PDA

View Full Version : looking into putting a SR20DET or KA-T into a RX7

aws140
05-04-2007, 09:44 PM
im an rx7 guy, first gens mostly. i have a project car that i had a built NA motor in. before i even used the engine at all i decided i wanted a nissan power plant, SR20DET. so i got rid of the engine in a trade for a MUCH cleaner chasis.

since then i have been researching on here and other web sites about SR and recently, KA-T.

some specs on my car:

79 SA RX7
silver with black interior
complete 2nd gen turbo2 rx7 brake conversion/5 lug conversion
Work Equips 16x7 and 16x8
Moser rear axles
tokico illuminas and eiback pro kit

the car currently has a modded 12a. just to hold me by until i get finished researching the SR20DET and KA-T and decide which one i want and get my hands on one.

some questions i have and things i need verified are:

will any SR or KA bolt to any 240 subframe? i have to do a 240 subframe swap to do this swap so i need to know what all engines are compatable with what subframes.

are the transmission mounts different between SR and KA? between S13, S14, S15?

im looking to initially go for around 300 reliable HP. i want to build the engine though so that after i do a 8.8 rearend swap i can up to the power to around 400-500.

i thought about just doing a NA KA swap for now and then after i got all that done itd make the SR swap a direct bolt and go. if i decided on a KA-T i could just boost the engine i had.

what is everyones thoughts on this?

all HELPFUL input is greatly appreciated.

also, i have read the tech section for some time. i have searched and i have read all the FAQ.

ill post pics of my car tomorrow.

koukimonster139
05-04-2007, 09:57 PM
yes. all KA and SR motor mounts and positions are the same as well as trans mounts

use tech next time

aws140
05-04-2007, 10:11 PM
yes. all KA and SR motor mounts and positions are the same as well as trans mounts

use tech next time

thanks. i thought about posting in the tech section, but this is a 240 site, not an rx7 site. so i figured it would be more suited in this area.

koukimonster139
05-04-2007, 10:13 PM
thanks. i thought about posting in the tech section, but this is a 240 site, not an rx7 site. so i figured it would be more suited in this area.

meh, couldve gone in both :love:

wootwoot
05-04-2007, 10:26 PM
do an ls1 instead. Either that or ditch your 12a garbage and get a proper 13b turbo. No other option fully makes sense to me.

aws140
05-04-2007, 10:38 PM
do an ls1 instead. Either that or ditch your 12a garbage and get a proper 13b turbo. No other option fully makes sense to me.

a 12a isnt garbage, but to each his own.

a LS1 swap into a first gen is A LOT more expensive and demanding than a SR or KA. if it was an FD itd be getting a LSX, but its an SA.

wootwoot
05-04-2007, 11:12 PM
I know and I see no reason why that makes it anymore complicated at all. The engine bays are both near the same size. Excuse me for calling the 12a garbage, more so obsolete? They are minimum 25 years old now

street240
05-04-2007, 11:36 PM
Contact driftking777, hes already succesfully done it...

Kn1ves
05-05-2007, 07:43 AM
hmm im interested in this, I have a SA @ friends house right about to go to a junkyard..

aws140
05-05-2007, 10:27 AM
I know and I see no reason why that makes it anymore complicated at all. The engine bays are both near the same size. Excuse me for calling the 12a garbage, more so obsolete? They are minimum 25 years old now

i understand what youre saying. LSXs are AWSOME engines in my book. the bad thing is theyre so expensive to obtain. im about to start college so im working on a budget here. depending on when i decide to do the swap will decide which route i go. soon will be a KA and later will be a KA if i decide i want KAT or SR.

the 12a isnt really obsolete. there are still lots of guys running them. a lot of guys boost them with amazing results. theres a guy in CA with a 12a producing around 720rwhp. i thought about boosting the one i have now until i decide what to do about the nissan swap.

street240--i have already contacted driftking777 on the rx7 forum. thanks for teh advice though.

kn1ves--dont scrap the SA. this swap is REALLY easy to do and insanely cheap. plus, the SA with a KAT or SR20DET would be insanely fun.

ThatGuy
05-05-2007, 10:37 AM
Best idea for a budget....

Get a reliable car to get you to and from class. Once you have a degree and get a decent job, then you can have project cars. Focus on school.

aws140
05-05-2007, 10:55 AM

Get a reliable car to get you to and from class. Once you have a degree and get a decent job, then you can have project cars. Focus on school.

i totally agree. thats why im working with a budget. trust me, ive put forth a lot of thinking into this. the car i want to do the swap in isnt my DD anyways. so i have no problem with the project taking some time due to funds. school is by far my first concern.

ThatGuy
05-05-2007, 11:05 AM
Awesome. Good luck to you with your project.

wootwoot
05-05-2007, 03:32 PM
If you are in anyway close to school, buy a scooter.....10-15 miles on a scooter isnt bad....Unless its country backroads in Georgia, rednecks arent fun.

ls1's arent that expensive...I have seen them going for 3kish which is the same price you will be paying for an sr. KA obviously completely different there.

fromxtor
05-05-2007, 05:04 PM
http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23524&highlight=kat+rx7
http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15923&highlight=

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d190/driftking777/NewEngine201.jpg

ThatGuy
05-05-2007, 05:10 PM
I'm thinking a Radiator Cap, a Fan, and possibly some spark plug wires might improve the performance of that set-up.

:keke:

'90RPS13
05-05-2007, 05:25 PM
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d190/driftking777/RXengine1.jpg

wootwoot
05-05-2007, 08:50 PM
I'm thinking a Radiator Cap, a Fan, and possibly some spark plug wires might improve the performance of that set-up.

:keke:

I cant think of anything more rice.......

Infamax
05-06-2007, 01:43 AM
If you're on a budget, a KA-T set up would be the way to go. The SR motor alone will set you back about 2k, with all the supporting mods to bump it up to ~300WHP you could be over $5k.
Since you're on a budget, if you buy a KA, you could just run NA till you get more funds. A DOHC KA can be obtained for 300-700, or even less if you're lucky. The engine price differences alone is obvious enough to see which route is the best, when on a budget. KA-Ts are just as reliable as an upgraded SR, if tuned properly. With some 550cc injectors, a nice t3/t4 turbo, FMIC, z32 MAF, and a stand alone, you should be able to accomplish +300HP.

aws140
05-06-2007, 12:08 PM
wootwoot-- im one step ahead of you. i purchased a scooter about 2-3 months ago. i love that damn thing. its a kymco people 150. i did a lot of research before buying one. thats the best you can get for price and reliability IMO. i fill her up for less than $4 and it lasts me a week back and forth from work. once i move to school my apartment is about 1 mile from school so a tank will last me a long time.

as of now im not really putting the project on hold, but im not really looking to move it along quickly. ill just keep loking for a cheap full KA swap, or i may end up waiting until i just buy a SR and start building the motor slowly until i get ready to throw it in. like i said, im in no rush.

Edgar
05-06-2007, 12:25 PM

this couldn't been said any better