PDA

View Full Version : white bunny ran into a problem.

ROTTEN EGG
06-28-2007, 12:00 AM
i know the larger flywheel is going to grind off the hump on the dust cover but when i torque the flywheel down it always ends up off because of uneven ground from the hump. does the flywheel grind the whole hump off? if so i'd rather grind it off myself then risking my flywheel getting loose after the hump gets grinded off on its own. Does the flywheel grind the hump to the point where there is a hole in the dust cover or does it just grind it down prety thin? worried about debris going in.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b330/itzgordon/dustcover.jpg

breakindrifts
06-28-2007, 12:12 AM
How about you just don't run a dust cover? I'd rather do that than grind shit, it's not that necessary, or just trim that piece of entirely. If it was me I'd run no cover.

sideview_180sx
06-28-2007, 12:16 AM
I've never heard of anyone having to grind down the RB20 flywheel. check the thread again on freshalloy.

markyboi
06-28-2007, 12:21 AM
ive been trying to find the answer to this too..

ROTTEN EGG
06-28-2007, 12:24 AM
the articles ive read said that it takes a few mins for the flywheel to grind the hump off after start up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOpQQbqouVc

i'd run no dust cover but ive heard bad things about debris getting inside and causing premature clutch failure. just woundering if anyone can tell me if the whole hump gets grinded off so i can just grab the dremel and go at it.

Z U L8R
06-28-2007, 08:48 AM
i'm running no cover at the moment. before and after, i don't have to press my clutch pedal as hard, i'm running an OS Geiken super single unsprung 6 puck clutch/flywheel so my pedal's pretty damn stiff. i forgot to put the cover on and i already had the motor in place when i realized it so i said fuck it and continued. haven't ran into any problems thus far, i haven't had anything get caught up in there, but at the same time i don't park the car in grassy fields lol if i did i'd have a 400horse lawnmower perhaps =]

you won't have any problems if you just take it off, if your flywheel grinds on it you might want to check if your crank has front to rear end play ie thrust bearing, you shouldn't have any movement, a mm tops. don't let the plate grind on the flywheel, either hammer the hump flat, cut the hump, or take that joker off. you'll be ok. good luck man, rb's sound so much better than sr's muwhahhahahhahahhhahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahh a

jilo
06-28-2007, 08:54 AM
im sorry i have to say this, the flywheel is not a fucking grinding stone or a cutoff wheel. if theres contact, you should have cut the hump off yourself. wtf? who lets the internal parts of a spinning assembly "grind to fit" i dont think ive ever heard that term and i dont want to. no wonder its a cheap setup, looks like cheap work goes into it also.

oh yea one more thing. im sure the heat buildup while "grinding to fit" the hump is really good for the flywheel also. well that and the gouges in the back of it.

Phlip
06-28-2007, 09:03 AM
+1 for just removing the cover, I didn't have one right at hand when my 5-speed swap was done and I was using a stock clutch, and I didn't worry about looking for one when I changed to the white bunny a little over a year ago.

Slidin240Wayz
06-28-2007, 10:27 AM
Use a dremel and cut it off. Keep the dust plate, it is there for a good reason.

I cannot believe someone would be willing to sacrifice their crankchaft by leaving it in place.

Carlos

ROTTEN EGG
06-28-2007, 06:51 PM
well considering what you guys are saying about no dust cover ill just grind that hump off and run a small hole instead of nothing. How does the bunyn feel on rev up compared to stock and aftermarket?

240sxaddict
06-28-2007, 08:19 PM
i made a write up for this setup on 240sxforums... just remove the cover...

Phlip
06-28-2007, 09:44 PM
well considering what you guys are saying about no dust cover ill just grind that hump off and run a small hole instead of nothing. How does the bunyn feel on rev up compared to stock and aftermarket?

It feels stock, the clutch and flywheel themselves are no bigger or heavier, just have larger contact surfaces, and that is the fun of the game. Pedal feel is PERFECTLY stock, with a slight bit more "bite" to the clutch itself, you'll get used to it and not notice.

jilo
06-29-2007, 10:44 AM
i made a write up for this setup on 240sxforums... just remove the cover...

holy shit i never see you over here.. welcome to hell, less terrible noob questions though.

240sxaddict
06-29-2007, 12:01 PM
that's because I ony have 6, well 7 now, posts... just signed up to answer on a thread made about my rollcages, and to see a few builds...