PDA

View Full Version : Travelling to Japan, need suggestions.

D1champ
07-20-2007, 07:55 AM
Hey guys, i'm heading over to Japan in mid-august. I'll be in Tokyo to start with and planning to head to Inuyama, nagoya and Fukuroi. I would also take a stop in Kyoto and Mt. Fuji during my trip. But while i'm in tokyo, nagoya & kyoto, can people suggest place to stay on the cheap and night spots to check out...general suggestions for the trip basically. I'm a 5'11" 210lbs gaijin white boy, hoping to go out to place where I won't get totally ignored or insulted. I know that sounds bad to say but my cousin is living there and it's an every day occurence for him, so basically gaijin friendly bars and club suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks ya'll

EvilRB
07-20-2007, 08:02 AM
I have no suggestions for you, but I think everyone will agree with me when I say, have a Great trip! You lucky bastard!!

oh and wear a shirt that has this on it:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/psimotoring/LookingForaJapGF.jpg
It's saids that your looking for a Japanese girlfriend! I'm sure you'll get some with that!

Okinawandrifter87
07-20-2007, 08:36 AM
Hahaha i love that idea for the shirt lol

speedstar01
07-20-2007, 08:48 AM
Luccccckkkkkyyyyy!!!!!!

SilviaNinja240
07-20-2007, 08:49 AM
For things to see and do as well as gaijin friendly hotels, I'd say you check out the Lonely Planet guide books. The have one on Japan and one on Tokyo that i'm aware of, I'm not sure if they published any other books of the Kansai area however. I'm sure your cousin can help you too O(≧▽≦)O

djkowai
07-20-2007, 12:46 PM
you wont stick out in tokyo...hella gaijin there if you go to the big areas. when you go to kyoto...id recommend going to kiyomizudera, its a really cool old temple and the view of kyoto is amazing. there is some temples in a forest in the middle of the city too. But i forget the name, its home to the famous golden temple. do you know any japanese or going to be travelling with someone that knows japanese? o yeah definitely go eat shabu shabu, super good! also try out a kosu..its pretty much a set of food you order, everyone pays about 20-30 bucks and you eat a feast. best part is you pay 10 bucks more and you get unlimited drinks for 2 hours. most of all have fun!!

Dousan_PG
07-20-2007, 01:10 PM
have fun
ill be there in october
tokyo yokohama and gunma
staying w/ friends woo woo
eat lots of food and enjoy your time
have fun
most people are SUPER nice to foreigners, i never had any problems at all last 2 times i went.

azndoc
07-20-2007, 01:24 PM
Yeah dude you won't have any trouble there.

Be sure to bring some yen when you climb Mr. Fuji so that you can get the fuji stick and then get the stamps at every station. Oh by the way the climb sucks, I'm never doing it again.

zackt69
07-20-2007, 01:35 PM
Just treat everyone respectfully and they'll do the same. I've been a few times now, and have never felt ignored or insulted (I'm 5'10 190 shaved head) - the only time I had any kind of "special attention" was when I was parts shopping close to the military base. I guess a lot of the shop owners have had bad experiences with some of the military, and my friend explained because of my build and hair cut that the shop owners were following me around :) Still not rude, just watching me... and after talking to em a little they came around and even gave me deals, so no big deal.

Other than that, Kyoto is awesome... lots of old temples and gardens, you'll love it. The 2 I liked the best are the Sanjusangendo temple and the Fushimi Inari Shrine.

http://farstrider.net/Japan/Kyoto/Sanjusangendo.htm
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3915.html

In August it will be very hot and humid... that's the only bad part, but you'll get used to it. To save money, stay away from all the tourist/american resturaunts and take a chance on the places where you can't read the menu. The food is always great and the prices are a lot more reasonable... plus you can always take the waiter outside and point at the plastic food in the window. Oh and another thing to keep in mind is that the subway stops running at midnight (unless it's changed) and doesn't start back up till 5am. So you either need to be close to your hotel, go back before midnight, or prepare to pay a lot for a taxi ride :)

Have a great time... I can't wait to go back myself-

S13SilviaGirl
07-20-2007, 10:04 PM
HonkeKamadoya....the bomb shizzle food, and cheap!

D1champ
07-23-2007, 09:57 AM
Well as it turns out i'll also be in Osaka too and i'd like to know if anyone on this board lives there. I'd like to see some nocturnal drifting while i'm there.

kanagawa_kouki
07-24-2007, 04:24 AM
Well if you stop near Kanagawa, I can take you to go see some late night drifting JAPAN STYLE!!! Woo Woo.. shit happens everrynight

yokotas13
07-24-2007, 05:19 AM
have fun
ill be there in october
tokyo yokohama and gunma
staying w/ friends woo woo
eat lots of food and enjoy your time
have fun
most people are SUPER nice to foreigners, i never had any problems at all last 2 times i went.
yo
lewt me know when your here
id like to put faces with names