PDA

View Full Version : serious whiring problem.

JDMClifford
06-29-2007, 03:52 AM
so about 6 months ago my chassis whring harness cought on fire. no damage to the car just the harness. so i pulled out and fixed it the best i could. and its acting up agan. a brown relay on the fuse box is clicking at randome times when hust sitting. so i wiggled all the wires around and nothing changed. first off anyone know what the relay is for? i noticed the warning lights dont work when its out but my harness is so messed i cant sell anything else. an option is to buy a painless whiring kit and make my own harness. how hard is that to do? i am very good at whiring but it just looks like it will be hard for the dash forward. that white box it killing me. i just need some advice or maby some pictures of someone who has done this.

here is a cupple pics of what happend 6 months ago.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b43/aifviper/crap.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b43/aifviper/yep.jpg

nassin31spr
06-29-2007, 04:56 AM
You should just go to your local junk yard and spend a couple of hours pulling the harness off a similar clean car. Painless has some pretty easy systems but for the money your better off getting a stock one. Do you know what made your WIRING catch on fire in the first place?

projectRDM
06-29-2007, 08:32 AM
WIRING

Neither one of you can spell for fuck. The burned wire is red/blue, correct? That's a parking light wire, so one of the parking lights or illumination circuits in the dash is shorted. I also see a 25A fuse in the fusebox, there is no fuse of that high a rating in the car so that's probably one of the problems. Replace it and any others with the proper size fuse and you'll probably correct any problems you're currently having, or at least narrow it down by blowing the fuse instead of burning the harness up.

Vision Garage
06-29-2007, 11:17 AM
Yes, got to a junkyard and buy a new harness. it would be easier and less time consuming. You probably only need hte inner harness so it should be quick. If you still want to do a repair, do what Russ said.

mRclARK1
06-29-2007, 02:56 PM
I also see a 25A fuse in the fusebox, there is no fuse of that high a rating in the car so that's probably one of the problems.

It's in the wiper motor/washer fuse... it should be a 20 amp IIRC.

Just get a new harness.

nani
06-29-2007, 04:47 PM
lol whiring ....

Z U L8R
06-30-2007, 01:47 AM
WIRING

Neither one of you can spell for fuck. The burned wire is red/blue, correct? That's a parking light wire, so one of the parking lights or illumination circuits in the dash is shorted. I also see a 25A fuse in the fusebox, there is no fuse of that high a rating in the car so that's probably one of the problems. Replace it and any others with the proper size fuse and you'll probably correct any problems you're currently having, or at least narrow it down by blowing the fuse instead of burning the harness up.

+1

put the correct amp fuses in.
over amping a circuit can definately be the culprit with a wiring fire. check and see if you have any brake lights out. sometimes a dual filament bulb will have one of the filaments break off and rest on the other, thus backfeeding the circuit and causing all kinds of funky shit. if you don't have any bulbs out, then yeah i'd definately just grab a harness out of a parts car rather than rewiring everything. good luck man
Dave

JDMClifford
07-02-2007, 03:28 AM
ya i didnt put that fuse in. i accualy didnt look in side that pannel till it started smoking and all my lights went out. but i did have a tail light out so i fixed the problem with the tail lights but thats not the only wire that got messed up. 5 or 6 did. i went to the junk yards and i can never find a 240 thats the same model. always auto or non power windows. or both.

everything works right now except my power seatbelts dont work unless the car is on and that brown relay clicked a bunch. what the hell is that relay 4? cand figure it out for the life of me.

projectRDM
07-02-2007, 07:29 AM
The FSM will tell you.