PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Distributor Cap/Rotor replacement

Powerzen2002
08-18-2002, 09:09 PM
This maybe stupid question .. but I notice there is 2 different replacements for the distrib. cap/rotor head.

One by mitsu. and the other by hitachi.  I know nissan
uses the hitachi.  But, I was wondering if there is any
difference. Life, power, etc.

Thanks.

tnord
08-19-2002, 12:39 AM
my cap has a mitsu logo on it.......and it's an OEM nissan part.

uiuc240
08-19-2002, 08:20 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Powerzen2002 @ Aug. 18 2002,10:09)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This maybe stupid question .. but I notice there is 2 different replacements for the distrib. cap/rotor head.

One by mitsu. and the other by hitachi. I know nissan
uses the hitachi. But, I was wondering if there is any
difference. Life, power, etc.

Thanks.</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
the situation you are talking about is specific to the SOHC. &nbsp;the distributors are actually different. &nbsp;if you have a Hitachi, you have to get that cap and rotor. &nbsp;only other way to do it would be to swap out the entire distributor...

Eric

Powerzen2002
08-20-2002, 10:02 AM
Thats strange. &nbsp;Which is stock? &nbsp;When I bought the car
there was a Mitsu Cap on there, When I went to do a
tuneup myself a week ago I went to nissan and they
sold me a Hitachi Cap instead. &nbsp;I would assume the Hitachi
is stock? or no. &nbsp;they work exactly thye same.

Thanks.

HippoSleek
08-20-2002, 10:07 AM
They are both stock, OEM items. &nbsp;Nissan used TWO DIFFERENT ones at the factory. &nbsp;Look at the part and get the stuff for the one you have. &nbsp;That's it. &nbsp;I wouldn't use Hitachi stuff on a Mitsu. even if it fit b/c it might not be exactly right (and vice-versa).

Powerzen2002
08-20-2002, 01:33 PM
Well ... this is true. &nbsp;I have not been under the hood to check .. but does the distributor itself say mitsu or hitachi
on it? &nbsp;Its got to right?

Also, heres another question for ya ... is it a good idea to
advance the timeing a little? &nbsp;Will this give me gains or
no on a stock 240 ('90 s13). &nbsp;I am installing a ram air and
exhaust in the next couple of months. &nbsp;should I wait?

sxtasy
08-20-2002, 04:08 PM
I advanced my timing on my SOHC from 15 degrees to 22 a little at a time making sure there was no detonation, of course I use high octane fuel, and I did notice an improvement in low end power (The A/C being on doesn't effect my power as much)

-Steve

Powerzen2002
08-20-2002, 09:27 PM
HEY! &nbsp;THATS NOTHER QUESTION. ... .. This is the first summer I have my 240sx. How come when the A/C on it feels like I have 80 horsepower. &nbsp;The second I turn off the compressor I get mah power back?

Is there any way of fixiing this? &nbsp;Also, with detonation ... how is it possible to hear it. &nbsp;Lets say &nbsp;I wanna advance it. How will I know when to stop? &nbsp;I dont wanna screw up my engine.

Thanks again!

aqwkmf
08-20-2002, 09:45 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Powerzen2002 @ Aug. 20 2002,10:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">HEY! THATS NOTHER QUESTION. ... .. This is the first summer I have my 240sx. How come when the A/C on it feels like I have 80 horsepower. The second I turn off the compressor I get mah power back?

Is there any way of fixiing this? Also, with detonation ... how is it possible to hear it. Lets say I wanna advance it. How will I know when to stop? I dont wanna screw up my engine.

Thanks again!</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
you lose ~9 hp when u turn on the A/C...its common sense...ur turning on another accessory thats going to use more electric and the engine has to turn another belt. thats why some people remove the A/C and power steering.

uiuc240
08-21-2002, 09:03 AM
First off, your A/C compressor WILL shut off if you give the car FULL throttle. &nbsp;Otherwise, yes, it will be slow. &nbsp;Try it next time. &nbsp;Turn on the A/C, floor it, and in about 2 seconds, the air in the vents will be warm again. &nbsp;Neat, huh?

About the timing. &nbsp;Advance it bit by bit until you hear pinging as you drive up a hill. &nbsp;Or do it right by getting a timing light. &nbsp;Personally, the gains you will see (basically none) are not worth the effort. &nbsp;Just leave it alone.

Eric

Powerzen2002
08-21-2002, 11:09 PM
AAHHhhh.... good facts. Definately. &nbsp;Question... what If I
get an electric fan? &nbsp; Maybe add a Cap. &nbsp;Will that help in
anyway? &nbsp;I hate it, it bogs me down hard core. &nbsp;Feels like
Im driving a freakin civic haha.

Thanks again.

Mtt22
08-23-2002, 04:54 PM
ok, obviously you dont get that the belt needs to physically turn a compresson, the compressor presurrizes the r-12(orwhatever they use in a 240), so the compressor needs to take horsepower away from your engine to compress the coolant, there is no way around this other than taking yoru ac out or not using it.