PDA

View Full Version : Getting Your Car to the Track

karl wasabi
05-18-2007, 01:40 AM
Hey everybody. I was just wondering how you guys get your cars to the track. Im planning on going to a couple of upcomming drift events, but I dont really know what to do. Do you guys have trailers, do you rent trailers? Or, do you just drive it there? I have over 100 miles to drive to WSIR on coils. Seems like it would be hard on the car and driver. Thoughts?

liv2drift045
05-18-2007, 03:00 AM
Umm... drive it to the track. A good number of people on here that do track there car daily drive it as well. Drive it Or trailer it. Your choice. If you have a truck and a trailer at your disposal and its a more comfortable ride AND you dont mind paying for the extra gas OR it will save you gas money. GO for it.

BoostedCoupe
05-18-2007, 09:15 AM
yeah the track closet to me is like 150+ so when ever i go to an event i plain on trailering it and my friends car. dunno if i would want to drive the car's up their beat on them and then try to drive it back. seem like way to much wear on the can in one or two days.

mr_240sx
05-18-2007, 09:21 AM
driving the car on the highway for 100 some miles wont hurt it..... you guys forget that these cars are factory cars and driving them wont hurt..... just drive it to the trac kdrive it hard at the trac kadn then take it slow back. done and done.

deadpirate
05-18-2007, 10:17 AM
my car isnt registered. and once its running, im prolly going to trailer it to the track anyway. really dont want my track car to get towed by the police

azndoc
05-18-2007, 11:05 AM
The best thing to do since your just starting out with all of this is to just get a AAA card which includes a certain amount of free towing.

Then just drive your car to the track. 100 miles is fine. Only way I wouldn't do it if your car was really flashy, loud exhaust, or something else that might make a cop suspicious.

Brian
05-18-2007, 11:17 AM
turn the key..... turn the steering wheel when needed.... clutch in....clutch out.....shift......brake.....etc.

steve shadows
05-18-2007, 11:22 AM
driving the car on the highway for 100 some miles wont hurt it..... you guys forget that these cars are factory cars and driving them wont hurt..... just drive it to the trac kdrive it hard at the trac kadn then take it slow back. done and done.

you guys dont drive your cars that hard then.

I try to break shit

liv2drift045
05-18-2007, 11:35 AM
I dunno. Driving to ebisu is like 5 hours from me (i haven't drifted there yet but i plan to) thats 5 hrs driving, then drifting for 5 hrs or so... then 5 hours home... I've been there a few times w/ friends and it's always worked out fine.

I have drifted at fuji though. Thats about an hour each way. Broke an axle had to drive home w/ only one. I made it fine though.
I guess if i had a truck and a trailer i might tralier it, but since i dont... i dont.

Yuri
05-18-2007, 12:11 PM
I usually break stuff, and still drive my car to and from the track.

I even drove home from Irwindale after hitting the wall.

Track cars only used on the track are lame.
Case in point. The most awesome thing I've seen on california freeways was a Full Nascar stockcar accelerating up an onramp at dusk. It was an actual NASCAR, sheetmetal body, slicks, cage, open side exit exhaust, stickers for lights, lexan windows, everything. Now that takes some balls.

steve shadows
05-18-2007, 12:28 PM
I usually break stuff, and still drive my car to and from the track.

I even drove home from Irwindale after hitting the wall.

Track cars only used on the track are lame.
Case in point. The most awesome thing I've seen on california freeways was a Full Nascar stockcar accelerating up an onramp at dusk. It was an actual NASCAR, sheetmetal body, slicks, cage, open side exit exhaust, stickers for lights, lexan windows, everything. Now that takes some balls.

I drive my track car all over the place when its running.

But when im pushing 500whp through a 2 liter motor for hours on end, I like to not have to worry about pistons melting.

how the fuck do you drive a car home like that yuri?

I guess if your running oem style setups or conservative motor outputs its ok but when your pushing engines beyond their intended engineering Id like to have a trailor or a uhaul or something to bail me out, at least a friend with one or something, especially if im driving from Long Beach to fucking Button Willow.

I used to drive my drag car in 02-04 to and from the track on drag radials with no interior on race gas, it was fun, but seriously annoying. I want my mind to be rested and relaxed not worried about being stranded.

Ive blown motors 100s of miles away from home on several occassions putting rods through blocks for the sake of competition and squeezing in some visibility for the e-zines and It's not fun. Scraping your body kit or having zip ties rip off is totally different that blowing motors that far from home.

steve shadows
05-18-2007, 12:29 PM
The best thing to do since your just starting out with all of this is to just get a AAA card which includes a certain amount of free towing.

Then just drive your car to the track. 100 miles is fine. Only way I wouldn't do it if your car was really flashy, loud exhaust, or something else that might make a cop suspicious.

exactly :) :coolugh:

liv2drift045
05-18-2007, 12:49 PM
thats what the tow rope is for bro hahaha... me and all the guys i go driving with have one

MELLO*SOS
05-18-2007, 12:50 PM
Hey everybody. I was just wondering how you guys get your cars to the track. Im planning on going to a couple of upcomming drift events, but I dont really know what to do. Do you guys have trailers, do you rent trailers? Or, do you just drive it there? I have over 100 miles to drive to WSIR on coils. Seems like it would be hard on the car and driver. Thoughts?

It's 480 miles to WSIR round trip, for those of us in Vegas. Almost all of us drive our cars down with crossed fingers, drift all day and if lucky we can drive back with no broken trans, diff, clutch or blown motor.

Trailer is a much better option if you have a truck

Yuri
05-18-2007, 01:00 PM
how the fuck do you drive a car home like that yuri?

Pray that a cop doesn't see that a corner of your car is smashed in.
It was a stressful drive.

santacruisin
05-18-2007, 01:06 PM
I wish I could drive my car to the track but it has a 4 inch tip, no cats and shoots flames/black hell smoke all the damn time. Totally fucking illegal.

For me I borrow my bro's F150 and rent a trailer from U Haul. The trailers are hard to find in my area so I gotta reserve one about 2 weeks ahead to be sure. After hooking up the trailer to the truck I park it on a long flat stretch so I can load my car and not get hassled by the pigs.

It has its ups and downs. I can't show off on the street but I also don't have to pay for insurance and it never has to be smogged.

quach
05-18-2007, 01:49 PM
Ive driven to the track (about 60 miles) while having only my first 4 gears and carrying 3 pairs of tires+tools in the car and having a loud ass exhaust. Sure it feels a bit sketchy since you never know if youre car will make it back, but if you're like me and dont have alot of money to toss around then you really have no choice if you wanna drive.

karl wasabi
05-18-2007, 03:04 PM
So you guys that drive. How do you fit all your spare tires, jacks, tools, and parts in your car?

santacruisin
05-18-2007, 03:10 PM
^^^^^take out all the seats and as much of the interior as you can. you should be able to fit four spares, two jacks, two boxes of tools, four jack stands, your helmet and a backpack full of stuff. I do all this with a full cage and a passenger seat so you should be able to also. having a hatch makes it easier

street240
05-18-2007, 03:43 PM
240sx tow package with small trailer...

wootwoot
05-18-2007, 04:00 PM
I'm not worried about driving my non existent track car on the street because of it being rough or getting pulled over. More worried about blowing the motor and then being stranded. Currently I only have my go kart but within two years I will have a Miata and possibly a Formula Ford....Ya know.Some sort of diesel truck or van to tow it around with. A van would be splendid for fitting two/three go karts in and some friends for long trips. Depends how much I get started with for my major. Aie!

theicecreamdan
05-18-2007, 04:02 PM
Do it like a man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am28mc-v8Bk

A Spec Products
05-18-2007, 05:20 PM
Yeah the highest level of AAA (Premier) allows you 4 tows per year

(1) 200 mi max tow and (3) 100 mi max tow

It has saved my ass already once at the track and once for my daily driver

And I think its only like $125 per year?

Much cheaper than paying $7 / MILE on a tow truck

Trying affording that from WSIR to LA

http://permanent-products.com/roughneck.jpg

Get one of these

These help you keep your tools organized and also easy to remove/put in

Keeps oil, paper towels, zipties, etc all in order

rps13drift
05-18-2007, 05:31 PM
Drive it to the track!!! I remember coming home from a local drift event and having to pull over and fix the ride on the side of the parkway. HaHa! any way i would always have one of my buddies come with me in a different(more reliable) car and would have him carry my jack,tools and other equipment!

MELLO*SOS
05-18-2007, 05:52 PM
Like said above if you take out your interior (hatch) then you'll have plenty of room for extra wheels+tires, tools, floor jack, helmets, food cooler, overnight bags (cause I like to stay the night before rather than drive out at 3am), etc. A milk crate is nice and sturdy and holds most of my tools, shop towels, etc.

breakindrifts
05-20-2007, 03:45 AM
I just drive to wsir.

Last time I went had to drive back with a busted rear quarter, tail light was gone.

MomentumGT
05-20-2007, 04:10 AM
You do with what you have. If $$ is tight and you can't afford a tow vehicle and trailer then drive the car to the track whether it be Button Willow, WSIR, or any other track for that matter. If and when moneys good, tow it.

-Jon

G_sl1de
05-20-2007, 01:22 PM
We drive to 4-5 hours sometimes for events.
If something ,someone will help you out.
I have never been stranded at an event.