PDA

View Full Version : Help me fix my work computer so I don't get fired!

Wahl 136
07-18-2007, 03:58 PM
The computer is running on Windows 2000 (POS :rl: ). Anyhow, the person that worked there last gave themselves Admin rights to the computer so now nobody can log in to the computer. On top of that there are files that need to be retreived still and my boss is riding my ass to come up with a solution.

So the question is when the windows prompted username/password screen comes up, after you first turn it on is there a way to override the existing password? Or atleast change the password without losing prior work?

S14DB
07-18-2007, 04:31 PM
NTFS? Encrypted File System?

Wahl 136
07-18-2007, 04:51 PM
NTFS? Encrypted File System?

There is no encrypted file system. I know of NTFS but I don't believe the system runs on it. The network comprises of 6 work stations and 3 laptops.

It's verizion DSL with wireless hub, there is no spyware or encryption on the computer. As far as I know the program files / user accounts is the only thing preventing me from giving myself the admin rights. But I still lose my files if I don't get in to the current admin account.

sikkk240
07-18-2007, 05:03 PM
have you tried guessing a few obvious passwords?
like - admin
ive also just pressed ok, and it let me in, without a password.

Try contacting the guy that used to work there.

I hope that helps man..
tell your boss, i said hes an asshole.

Wahl 136
07-18-2007, 05:26 PM
have you tried guessing a few obvious passwords?
like - admin
ive also just pressed ok, and it let me in, without a password.

Try contacting the guy that used to work there.

I hope that helps man..
tell your boss, i said hes an asshole.

I tired all the obvious stuff, admin, password the name of the company the name of the worker to no avail.

haha I would tell him that but then I would definatly get fired.

sikkk240
07-18-2007, 06:10 PM
damn..

well good luck, i hope you dont get fired.

delphis
07-18-2007, 06:25 PM
pull out drive put it into another machine or an external case. take out important files and then reformat drive. problem solved.

as for getting around the password try searching google for a way around an admin password. since windows 2000 was mainly used in business applications, they did implement a way to get around the password just in a case like this. it might involve going in and editing some files in dos but I have never worked with 2000 but I used to do it in NT(predecessor) to 2000. if not call microsoft.

s13rookie
07-18-2007, 06:26 PM
couldnt you just pull the hdd out and run it as a slave of another comp?

Edit: NM, i type too slow

Matej
07-18-2007, 06:59 PM
http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm

LB.Motoring
07-18-2007, 10:05 PM
Ive done it Via Safe mode,

creating a new admin user,
getting in that way.

ixfxi
07-19-2007, 02:23 AM
Win2k rocks, I still run that shit because its quick and stable.

If there's an account that you can login under, you may be able to change the admin's password (if you have enough access).

Otherwise, you can just re-install over that copy of windows, or hook the drive up as a slave.

Vision Garage
07-19-2007, 03:34 AM
yea, hook it as a slave and then change your master to be the new admin of the files. Then you can access all the data. After you get what you need, reformat and tell your boss to give you a raise!

ixfxi
07-19-2007, 09:46 AM
After you get what you need, reformat and tell your boss to give you a raise!

or better yet, if your boss is a woman

ask for a blowjob, it always works.

myriad
07-19-2007, 09:53 AM
get an external hard drive, plug it in (if possible). Download Knoppix (http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html) and get their live CD. Pop that in - load it up - you should then be able to view your hard drive on the computer. Find files, drag to external hd, give to boss.

In regards to the password.. meh.. there are plenty of utilities on the web to let you reset/alter/remove the password for the admin account.