PDA

View Full Version : Gas???

kouness
05-10-2007, 02:55 PM
Which gas station do you guys prefer? I usually use chevron 91 octane, but with gas prices these days, its getting close to where i dont want to be spending that much at a chevron.. well the main reason why I brought this up is because I have a mobil1 gas station right around the corner from where I live.. they are very rare to find.. well at least where i live. Have anybody ever had experience with mobil1 gas before? If their gas product is as good as their oil then i dont mind at all to switch over. Plus its about 20 cents less than chevron gas for 91 octane.. Any input would help out great.... thanks- kouvang

yokotas13
05-10-2007, 03:03 PM
Esso or shell off base.

AAFES cas sucks the big one

C. Senor
05-10-2007, 03:13 PM
i use mobil i think the gas is pretty good. also because the mobil by me is the cheaper than chevron. i only use chevron and mobil. i've tried shell and 76 and valero. i put mobil in 2nd behind chevron.

revat619
05-10-2007, 03:17 PM
i dont know about other states, but all the gas in CA comes from 2 refineries, so the idea of ____ gas is better than ____ gas is really kinda stupid.

Just get whatevers cheap. If you're turbo, get the cheapest 91. Most of the time its arco.

ka24et
05-10-2007, 03:24 PM
i dont know about other states, but all the gas in CA comes from 2 refineries, so the idea of ____ gas is better than ____ gas is really kinda stupid.

Just get whatevers cheap. If you're turbo, get the cheapest 91. Most of the time its arco.

This statement is incorrect. There are more than 2 refineries in CA. http://www.energy.ca.gov/oil/refineries.html

Most brands have their own refining and processing and additives (e.g. detergents and stabilizers).

An independent brand or even ARCO does not have the same gas as a Chevron or Mobil or any other brand for that matter.

You get what you pay for.

azndoc
05-10-2007, 03:27 PM
I have a 240 with a SR and a 350z both which requires 91 octane.

Both kick my wallets ass

The thing is I use chevron (mostly), shell, or mobile for the 240.

The 350z I use Arco because it's my daily and it's cheap. **sigh** I know huh.

k's_silvia2.0
05-10-2007, 03:32 PM
Mobile for my motor.I use Mobile oil,and oil filter.

BustedS13
05-10-2007, 03:49 PM
Phillips 66. almost everywhere else around here is switching away from 93 octane to 92 octane... QT even switched to 91 octane :jerkit:

for filling up my daily, though, wherever's cheapest. 87 octane is all the same shit.

revat619
05-10-2007, 03:50 PM
This statement is incorrect. There are more than 2 refineries in CA. http://www.energy.ca.gov/oil/refineries.html

Most brands have their own refining and processing and additives (e.g. detergents and stabilizers).

An independent brand or even ARCO does not have the same gas as a Chevron or Mobil or any other brand for that matter.

touche! Apparently i heard wrong. :bow:

However, with all the price gouging its still pointless.

Example: buy your gas from an Arco in La Jolla ( a rich city of San Diego) and its more expensive than a Mobil or Chevron in kearny mesa which is middle class and only like 15 - 20 minutes away.

So "getting what you pay for" doesnt really hold up when there's no real base line to go from. I've driven ALL over San Diego and most of LA and i've seen this first hand. But buy whatever helps you sleep at night, but in the end it really makes no difference.

C. Senor
05-10-2007, 04:08 PM
^ when he says you get what you pay, the price you have to use is that of gas stations in the same area, not the next city over. if you compare prices it has to be like arco versus the more than likely chevron/mobil/shell/76 across the street...not arco from like malibu and arco from torrance....but if you really think about its not worth changin gas just because one is like 6 cents cheaper. after 100 gallons of gas consumption you only save 6 dollars....100 gallons for me is like 3 months...so 24 bucks a year for gas i dont like/trust. not worth it.

street240
05-10-2007, 04:24 PM
Shell or Mobil. But I have been told that all the fuel comes down the same line in our town. Trying to confirm these rumors...

revat619
05-10-2007, 04:29 PM
it also holds up in the same cities though. i live in spring valley and i know for a fact that the 2 mobils near my house do NOT have the same prices. neither do the valeros, the arcos, or the shells. Even that gas at the 7 Elevens, and there's like 4 of them near by, prices are all different.

Personally, i usually use arco just cuz they're everywhere and they're usually on the way to where i'm going. Although i have used mobil, chevron, 76, and valero before, but honestly in the entire 5 years i've owned my car, i cant tell the difference. When i need gas, i buy whats close. I maintain my car properly and i've never had problems using different brands. Its really not that serious guys....

wootwoot
05-10-2007, 05:46 PM
I use whatevers cheapest and never worry.

HalveBlue
05-10-2007, 06:42 PM
+ for riding my bicycle.

I haven't driven my car for probably 3-4 months now. The other day I saw the price of gas hovering above $3 a gallon for regular unleaded.

I don't miss my car so much anymore.*

*That's a lie. I love my car. Oooooooh, how I miss you. :(

Drift Motion
05-10-2007, 09:18 PM
usually either chevron, or shell

kouness
05-10-2007, 11:00 PM
thanks guys.. i know its not that big of a deal, but i was really just wondering about the Mobil gas.. that was mainly the main reason... i think theat mobil by my house is one of the very few in fresno. CA.. Also i dont know if its just me but i do feel a slight difference in power when i use 87 octane when compared to 91 octane.. is it just in my head or are there others out there that feel the difference also..

revat619
05-11-2007, 01:42 AM
Its not in your head. There's definitely a difference between 87 and 91. Even though i can count on one hand the number of times i've actually used 87 in my car, you can definitely tell the difference. Usually i use 91, but as of late its been 89. Gas is too damn expensive....

Farzam
05-11-2007, 03:19 AM
I use BP...closest gas station to me and pretty new...prices are always close to the cheapest around, always gives me good gas..

On occasion if i'm not driving my car i'll go to Eagle's...if someone knows if Eagle's is any good. It's super cheap and it's probably a car i'm putting 87 in so whatever.

Vision Garage
05-11-2007, 03:36 AM
Yea, usually shell or whateva is cheap. I can be BALLER and get PUMA gas. Pretty crazy stuff. Has the puma sign and all, just flipped.

Matej
05-11-2007, 02:57 PM
QuikTrip, it's really clean, and I signed up for their coupons, so I get free food and drinks all the time.

fliprayzin240sx
05-11-2007, 07:38 PM
I never run arco gas for the simple fact that my SR pinged from it. I was lucky enough that the car liked base gas when I had it. It did run a bit smoother on other gas but as long as i dont get knocks, i could fucking careless what it is. The cheapest that wont make my engine knock wins...

bamaboy
05-11-2007, 08:14 PM

you are wrong too. I've explained this before. Everyone gets there gas from the same place it just has different additives. Gas is gas is gas, it's the additives that make it branded. the octane level is what establishes the grade. Shell, Chevron, Mobil, blah blah blah all get their gas from the same termial that recieves it from the same pipeline. While it's being pumped on the truck the metering devices inject a specific recipe of additives that make it the brand it is sold as.

ALTRNTV
05-11-2007, 08:21 PM
^:werd:

I use Arco on my DD Civic, and either Shell, 76, or Chevron on my 240.

HalveBlue
05-11-2007, 08:25 PM
Its not in your head. There's definitely a difference between 87 and 91. Even though i can count on one hand the number of times i've actually used 87 in my car, you can definitely tell the difference. Usually i use 91, but as of late its been 89. Gas is too damn expensive....

Of course there's a difference. In fact, I remember quite vividly the topic being discussed right here on Zilvia in the tech forum.

Do search and you'll see why (if you have a turbo'd car) you should use 91 Octane instead of 87.

ALTRNTV
05-11-2007, 08:28 PM
Whenever I used 91 in my Civic, I noticed I got 30-50 more mpg than when I used a lower octane.

IIIXziuR
05-11-2007, 08:31 PM
Like everyone, I use the good stuff on the 240 and watered suckyness in the daily beater. What ever station has the cheapest, here in NJ its usually "Raceway" or Hess. I do prefer BP or Chevron though.

eastcoastS14
05-11-2007, 08:35 PM
i dont think we have some of these gas stations in MA i usually use shell or mobil

fromxtor
05-11-2007, 08:37 PM
why use gas when you can use water? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMovXzVOzc4

SimpleS14
05-11-2007, 09:47 PM
Never heard of Arco, PUMA or Quicktrip. 76 is down south, along with Raceway and I don't know Chevron is around here anymore

There is only one HESS over here and its a bit expensive...I been to NJ before...man...never again will I swing by a gas station over there, that full service crap is $$$ haha

I prefer Shell, ExxonMobil and Sunco. Wawa has the cheapest gas...but rumor is that its watered down.

I can't wait until someone figures out how to fully convert a 240SX to accept E100. So far in the UK, someone is working on getting a S14 (with SR) to run on E85.

revat619
05-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Of course there's a difference. In fact, I remember quite vividly the topic being discussed right here on Zilvia in the tech forum.

Do search and you'll see why (if you have a turbo'd car) you should use 91 Octane instead of 87.

WTF? Why did you quote me? I know you're not telling me to do a search are you?

I know there's a difference. Thats why i said there's a difference. I know turbo cars should run on 91. My car isnt turbo yet hence the reason i've used other grades.

:loco:

PERSONALLY, i think we all need to stop dicking around and figure out a way to run on chicken grease. We do that and Bill Gates himself will wanna see my episode of cribs cuz i'd be so baller. I'd have an endless supply and rule the fuel industry with that shit!

Gnnr
05-11-2007, 10:15 PM
http://www.toptiergas.com/

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

Chevron
Texaco
Shell
Conoco
Phillips
QuikTrip
Entec Stations
MFA Oil Company
Kwik Trip/Kwik Star
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Chevron-Canada
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Company
Shell-Canada
Petro-Canada
Sunoco-Canada

ka24et
05-12-2007, 04:08 PM
you are wrong too. I've explained this before. Everyone gets there gas from the same place it just has different additives. Gas is gas is gas, it's the additives that make it branded. the octane level is what establishes the grade. Shell, Chevron, Mobil, blah blah blah all get their gas from the same termial that recieves it from the same pipeline. While it's being pumped on the truck the metering devices inject a specific recipe of additives that make it the brand it is sold as.

That's odd. If what you are saying is true, what are the different refineries refining? I know there are other petroleum products other than gasoline being produced, but your description makes it sound as if all gasoline is processed at a central point prior to this "pipeline" and that all that's done is load them into trucks. Maybe all these refineries that produce gasoline send them to a central pipeline?

What you describe makes it seem as if there is central location where all trucks from Chevron, 76, Mobil, etc line up at the same place and get the same gas but with different additives at the time of delivery to the station.

I am a Chevron dealer here in California (I noticed from a post of yours that you work for Chevron in GA). My gas station is in Los Angeles near USC. I know my gasoline comes from a terminal in Montebello CA. Maybe Mobil, 76, Valero, etc get their gasoline there too? I'm not sure.

When I attended Chevron's dealer school in San Ramon, they told me that "gasoline" is a molecule. No brand or octane level is going to contain more energy than another. The octane levels help control burn rates (higher octane = slower burning). Regular gas has the same horsepower potential in it as premium gas. The difference is the potential for knock which reduces the tuning potential for regular gas in high compression, or boosted cars. Premium gasoline also has more Techron in it (at least at the time I attended school. I think they were thinking about changing the techron levels).

They did however mention that the Chevron gasolines have high purity levels or something like that (less foreign matter to gunk up your engine). This combined with the Techron detergent will help your engine run smoother and cleaner. This is part of the basis for many Chevron advertising campaigns "Top Three in Detroit choose Chevron" for passing emissions testing, blah blah blah. The speaker that day was a petroleum engineer that worked for Chevron. I'm sure the in depth discussion of gasoline chemistry, processing and brand differences will probably drive everyone to tears with boredom (i.e. http://aehsmag.com/issues/2001/december/petroleum.htm)

Maybe things are different in GA and CA? If I am wrong, I would love to understand what it is that I am missing. :)

s13gold
05-12-2007, 04:43 PM
i just put 91..and if i see 93 i fill up.
no matter what station. its all government regulated.

WERDdabuilder
05-12-2007, 07:45 PM
i was watching news and they were doing a segment on different gas stations and if all gas is the same gas(i.e chevron/valero)

the guy stated that all gas is the same so get whatever price is low. im sure they've all done studies to show that gas is all the same..

but me..i still stick to chev/shell. im a sucker for their techron and v-power.