAH
07-25-2007, 10:17 PM

nah...bad piston rings would result in a compression loss and your air/fuel mixture would breath out and into the PCV system

shadowBOXIN
07-26-2007, 12:29 AM
The oil in my n/a ka smelt of gas as well. It was noticable by just smelling the dipstick.

Chrischeezer
07-26-2007, 01:47 AM

lol... wtf...

SINxSELEKTAH
07-26-2007, 01:50 AM
lol... wtf...

my thoughts exactly