PDA

View Full Version : $$$$ for your cats in SoCal

nissanguy13
06-10-2007, 04:40 PM
I just wanted everyone to know that there is a guy in the San Diego area that will buy your used/destroyed cats. He gave me $50 for my cat off my 91 hatch.
Depending on the shape your cat is in and what it came off determines how much you will get. The guy's name is Mike. His number is (760)802-7374.

Kevin

5t341tH
06-10-2007, 04:43 PM
nice. now i can go gather a whole bunch of cats and make some BANK

eastcoastS14
06-10-2007, 04:57 PM
hahahah im pretty sure this is illegal

MURPHY
06-10-2007, 05:00 PM
^haha word. man someone at the dealership yesterday had a car that someone took the cat out of downtown in broad day light. was a newer rav 4 5 speed sounded kinda manly lol

i dropped the clutch in it let everyone know i got the manly rav4 lol

nissanguy13
06-10-2007, 05:02 PM
no its completely legal. The guy sells them to some guy in Kentucky or something and they refurbish them or some shit.

adrians_s13
06-10-2007, 05:16 PM
isn't theyre like platinum in the cats too? iirc, there was cats being stolen off cars because of the platinum thats inside or something ghetto like that...

blaze1
06-10-2007, 06:23 PM
hhahahahahah

for a moment i thought you guys were talking about real cats

I was thinking "this is just plain wrong"

MURPHY
06-10-2007, 06:25 PM
hhahahahahah

haha yea i was wondering why there was a cat on his hatch

Manhitbytran
06-10-2007, 06:28 PM
haha yea i was wondering why there was a cat on his hatch

HAHA, poor used/destroyed cats

backroadtouge
06-10-2007, 06:53 PM
ya people are jacking cats to get the gold and platinum out. real ghetto!! but prices on that stuff rose crazyly and all bunkness is going down. people will jack them in daylight on the street. saw it on teh_news lol.

Phlip
06-10-2007, 07:00 PM
^^^ That is actually the case with a lot of metals, expecially (oddly enough) copper, as of late too.
There was this woman who owns an unoccupied rental property here in NC, someone broke in one day and stole ALL her copper piping and shit to sell for scrap metal, apparently they're getting more for that then they are aluminum these days

DOOK
06-10-2007, 07:10 PM
^^^ That is actually the case with a lot of metals, expecially (oddly enough) copper, as of late too.
There was this woman who owns an unoccupied rental property here in NC, someone broke in one day and stole ALL her copper piping and shit to sell for scrap metal, apparently they're getting more for that then they are aluminum these days

oh yeah, up here in west virginia some rednecks are actually hooking their trucks to old power lines and pulling the lines down for the copper. That and they are going mine diving in old coal mines for the copper there, idiots, that is dangerous.

Jung918
06-10-2007, 09:29 PM
We use alot of copper at work and the left over pieces I recycle them. It is $1.15 per pound at the recycle yard.

Vatche
06-11-2007, 11:02 AM
yeh people get electrocuted stealing the copper lines off power lines.

but yeh there is platinum in the cat. i know lots of people who all check the cat if it has it or whatever.

steve shadows
06-11-2007, 11:11 AM
hhahahahahah

yeah i was totally thinking they meant real cats.

:destroyed cats?:confused: haha:keke:

brainfood
06-11-2007, 11:28 AM
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f399/brainfood1182/IMG_0281.jpg

You couldnt afford him

drifting_changed_mylife
06-11-2007, 12:06 PM
^^^^^ LMAO!!!!!! ur nutz!

axiomatik
06-11-2007, 12:30 PM

I read somewhere that something like 1/3 of all the copper believed to exist in the earth's crust has already been mined. The price has skyrocketed in the last few years.

soreballz
06-12-2007, 03:11 AM
Awesome. I've got three spares. Sweeeeet.

articdragon192
06-12-2007, 09:41 PM
Will gutted ones work?

nissanguy13
06-13-2007, 08:27 AM
Will gutted ones work?

Im not sure. I think they have to be in good enough shape to refurbish. He looked inside mine at the honeycomb before he bought it.

nissanguy13
03-23-2008, 01:27 AM
I'm bringing this back up so anybody that didn't see it could. I just sold him another one today and got $95 for it.

kouki_silvia
03-23-2008, 01:35 AM
does he only buy 240 cats? or cats off any car?

ayuaddict
03-23-2008, 04:34 AM
why would it matter?

its the same cat in most nissans.

so im guessing cats off any car.

HyperTek
03-23-2008, 09:52 AM
just the other day @ my work, i got a company emaili stating that cat theift is blowing up, about 3 cars got thier cats jacked in the parking lot, all where newer to late model SUVs. The email stated that these thieves are cashing in on the cats due to their worth value..

So will this mean getting smog repairs/replacement parts are going to be pricey in california?? its gonna hurt the economy.

CrimsonRockett
03-23-2008, 10:02 AM
My dad's '96 Nissan Pickup's cat was stolen a few months ago(right in front of our house).

I've started to notice lately that most trucks have a shiny new middle section(from being so low, it's pretty easy to see). High chance they got their cat's stolen too.

Most aftermarket cats are cheap for older cars, but expect to pay out of the ass for newer cars.

What I would suggest is, take your car in to a muffler shop. Have them weld 1" of the flange together on both sides.(This is really meant for people with trucks because they are easy targets for thieves.)

That would easily prevent a thief from stealing your cat because it would take too much work and make too much noise to steal your cat.

Most members on here don't have to worry about that though.

My car's too low to gain access to it.

2" clearance on sides, 1" clearance up front.

Haha.

nissanguy13
03-23-2008, 12:28 PM
^^^ ya same here, I can't even get a regular jack under my car. that sucks about your dad's truck

Ive heard cats getting stolen was becoming a problem, but I didn't realize it was becoming a huge thing.

He'll buy any cat as long as it is OEM.

Disclaimer: I'm not suggesting that you go steal cats and sell them to this guy, only ones that you have laying around in YOUR house or the ones off YOUR car.

flclsteve
03-23-2008, 02:06 PM
http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8049576
dam

soreballz
03-23-2008, 02:30 PM
I just sold him another one today and got $95 for it.
I just sold a mint stock s14 dp/cat for 25 bucks. DAMMIT.

What I would suggest is, take your car in to a muffler shop. Have them weld 1" of the flange together on both sides.(This is really meant for people with trucks because they are easy targets for thieves.)

That would easily prevent a thief from stealing your cat because it would take too much work and make too much noise to steal your cat.

Theives commonly cut them off, actually, so welding the flange won't really stop them. lol... They either use a Sawzall or this thing thats like a chain with blades on it. You wrap it around the pipe, twist a few times, and you have your cut.

I got a better idea... When I worked for Toyota, we had at least one person a week coming in with a stolen cat. Most often it was the mid-90s V6 4Runners, but every now and then a Taco or Sequioa would come in. Anywho... After we replaced the cat (which was usually covered by the customer's insurance), we'd send the car to the street to our muffler guy, and he'd weld a 16 guage steel plate to the framerails so that you can't get to the cat.

downshift_sideways
03-23-2008, 02:35 PM
I had a 93 nissan pickup truck and the cat got stolen out of it.

It was pretty funny. I was halfway awake around 3am going to work, and turned the car on. I almost shitted in my pants!

andmattsayd
03-23-2008, 02:41 PM
hhahahahahah

WOOO! soo did i!
shizz i was like what the??
who has used/destroyed kitties?! haha
thats too out of control....