PDA

View Full Version : painting a bicycle, what won't scratch easily?

BustedS13
04-26-2007, 04:22 PM
so i just dug my old Specialized out of the garage. i haven't ridden it in years (i have a cheap y-frame i've been riding for a long while), and now i've become interested in trying out a single speed (yeah yeah, i know i'm not a messenger, get over it), so i'm converting it. the frame has a bunch of nicks and scrapes, could use a fresh coat of paint (satin black). but what won't chip up easily? i'm going to beat the shit out of this bike. i'm thinking just regular rustoleum, or rustoleum engine enamel. any suggestions?

http://i12.tinypic.com/2v9tcfd.jpg

ThatGuy
04-26-2007, 04:29 PM
Strip everything off the frame and have it powdercoated.

BustedS13
04-26-2007, 04:34 PM
Strip everything off the frame and have it powdercoated.

i would, but this is a budget build- i'm spending like 50 bucks total on parts to convert/restore it.

ThatGuy
04-26-2007, 04:37 PM
In that case, enamel is good and strong. People use appliance enamel paint to repaint their interiors with very few complaints. It's just up to you to try to find Flat Black.

chibo
04-26-2007, 04:50 PM
I painted my DH bike with engine enamel, scratched up pretty damn quick (within a day or two of riding). You can do it, but it won't last.

ThatGuy
04-26-2007, 04:52 PM
^I stand corrected. :bow:

Powder coating or annodizing would probably last the longest, but not within your budget. Just get some good rattlecans. Properly prep the frame, and paint it up.

chibo
04-26-2007, 05:11 PM
^I stand corrected. :bow:

Powder coating or annodizing would probably last the longest, but not within your budget. Just get some good rattlecans. Properly prep the frame, and paint it up.

Yeah, takes probably two rattle cans to do a frame/fork lowers and I've had a frame/lowers powder coated for $40. Guess you're right and it's out of his budget though.

tacotacotaco
04-26-2007, 05:11 PM
Rattle can it with barbecue paint drys quick and touch it up every day.

ThatGuy
04-26-2007, 05:16 PM
Yeah, takes probably two rattle cans to do a frame/fork lowers and I've had a frame/lowers powder coated for $40. Guess you're right and it's out of his budget though.

Yeah he's only $50 for parts and everything.

s13rookie
04-26-2007, 05:35 PM
what about the rattle can undercoating? rhino lining in a can basically. it would probably last forever, be pretty unique as well

240trainee
04-26-2007, 05:39 PM
I actually just did this to a road bike I got for free, stipped the entire frame, primered, and then the heavy duty semi-gloss rustoleum. I already have chips in it.

whatever, if I care later, I'll strip it again and have it powdercoted

so face it, it's gonna chip, lol. Just try to be careful.

'90RPS13
04-26-2007, 05:50 PM
Powder Coat. I use to BMX, from experience, Powder coat it like Barry said.

Jon Michael
04-26-2007, 07:28 PM
...Rhino line it?

wootwoot
04-26-2007, 08:02 PM
I still do ride BMX and I paint every new frame I get instantly. I dont like having stock colors... I use whatever higher quality spray paint I get my hands on, sand the stock paint, and throw it on. I then clear coat it. Both times letting it dry for a long time between coats but definitely a shit load of coats. Been doing it like that for 4 or 5 frames now

blackflag_Rms13
04-26-2007, 08:19 PM
I used to do hella Dual Slalom/Freeride shit. Powdercoat it, I always did with mine. Usually lasts the best and its pretty cheap. Anodizing is good too, but i always remember scratching the shit out of the anodized frames my friends and I had. Single speeds are pretty fun, I used to swap to singlespeed for urban stuffs...

240trainee
04-26-2007, 08:55 PM
Yea, my new bike is an old ass French road bike, gonna be converted to single speed with a freewheel (I'm not brave enough for fixed gear) and one front brake. I ground off all the tabs off the frame and shit, should look pretty ba when I'm done.

Irukandji
04-26-2007, 10:26 PM
I wrapped my bike in Camo duck tape from Wallmart that was $4. Looks pretty cool... I'll get a picture when I'm not feeling lazy

BustedS13
04-26-2007, 10:57 PM
Yea, my new bike is an old ass French road bike, gonna be converted to single speed with a freewheel (I'm not brave enough for fixed gear) and one front brake. I ground off all the tabs off the frame and shit, should look pretty ba when I'm done.

yeah, i've got the quick release wheel mounts or whatever they're called on this bike, so i can't do a fixed gear. i was planning on a fixed gear with no brakes until i actually looked into it.. but since it's gotta have brakes, i'm gonna do front and rear. i'd be afraid of flying over the handlebars all the time with just a front brake >.<

and if i could get the frame and fork powdercoated for 40 bucks, i'd get it done.

wootwoot
04-26-2007, 11:32 PM
Powdercoating isnt even worth it...It'll still get scratched, bet ya a dollar. Beside, you arent going offroading with this bitch. It shouldnt get scratched anyway.

BustedS13
04-27-2007, 12:16 AM
yeah, fuck it, it's just getting a few coats of rustoleum. all my parts should be here by tuesday or wednesday, i just want to slap it together and ride.

S14DB
04-27-2007, 01:35 AM
I would strip frames with MEK and then Powder Coat them. Only thing that lasts.

theicecreamdan
04-27-2007, 01:40 AM
its a bike, who cares if it gets scratched. Isn't that part of the point?

chibo
04-27-2007, 02:34 AM
its a bike, who cares if it gets scratched. Isn't that part of the point?

Not when it looks like a complete piece of shit :rofl:

wootwoot
04-27-2007, 10:03 AM
Not when it looks like a complete piece of shit :rofl:

its going to get scratched though. The only way it wont, doesnt matter the finish, is if you lay it down nicely everywhere, otherwise that bitch is getting scratched. A BMX bike will get scratched no matter what you do, a road bike, should not get scratched if you treat it like a road bike in anyway shape or form.\

240trainee
04-27-2007, 10:07 AM
its going to get scratched though. The only way it wont, doesnt matter the finish, is if you lay it down nicely everywhere, otherwise that bitch is getting scratched. A BMX bike will get scratched no matter what you do, a road bike, should not get scratched if you treat it like a road bike in anyway shape or form.\

+1

bmx bikes looks rad beat up

road bikes should look nice.

mine will look like shit shortly, lol, damn paint is chipping like mad:rant2: I'll powdercoat next time.

theicecreamdan
04-27-2007, 12:42 PM
paint it with that self-healing paint from nissan

or cover it with fetal skin cells, and soak it in nutrient rich solution every night.

Gaelen
04-27-2007, 01:49 PM
I was at a buddies place yesterday and he had some ruberized black spray paint...looked pretty cool and felt fairly durable. Something like that might work

BustedS13
04-27-2007, 03:41 PM
or cover it with fetal skin cells, and soak it in nutrient rich solution every night.

i would, but i don't want it growing a shakey's pizza in my garage overnight or anything of that nature.