PDA

View Full Version : help me keep my job.

brokenben
06-07-2007, 09:49 PM
and go see our new release tomorrow.

...i dunno. take your gf/kid/bro/sis/random neighborhood kid.. or something.

http://www.icicom.up.pt/blog/take2/surfs_up.jpg

hmm.. work now?

Wahl 136
06-07-2007, 10:04 PM
and go see our new release tomorrow.

...i dunno. take your gf/kid/bro/sis/random neighborhood kid.. or something.

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/images/movie/large/Surfs_up_(2007).jpg

Picture(S) don't work, so what am I going to see?

brokenben
06-07-2007, 10:10 PM
Surf's Up.

message.

S13SilviaGirl
06-07-2007, 10:20 PM
There is no links...no pics....

What are we doing?

eastcoastS14
06-07-2007, 10:28 PM
so you worked on the movie??

qwikspool
06-07-2007, 10:38 PM
huh?? you talking about the movie. more info about the location.

brokenben
06-07-2007, 10:45 PM
no but i work for the studio.

It's "Surf's Up". A movie about surfing penguins basically. Opening tomorrow... pretty much everywhere.

BC240
06-08-2007, 01:25 AM
I was already forced to see one penguin movie this year, ive reached my quota.

Edgar
06-08-2007, 01:28 AM
happpppppppppppy feeet

BustedS13
06-08-2007, 01:30 AM
cgi has killed animation. i award you no purchased movie tickets, and may god have mercy on your soul.

ManoNegra
06-08-2007, 09:20 AM
Wow, an anthropomorphic penguin movie. That's nuts! What will they think of next...

jk

But in all seriousness this would be the only one I'd watch. Been seeing the teasers and trailers for a bit now and though formulaic and predictable as it looks it's got some appeal aswell. Think the kiddies will dig it.

brokenben
06-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Well, now since I actually watched it, I'll say that its not bad actually. I was more entertained than I thought I would be.

CGI killed animation? May God have mercy on my soul?

I'm willing to bet you're the type that drives a 240sx cuz everybody else drives a civic. right?

drifting_changed_mylife
06-08-2007, 11:51 AM
to be honest........... looks pretty good

axiomatik
06-08-2007, 12:19 PM
I heard that it actually began production before Happy Feet, just took a hella long time to complete. From what I've seen, it looks pretty good, and the animation is incredible. I don't agree that CGI has killed animation, I think it has enriched it.

exitspeed
06-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Looks like a total rip-off of Maximum Overdrive.

Oh, wait, no it doesn't, because then I'd be going to see it.

Seriously though, I'm not a big fan of these movies though.

CGI hasn't killed animation. CGI IS animation. I'm sure you meant that it has killed hand drawn animation. It's a new day. And the people that would be doing hand drawn animation are the same people doing the CGI stuff now. Like I said, it's just a different era.

ThatGuy
06-08-2007, 12:36 PM
And the people that would be doing hand drawn animation are the same people doing the CGI stuff now. Like I said, it's just a different era.

Not completely true. I have some artist friends and they said there was a bit of an uproar in the artistic community about Disney and PIXAR. Evidently Disney laid off a rather large number of hand drawn cartoonist in favor of CG Artists. :cry:

exitspeed
06-08-2007, 12:42 PM
Not completely true. I have some artist friends and they said there was a bit of an uproar in the artistic community about Disney and PIXAR. Evidently Disney laid off a rather large number of hand drawn cartoonist in favor of CG Artists. :cry:

I realize that it is happening. I guess I'm referring more to the future. CGI is the present and future and any artists that are going through school now are going to be getting into CGI because that's basically job security. Did that make any sense?

ThatGuy
06-08-2007, 12:44 PM
Completely. :bow:

BustedS13
06-08-2007, 02:38 PM
I'm willing to bet you're the type that drives a 240sx cuz everybody else drives a civic. right?

everybody else drives a civic? last i checked, everybody drives a 240sx.

Folken
06-08-2007, 03:08 PM
no there all still in hondas, but this movie looks awesome, after being dragged to one too many of these CGI movies I've learned that most of them are pretty funny

ManoNegra
06-08-2007, 03:49 PM
CGI hasn't killed animation. CGI IS animation. I'm sure you meant that it has killed hand drawn animation. It's a new day. And the people that would be doing hand drawn animation are the same people doing the CGI stuff now. Like I said, it's just a different era.

Word.
Chicken Run, Wallace and Gromit, The Nightmare Before Christmas... Team America... as long as the shit is good people will will watch it. CGI is the just the latest evolution. People used to complain about green-screen special effects on movies too.

BustedS13
06-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Word.
Chicken Run, Wallace and Gromit, The Nightmare Before Christmas... Team America... as long as the shit is good people will will watch it. CGI is the just the latest evolution. People used to complain about green-screen special effects on movies too.

every single movie you mentioned is stop motion animation.

...edit: except for team america, which is puppets.

Matej
06-08-2007, 04:01 PM
It's like complaining why movies aren't black & white anymore.

Jaykayjaykay, I don't want no trouble.

SochBAT
06-08-2007, 11:18 PM
I for one dugg drawn animations to CGI. I dnno. Seems like its gotten less and less human. When i was attending art class at the local JC, we got to talkin and debating in class about CGI v traditional art. Folks that thought they had job security got booted for younger kids. crap to me.

but Disney did fire +70% of their traditional artists for CGI based artists. A vast majority of the equipment that was used by Disney circa Pen and Paper days was donated to JCs. It sucks there is a decline in traditional art, but there are still careers in it. Just look hard.

One cool thing is every CGI person must have taken some kinda intro Art/Traditional Art class to learn anatomy and such in a hands on way. Woot.

S14DB
06-09-2007, 12:01 AM
http://www.ca.gov/Employment/UnemployDis.html

azndoc
06-09-2007, 02:00 AM
I would support but paying $10 for a movie I'm not interested isn't helpful to my wallet.

So I'll wait till it comes out on dvd. Hopefully that still counts as supporting you.

GL

S13SilviaGirl
06-09-2007, 06:13 AM
I think they are playing that on base soon. I will take the girls to go see it!

brokenben
06-09-2007, 09:21 PM
I wouldn't use disney as an example necessarily. They are notorious throughout the industry for hiring kids straight out of school, using them for a couple years, then when they ask for more money, they ditch them for some more college grads. Its just the way they do business, and they do it for ALL of their positions, although it is more prominent in their creative roles.

With that said, of course CGI is slowly replacing traditional animation, I think its the natrual progression of things.

As for the movie, it actually helps me more directly if you watch it on DVD, since I work in the Home Entertainment division.