PDA

View Full Version : I Guess the War is Over

RJF
04-04-2007, 09:51 AM
:wtf:

No more GWOT, House committee decrees

By Rick Maze - Staff writer
Posted : Tuesday Apr 3, 2007 20:12:47 EDT

The House Armed Services Committee is banishing the global war on terror from the 2008 defense budget.

This is not because the war has been won, lost or even called off, but because the committee’s Democratic leadership doesn’t like the phrase.

A memo for the committee staff, circulated March 27, says the 2008 bill and its accompanying explanatory report that will set defense policy should be specific about military operations and “avoid using colloquialisms.”

The “global war on terror,” a phrase first used by President Bush shortly after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the U.S., should not be used, according to the memo. Also banned is the phrase the “long war,” which military officials began using last year as a way of acknowledging that military operations against terrorist states and organizations would not be wrapped up in a few years.

Committee staff members are told in the memo to use specific references to specific operations instead of the Bush administration’s catch phrases. The memo, written by Staff Director Erin Conaton, provides examples of acceptable phrases, such as “the war in Iraq,” the “war in Afghanistan, “operations in the Horn of Africa” or “ongoing military operations throughout the world.”

“There was no political intent in doing this,” said a Democratic aide who asked not to be identified. “We were just trying to avoid catch phrases.”

Josh Holly, a spokesman for Rep. Duncan Hunter of California, the committee’s former chairman and now its senior Republican, said Republicans “were not consulted” about the change.

Committee aides, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said dropping or reducing references to the global war on terror could have many purposes, including an effort to be more precise about military operations, but also has a political element involving a disagreement over whether the war in Iraq is part of the effort to combat terrorism or is actually a distraction from fighting terrorists.

House Democratic leaders who have been pushing for an Iraq withdrawal timetable have talked about the need to get combat troops out of Iraq so they can be deployed against terrorists in other parts of the world, while Republicans have said that Iraq is part of the front line in the war on terror. Rep. Ike Skelton, D-Mo., the armed services committee chairman, has been among those who have complained that having the military tied up with Iraq operations has reduced its capacity to respond to more pressing problems, like tracking down al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden.

“This is a philosophical and political question,” said a Republican aide. “Republicans generally believe that by fighting the war on terror in Iraq, we are preventing terrorists from spreading elsewhere and are keeping them engaged so they are not attacking us at home.”

However, U.S. intelligence officials have been telling Congress that most of the violence in Iraq is the result of sectarian strife and not directly linked to terrorists, although some foreign insurgents with ties to terrorist groups have been helping to fuel the fighting.

“You have to wonder if this means that we have to rename the GWOT,” said a Republican aide, referring to the Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal and the Global War on Terrorism Service Medals established in 2003 for service members involved, directly and indirectly, in military operations in Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere in the world.

“If you are a reader of the Harry Potter books, you might describe this as the war that must not be named,” said another Republican aide. That is a reference to the fact that the villain in the Harry Potter series, Lord Voldemort, is often referred to as “he who must not be named” because of fears of his dark wizardry.

http://www.militarytimes.com/news/2007/04/military_gwot_democrats_070403w/

mRclARK1
04-04-2007, 09:55 AM
I hate political correctness.

There are terrorists in the world who are intent on commiting acts of terror, the entire free world is at war with them, therefore it's a 'war on terror' ... I fail to see why this phrase is a problem.

HaLo
04-04-2007, 10:07 AM
I would only change one letter. The "n" in "on" should be replaced by "f". :rofl:

Jung918
04-04-2007, 10:26 AM
if they would spend as much time on stopping the war instead of being politically correct, then maybe the war would be over

!Zar!
04-04-2007, 10:30 AM
There never was a war. Therefor there is nothing to be over.

jrmiller84
04-04-2007, 11:04 AM
I would only change one letter. The "n" in "on" should be replaced by "f". :rofl:

"I support your war of terror!" -Borat

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mo/borat_trailer250c.jpg

On topic.

I too hate political correctness. I just wish they would stop saying it as much as they do, almost seems like they are attempting to brainwash us at times. The term is accurate, just chill out on it's usage.

Cash
04-04-2007, 11:56 AM

How about leave off the "n" and the "f" and just call it the "war o' terror"? I think that has a nice ring to it.

Replicant_S14
04-04-2007, 11:57 AM
" ...almost seems like they are attempting to brainwash us at times.

Almost?

The term "war on X" (war on terror, war on poverty, war on drugs etc.) gets used in order to imply that an open checkbook and more government power is what's needed to save us from whatever doom is at hand. To that extent I don't really have a problem with them changing the wording. I mean, that isn't why they did it, but whatever. It's all platitudes anyway.

azndoc
04-04-2007, 01:17 PM
I don't believe that the "war of terrorism" will ever be over. It has been around the world before 9/11. It just never hit home like it did with what the twin towers did. America just chose to turn a blind eye to majority of it because it never concerned us.

The war against the Taliban I understand, the war in Iraq. I fail to understand now. It's a never ending battle with those who we went in the first place to save. There is no findings that Iraq had any terrorist intentions towards us prior to us going in. Hell we could've killed Huessin with a bomb, but instead we have invested so much into the war in Iraq that our own country's economics is suffering without end. The politicians say that there's terrorist cells in Iraq. There are, but their coming in from other countries because it's the closest they can come to facing and killing Americans.

They may change the wording to a nicer way of describing what their doing but everyone knows what is going on and really just getting sick of it. Why are we still spending so much money on this war in Iraq that we don't even have the money to spend on our own homeland security. Americans are dying everyday in Iraq and Afgan. Let the military do their thing without the interference of politicians. I don't see them over there fighting the cause that they say is right. As someone who was in the military and have had friends that have fought and died over this cause it's really sad to me that we're fighting due to what a particular politician may gain in the future from all of the companies that gain from this war.

I leave you with this though. In the end we may say that what the terrorist are doing is wrong and yes it is wrong. But, one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

1Via!
04-04-2007, 01:23 PM
I hate political correctness.

There are terrorists in the world who are intent on commiting acts of terror, the entire free world is at war with them, therefore it's a 'war on terror' ... I fail to see why this phrase is a problem.
Define "entire free world."

mRclARK1
04-04-2007, 04:01 PM
Define "entire free world."

As in where you and I live. Countries that aren't run by crazy theocracies or oppressive dictatorships, which is where the majority of terrorist organizations have there roots.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_World

The wiki definition refers to the Cold War and how the term refered to non-communist nations with greater personal freedom. I would say today the term is in contrast to nations run by theocracies and dictators more than communist style governments. I'm stopping right here though. I don't want this to turn into some political arguement.

DRavenS13
04-04-2007, 10:08 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/02/AR2007040201777.html

Makes you wonder where that letter came from (the explanation stated sounds phony), and why this "war" ever started in the first place.

fliprayzin240sx
04-04-2007, 10:21 PM
I guess no more GWOT medals for me....

A Spec Products
04-04-2007, 10:45 PM
We need to figure out how to save the planet

Instead of fighting

Use that money to fix the problems we've cause on the environment and reduce pollution and whatnot

(Guess what movie I just saw recently)

mRclARK1
04-04-2007, 11:21 PM

ummm...300? :keke:

Tenchuu
04-05-2007, 12:09 AM
it's a trap. search for global warming on here, been discussed, it may be happening but saying that people are doing it is for political motives and nothing else.

the easiest way to control people is to convince them that they have a problem and then convince them that you know the answer. <---think about that one and how many applications it has been used for over history.

mRclARK1
04-05-2007, 12:23 AM
the easiest way to control people is to convince them that they have a problem and then convince them that you know the answer. <---think about that one and how many applications it has been used for over history.

:werd:

msg. length

s13gold
04-05-2007, 02:07 AM
Save The Planet!!!!!!!

Replicant_S14
04-05-2007, 07:13 AM
Why are we still spending so much money on this war in Iraq that we don't even have the money to spend on our own homeland security.

We have plenty of money and it's being spent hand over fist. As silly as it seems, words do matter. No congressman wants to be on record as the guy that voted against "homeland security" but he/she might be more inclined to oppose some of the rediculous spending if it didn't have a newspeak type name attached to it.

In the name of "Homeland Security":
-$250,000 will be spent by city officials in
Newark, New Jersey, for air-conditioned
garbage trucks.
-$557,400 will be spent on communications
equipment by town officials in
North Pole, Alaska.
-$100,000 will be spent by the city government
of the District of Columbia to send
sanitation workers to Dale Carnegie
classes.
-$900,000 will be spent on the Steamship
Authority in Massachusetts, which runs
ferries to Martha’s Vineyard. When asked
about the hefty expenditure, the local
harbormaster confessed, “Quite honestly,
I don’t know what we’re going to do,
but you don’t turn down grant money.”

We need to figure out how to save the planet
We need to figure out how to stay on topic. :kiss:

RJF
04-05-2007, 08:44 AM

An Inconvenient Lie ?

Phlip
04-05-2007, 04:34 PM
I am quite okay with not calling it "the global war on terror" or "the long war," this is all the confirmation I needed to have been calling it "some ol' bullshit" for the last 4 years now.