PDA

View Full Version : My weekend--race truck update

youngmanvr4
05-13-2007, 12:01 AM
Well some of you I am sure have looked at my thread about my race truck.
You can view that thread with pics here (http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=142712)
I thought I'd give you all a little update.

Thursday, 10/5/07, 8:00pm.
It hadn't been running quite right, we thought we fix the problem so we took it out for a test run. Got about a block and BANG! Pulled it back and looked down the spark plug hole; #2 hole in piston. CRAP! Went home thinking of what to do. About 11pm I went back to the shop and started pulling the engine. Quite about 2am with it almost ready to pull.

Friday, 10/5/07, 6:00am.
Go down to the shop and finish pulling it out. Took the head off and the damage was worse than we thought. We didn't just put a hole in the piston, we not only bent a value, we totally broke it. Along with major damage to the valve seat, breaking the retainer, and even worse...broke the cam into 4 pieces. It was about 8am by then and we (we=my dad and I) headed out to work (self employed). Work for 10 hours and then came home.

Friday, 11/5/07, 7:00pm.
Found a guy who had a 87 Ranger 2.0. He didn't know if it ran or if it did run how good. $225 and pulled the truck home. Unloaded it by about 12pm. We decided we should get some rest and get a early start on saturday.

Saturday, 12/5/07, 6:00am.
Started pulling the engine out of the Ranger. The engine was very dirt to once we had most of the externals off we power washed it still it the truck. Finally got it out and running out of time. Had to be at the track at 5:30pm. We had to switch all the externals, everything matches since the engine in before was a 84 Ranger 2.0 and no changes were made through the years. We swapped the intake manifold and crap, removed everything not needed and blocked off a couple things with plates, distributor, clutch and flywheel, oil pan and oil pump, both water necks, fittings for fuel pressure and oil pressure, trannys, pulleys, ect.

Saturday, 12/5/07, 4:00pm.
Got the "new" engine in and she starts up with a little adjusting with the timing (28 degrees advanced with no timing advance hooked up). Let it warm up a little and took it out for testing. Anything above 2,500 rpm it smokes like James Bond with a smoke machine. After our long had work, we decided not to run it with it smoking that. Cleaned up shop and got ready to go watch the races...sadly not driving

Its been a absolutely crazy weekend.
As of right now we are going to try to do everything we can to get it running for next weekend. Tomorrow after noon we are taking the blew piston engine to a guy to work on it and hopefully get it going. But I dont know if he can get it finished by next friday. So we are going to keep looking for a good, running engine and hopefully get something. The head looks like it can be fixed but we'll find out more tomorrow.

So thats my weekend. The life of a racer lol.

Farzam
05-13-2007, 01:40 AM
Badass.

You did what you could and that's 10 times farther than anyone I know would go.

+rep.

youngmanvr4
05-13-2007, 08:06 AM
Thanks man.

Everything has a positive side if you just look at it.
When I bought the truck I wasn't very familiar with it. I didn't know what went where or the best way to get it off and fix it.
Now, I know that engine bay like the back of my hand. There is nothing on that truck I have not unbolted and bolted back up again. So if something happens at a race I can pull into the pits, fix it fast, be out there for the next race.

The order of the races go like so with all 3 classes.
Practice laps -- 5-8 laps
Hot laps -- 5-8 laps
Speed and Trophy dashes -- 10 laps
B mains -- 15-20 laps
A main -- 15-20 laps

Lap numbers are decided in the drivers meeting before the race.

youngmanvr4
05-13-2007, 09:52 PM
Another little update if anyone is interested.

I pulled the engine back out today...for the third time in 3 days!
Tomorrow were taking the race engine down to have the shop work on it and build it back up.
We dont think they can get it done by friday night so tomorrow I am also going to tear down the smokey engine and put some new rings in. Hopefully that will take care of the smoke at least some what. Then once the shop finishes the race engine we'll take the "smokey" engine out and bore it .40 over, put new valves, lifters, springs, ect. and put a mild cam in it. That way if I blow the race engine again I have a back up I can put in 2 hours.