PDA

View Full Version : What do you wash and wax your car with

sleepy_s13
04-18-2007, 11:34 PM
I posted this thread Because I was Just curious to know what everyone uses to wash and wax their cars. I have been using Meguires car wash. the last wax I used was Turtle wax. Both of these products are really good. Im also curious to know if anyone has used "Mothers" Clay Bar. I was thinking about trying it, but not so sure if its gonna be worth $15 bucks.

swift_style
04-18-2007, 11:45 PM
Turtle Wax's the way to go.

s13gold
04-18-2007, 11:49 PM
Mr Clean auto wash...."the absorber to dry"

and the once a month MOTHERS waxing...

i lied, maybe once every 2 monthss haaha.

s13speeddrft
04-19-2007, 12:07 AM
i use the meguiars wax and wash products. I have not used the clay bar on my car personally but i have used it on a friends car and i could tell a minimal difference but not worth the 15 bucks IMO.

opticfilms
04-19-2007, 12:31 AM
meguiars wax me too

rainier
04-19-2007, 12:36 AM
i believe if you havent waxed your car in a long time, you should use the clay bar since it gets rid of most of the grim built up that you cant see. then after the clay, use the wax of your choice, meguiars, turtle wax, i prefer using zymol(spl),

after the clay you can feel your paint fresh and smooth again, and then with the wax it makes it feel so much better than adding wax and wax and wax on top of the paint

sleepy_s13
04-19-2007, 01:21 AM
^ thats good to know Ill have to try the clay and then wax method

C. Senor
04-19-2007, 01:26 AM
i'm glad i read that, i use eagle one to wash....lol i also use "the absorber" to dry. i'm going to have to try that bar now and wax my car (for the first time).

Bryants95240sx
04-19-2007, 01:30 AM
Yeah deff. use the clay bar if you havent waxed in a good while, but remember when you use the clay bar it takes off everything including wax.

Jung918
04-19-2007, 01:35 AM
After you wash your car, does it feel gritty? If so, you should claybar your car. What I do is cut it into 4 parts. Use one part for the entire car. But it will depend on how bad your car is. If it is really bad, then use more. Just remember, once you drop it then you need to use a new one.
For wax I use meguires NXT or whatever it is called. Some of the products I use are poorboys, moose, pinnacle, klasse, sonus, 4 star, and others.
check out www.autopia.org

Irukandji
04-19-2007, 01:48 AM
Cheap shit... It's blue and has caranuba wax in it... $3 a bottle at target.

For wheels.. soap and water.

eastcoastS14
04-19-2007, 01:52 AM
all meguiars heard that turtle wax ice shit is pretty good too

ALTRNTV
04-19-2007, 02:03 AM
I used to detail cars for a high end company two years ago. They used pure carnauba wax you can buy at detailing stores. Also, a clay bar is your paint's bestfriend. I suggest buying one, it's well worth it.

adrians_s13
04-19-2007, 02:14 AM
Meguiars is the shit! Doesn't the owner of that company have his own show on Speed too? Anyways, my uncle uses that stuff on his car, and man, it really makes his cars stand out...

my car looks the same whether or not I wash my car, lol... oxidation FTL

BigBump
04-19-2007, 07:21 AM
If you run your fingers across your paint and feel any roughness, a clay bar's well worth the 15 bucks. Be sure to use some quick detailer (I use Meguiars) to keep the surface slick for your clay bar. If you're really hardcore, you can get some paint cleaner/stripper, like Zymol HD cleanse.

Then you HAVE to go get some 3M Imperial hand glaze and do your entire car. This stuff is like paint sex. Go read about it if you have any doubts.

Then you can wax using your favorite (I prefer Meguiars again)

Also, chrome polish is an excellent wheel cleaner/soot remover. Try it out.

exitspeed
04-19-2007, 07:28 AM
When I had a car that was waxable I used Race Glaze. Kind of a gay name, but it's serious shit. Goes on easy and comes off easy and leaves the finish baby booty smooth.

If you use that from the beginning and wax your car with that very often you'll almost never need to use the clay bar.

But I highly recommend the clay bar also. Mother's I think is who makes it.

CA18_S13
04-19-2007, 07:51 AM
Mequiars Gold Class Soap. I use to use Eagle one Wheel and Tire Cleaner then i started buying the advanced Knock off Brand cause it works the same.
Wax i use either Black Magic Wet Shine or Turtle Wax.

fromxtor
04-19-2007, 08:45 AM
Meguiars or Mothers products only.

JaeTea
04-19-2007, 09:03 AM
Zaino.

Best stuff ever.

ManoNegra
04-19-2007, 09:22 AM
Mothers everything. Need to clay car one of these days.

azndummie
04-19-2007, 09:24 AM
turtle wax wash, meguiar's gold class, mothers claybar

articdragon192
04-19-2007, 09:46 AM
Mothers soap
Mothers clay bar
Mothers Carnuba Wax
Mothers Synthetic Wax

Claybar is very worth it. It leaves the paint smooth for months. I clay barred my Z32 about 3 months ago. All I do is quick detail it and it's back to glass smoothness.

wingsnthangs
04-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Clay Magic clar bar. I believe only some Autozones carry it, last time I checked it was 10.99+tax. Works great, ive been using it for several years. Meguiars for everything else.

sleepy_s13
04-20-2007, 12:45 AM
thanks for the advice guys. I definetly want to try that clay bar

SochBAT
04-20-2007, 01:44 AM
If i had a nice washable car, it'd be Mothers/Meguiars.

Claybar FTMFW. RETARDEDLY awesome clean.

Farzam
04-20-2007, 02:21 AM
Sealant pwnz.

I usually use shit they use on aeroplanes cause it's got virtually no resistance...and it makes my doodoo sparkle.

speedstar01
04-20-2007, 07:18 AM
clay is a lot of work but most definately worth the results . especially good for removing that gunk that collects near the lower part of you cars body, then remember to wax after the clay.

i love the turtle wax, Nu Finish, or the 2001 stuff <<all easy to rub off

mothers restoring was is decent too for bringing back some color to our old rides, post some pics when ur finished :)

speedstar01
04-20-2007, 07:21 AM
oh and sometimes i like to polish my car with my body....when no body is looking ;)

axiomatik
04-20-2007, 02:31 PM
I use the meguiar's three-step wax. And clay bars are definitely worth it. If your paint still feels nice and smooth, it won't make much difference, but otherwise, it's well worth the effort. Last year I clay bar'd my Expedition. The hood felt rough, like a matte finish, and waxing it didn't help. Then I used the clay bar, and it was amazing, it was like having brand new paint it was so smooth.

Phlip
04-20-2007, 07:42 PM
When I had a car worth washing AND waxing, I swore by Meguiar's products.
My paint was too clean and well maintained to necessitate a clay bar, but I used the car wash, then paint cleaner, scratch-x, 2 coats of polish and 2 of wax...
My family would buy me the whole set for gift-giving holidays and my birthday. When my coupe is painted, I will resume the use of Meguiar's shit, simply put.
"Deep Crystal System" on the paint cleaner
Gold Class on the wash and wax
ShowCar Glaze #7 on the polish

... loyal consumership, I go with what works for me