PDA

View Full Version : Tanker destroys freeway....

SimpleS14
04-29-2007, 05:47 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/04/29/BAGVOPHQU46.DTL

Freakin crazy...at least nobody died. Traffic is going to be hell for people over there.

OptionZero
04-29-2007, 06:07 PM
Source at Caltrans says it'll be about 6 months.

SF Chronicle reported a demolition crew was already out there clearing out rubble.

Fortunately, there's already BART, MUNI, and FERRY in place to pick up some of the traffic. They'll run extra service.

If you ARE going on the bridge, it's going to be a breezy commute with one less route to merge onto it.

Wei240
04-29-2007, 06:25 PM
dayum, melted the bridge, sucks for you commuters...

projekt_s13
04-29-2007, 06:40 PM
Damn i was gonna post this in the morning, you beat me to it.

Glad i dont drive anywhere near there.

SimpleS14
04-29-2007, 07:00 PM
Fortunately, there's already BART, MUNI, and FERRY in place to pick up some of the traffic. They'll run extra service.

What are those? (don't have them in my area...i think)

FaLKoN240
04-29-2007, 07:17 PM
BART is a train, MUNI is a bus, and a ferry is. . . a ferry boat.

Farzam
04-29-2007, 10:44 PM
I wish they got it on tape.

BoNyG515
04-29-2007, 10:55 PM
I wish they got it on tape.

they kept playing a video in the local news when the bridge collapsed I dunno if your news shows it...like what optionzero at least theres alternate commuting transports cuz my gf goes to berkeley and she'll always have a screwed up commute

EvilRB
04-29-2007, 11:25 PM
BART is a train, MUNI is a bus, and a ferry is. . . a ferry boat.

Well it is San Fran so Ferry could have more meanings.

lOl J/k

That sucks for you guys atleast noone was killed or anything.

wootwoot
04-29-2007, 11:29 PM
San Francisco public transportation sucks f'n ass though. I know there is a lot of it but that is some of the problem since none of them work together. Aie!! Sucks to be a commuter thats for sure. Luckily if I end up living there this summer everywhere I will be going will be south

CNDC
04-29-2007, 11:34 PM
Damn, I remembering reading about it. I thought it was a joke till i saw it on Yahoo. LOL

Ian
04-30-2007, 09:27 AM
We have METRO system in the DC area...It encompasses shuttles, busses and trains. We don't have ferrys because...well it's just a tiny river between va and DC haha it wouldn't make sense

Eternal_240Sx
05-01-2007, 12:01 AM
i found a vid of it after the collapse

http://www.consumptionjunction.com/downloadsnew/cj_68826.wmv

RedlineRacer
05-01-2007, 11:14 AM
Another bullshit reason to make the oil companies raise gas prices...

OptionZero
05-01-2007, 12:03 PM
San Francisco public transportation sucks f'n ass though. I know there is a lot of it but that is some of the problem since none of them work together. Aie!! Sucks to be a commuter thats for sure. Luckily if I end up living there this summer everywhere I will be going will be south

I don't like our public transport systems either, but I'm told that other places are far worse. So at least we have quantity, if not enough quality.

In Hong Kong, a single electronic pass card thing lets you pay for any type of transport: local bus line, trains, underground subway, etc. That's the sort of unity that would help alot.

Unfortunately, I think BART (high speed rail) is a state or county funded agency, while MUNI (city buses) is city funded, and i don't know who handles the boats.
It's just the nature of bureaucracy I suppose.

In fairness, when this happened, all the agencies immediately announced increased service (more frequent buses, longer trains, more ferry transports)

FaLKoN240
05-01-2007, 12:19 PM
Free BART too.

I hope this problem leads to more conscious decisions by all commuters.

ronmcdon
05-01-2007, 04:14 PM
I don't like our public transport systems either, but I'm told that other places are far worse. So at least we have quantity, if not enough quality.

In Hong Kong, a single electronic pass card thing lets you pay for any type of transport: local bus line, trains, underground subway, etc. That's the sort of unity that would help alot.

Unfortunately, I think BART (high speed rail) is a state or county funded agency, while MUNI (city buses) is city funded, and i don't know who handles the boats.
It's just the nature of bureaucracy I suppose.

In fairness, when this happened, all the agencies immediately announced increased service (more frequent buses, longer trains, more ferry transports)

hong kong is totally awesome. the mtr (metro) is super-fast and there are trains like every 5-10 mins. cost of transit is also reasonable. even the taxis are cheap. there's very little reason to own a car there, I don't think SF could ever hope to reach that lvl of efficiency.

that aside, i much prefer transport in los angeles over SF anyday. we have no public transport here, and have choice but to drive but at least we have freeways (and we have parking in most areas). In SF, you don't have have that. transport is always a pita there whichever route you use. even bicyclists have it rough. I see them get hit by cars a lot. The bay area (bar berkely and oakland) is nice though, less traffic than la and sf.

OptionZero
05-01-2007, 05:01 PM
and the trains on hong kong have automated announcements in both english and cantonese. thats pimp

ronmcdon
05-01-2007, 11:45 PM
true, hk is prob the most english friendly city in asia. japan is more modern, but you're pretty much screwed if you dont speak the language.

Jon Michael
05-01-2007, 11:53 PM
For a moment, I read the title and thought another tank had gone on a rampage...

But, this is cool too. Not for the cummuters or anything...but, I wish I could have seen it from a safe distance.

95zilvia
05-02-2007, 01:05 AM
this is why we need a track
stupid trucks tryin to drift onramps n stuff.
KEEP IT ON THE TRACK!

fliprayzin240sx
05-02-2007, 01:14 AM
SUCKS TO BE YOU GUYS!!!

Wait which interchange is the one that got damaged? Is it the I-80 west to 880 south, basically where the 680/880 thing split?

95zilvia
05-02-2007, 01:28 AM
i-80 to 580 .

blackflag_Rms13
05-02-2007, 02:34 AM
A friend of mine was sitting in traffic in plain view while this happened. She said it was one of the craziest things she's seen.

Sucks for you guys that live/drive over there. My commute is going the opposite way of traffic in one of the lesser congested areas in the Bay. Haha.

santacruisin
05-02-2007, 11:51 AM
There's a few utube vids of the burning freeway. How savage was the driver to walk over a mile to get help? "Hello I just exploded, can I get some medical attention?"

LOL at the out of towners that don't know jack about SF commuting! MUNI runs consistently both above and below ground and you can use your MUNI fast pass on bart throughout SF. You can be at Balboa station (last SF station on south side of town) and get to Civic Center (middle of downtown) in ten freakin minutes! beat that! Tourists catch a feeling b/c the cable car has a 3 hour line and costs a grip. There are at least 5 buses that run throughout the entire city with many, many more connecting all over the place. Everyone where I have lived in SF there has been a bus within 50 yards of my house. There's a bus that goes to the top of Mt. Davidson for chrissakes!!! they are freakin everywhere.

s13gold
05-02-2007, 02:10 PM
i seen that on my local news for 3 hours straight.

markyboi
05-02-2007, 02:49 PM
Free BART too.

I hope this problem leads to more conscious decisions by all commuters.

wait, what?! FREE BART? are you serious? if you are then ill be going to sf a lot then..hehe

ronmcdon
05-02-2007, 05:32 PM
Everyone where I have lived in SF there has been a bus within 50 yards of my house. There's a bus that goes to the top of Mt. Davidson for chrissakes!!! they are freakin everywhere.

thats true (i used to live on 4th @ Geary), but it still sucks to take the bus in SF regardless. The geary line was prob the only one that was reliable. With all the other lines, between the all the numerous stops and time it took to wait for the next bus, it took just about forever to get anywhere.

SF is kinda nice to visit every now and then, but i sure as hell don't miss living there. arguably the most depressing place I've ever lived, and that includes Concord and Van Nuys (san fernando valley) in SoCal. I'd rather just drive around in LA.

PhilthyS13
05-02-2007, 05:54 PM
SF public transportation isn't THAT bad. After all, the city is only 7 miles by 7 miles. And there are buses that run everywhere 24/7. When I was a kid, I took the bus everywhere. As long as I had my fast pass, I had a ride even on the owl buses at 4am. Of course, this was in the mid 90's when it only costed 35 cents. Now it's a buck fifty. Riding the bus is kinda fun because you get to see all sorts of crazy stuff like a pregnant 16 year old fighting a 70 year old over the handicapped seat on an empty bus. It was nice having the N go straight to Pac Bell from the avenues, but they just got rid of that which sucks. While muni is nowhere near the NYC subway, it is vastly better than many other places.

Bart (Bay Area Rapid Transit) is run by all the counties it serves. There is a board of elected officials who run it. I haven't personally taken it to airport yet, but I've been told it's great. I have taken it to Warriors games and when the Giants play Oakland and it's awesome. Definitely beats sitting in traffic burning $4/gallon gas at 2mph.

Sadly, the only free transit day was Monday. You gotta pay again.

And the ferries aren't bad either, as long as you live near one. And as long as you work downtown. Otherwise, it's a long ride.

!Zar!
05-03-2007, 01:21 AM
SF transportation rules. No need for a schedule. Just wait a few minutes and you have a ride. Transfers rule!

Bart/Muni trains are cool. Just avoid the hobo urine. hahaha.

San Mateo bridge hasn't gotten much worse.

Reports say that it looks to be a brake failure on the semi. And that it had issues were had before with brakes.

I've no problems with SF. Once you learn it you'll love it.

And to end this on a happy note.

Norcal transit > Socal transit.

khmerguy618
05-03-2007, 01:43 AM
working and living in the south bay FTW. No bridges out here.

It's a damn shame though. More money they're gonna try to fricken tax us.

!Zar!
05-03-2007, 02:05 AM
Hmm. I take the San Mateo bridge so it hasen't really affected me.

Little do you all know, that this is a government attempt to keep people from going to oakland. hahaha.

pbcstylez
05-03-2007, 11:02 AM
I do agree with you Zar! stay away from Oakland, oh wait f' me! i live here... SOBs get off the road already... i need to go to work every morning thru this shit

OptionZero
05-03-2007, 12:48 PM
i'm gonna be working in oakland and san leandro this summer

it will blow

thejapino
05-03-2007, 03:45 PM
I drive a bus transbay from Hercules to SF. No more traffic than usual during this commute. It actually seemed like less traffic. Ive read in the Times that the 80-880 junction isn't as damaged as they thought. They're claiming it should open within 10 days.

that 580-80 overpass though? MONTHS & $$$

OptionZero
05-03-2007, 04:39 PM
Dad works for caltrans; apparently the higherups want a repair plan by the end of the week; unknown timetable before that

ronmcdon
05-03-2007, 05:22 PM
Norcal transit > Socal transit.

what socal transit?

fliprayzin240sx
05-04-2007, 09:50 AM
i-80 to 580 .

So the 880 south bound is still open tho right?