PDA

View Full Version : AE86 coming back?

Matej
03-22-2007, 04:56 PM
http://news.windingroad.com/body-stylesmarket-segment/coupes/japan-report-no-quelling-toyota-ae86-revival-rumors

Rumors about a revival of that brilliant, rear-drive, lightweight Toyota Corolla Sport coupe that starred in the ‘80s continue to do make the rounds in Tokyo.

Known as the AE86, and sold in Japan variously as the Corolla Levin and Sprinter Trueno, it was also a hit in Europe as the Corolla GT and sold in North America as the Corolla Sport (in DX, SR5, and GT-S trims, respectively). It’s a car that’s still number one among the toge zoku, Japan’s late night mountain racing tribe thanks to a wonderful, willful chassis that was just born to powerslide.

Senior factions with Toyota have been keen to bring the car back, but the sales and marketing teams have so far torpedoed it because they can’t believe it would sell.

First, of course, Toyota would need a good Corolla-class, rear-drive chassis, but sadly, there aren’t too many of those to go around right now. But still, the speculation about a modern day AE86 just won’t go away…

TheSquidd
03-22-2007, 05:09 PM
Oh and did you hear about the new S16 they're gonna make!

:w00t:

:zzz:

A Spec Products
03-22-2007, 05:17 PM
Snoozetown.

It would be like a $25,000 AE86, which is like $25k out of the AE86 owner's budget.

Phlip
03-22-2007, 05:25 PM
Did someone mention marketing a new car to the internet subculture of "drifters," as if that was a credible point of marketing a car that would HAVE to be $20k or better?
I didn't bother being interested enough to look at the article, and apparently I won't miss anything as a result.

kdashy
03-22-2007, 05:42 PM
New cars are just not for us.

jonathans15
03-22-2007, 06:04 PM
Oh and did you hear about the new S16 they're gonna make! post picture plz~!

azndoc
03-22-2007, 07:34 PM

^^^ True that. Well kind of in my case.

KidSaru
03-22-2007, 07:41 PM
People also said that the Altezza "is the next AE86!"

Don't believe the hype.

Yuri
03-22-2007, 07:45 PM
I did a project for toyota while going to school for car design, doing a modern day AE86. The head of Toyota Design- Japan went crazy over it. They really want to bring one back, but it'll be a matter of whether they can make a business case for it.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/Yurikaze/Trueno34.jpg

4thHorse
03-22-2007, 07:56 PM
This is old news that has been floating around for awhile. About every 2 years something like this comes up gets 86 owners gitty and then nothing.

Also very nice Yuri

SochBAT
03-23-2007, 02:03 AM
I love all of Yuri's auto renditions. Send me some!

kdashy
03-23-2007, 02:09 AM
I did a project for toyota while going to school for car design, doing a modern day AE86. The head of Toyota Design- Japan went crazy over it. They really want to bring one back, but it'll be a matter of whether they can make a business case for it.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b321/Yurikaze/Trueno34.jpg

I still remember you telling me this story over a year ago.

When you still had your red hatch.

Helghast
03-23-2007, 02:38 AM
post picture plz~!

:hahano:

Seriously?

articdragon192
03-23-2007, 02:56 AM
:hahano:

Seriously?

I thought I was the only one who caught that, hahaha,

exitspeed
03-23-2007, 07:28 AM
I almost posted this yesterday (cause I usually post this kinda stuff here) but this one I just felt was a lil too "we're heard that before". I mean they really don't mention anything new, engine/wise, had they, I would have beat you to it. ;)

Toyota's been failing lately if you like a car with any kind of spirit. If they don't build it, no one will be surprised.

FaLKoN240
03-23-2007, 08:21 AM
post picture plz~!

Did you know that gullible isn't in the dictionary?

On a serious note, isn't this like when they said Nissan was remaking a dime concept?

s13gold
03-23-2007, 09:18 AM
nobody will buy it...it will be expensive and everybody fixing up their ride is on a budget unless you're factory backed or something like that.

you'd be paying monthly payments and not having any money to fix it up.

Taniguchi_Is_#1
03-23-2007, 09:28 AM
hahaha. i heard this "rumor" like, 5 years ago. like everyone else says, crap like this always pops up, but it's probably never gonna happen.

98koukile
03-23-2007, 09:51 AM
Toyota doesn't need to build anything for the spirited driver... they've almost passed out GM as #1 in sales worldwide
Lexus will have the only performance cars you'll see from them for awhile

exitspeed
03-23-2007, 10:13 AM
Toyota doesn't need to build anything for the spirited driver... they've almost passed out GM as #1 in sales worldwide
Lexus will have the only performance cars you'll see from them for awhile

Actually Toyota has stated that in order for them to be #1 they need 3 sporty/sport cars in their line-up. They also said that all three would be hybrids.

TheSquidd
03-23-2007, 10:21 AM
Actually Toyota has stated that in order for them to be #1 they need 3 sporty/sport cars in their line-up. They also said that all three would be hybrids.

It's A PARADOX!!1

wootwoot
03-23-2007, 10:21 AM
I would like to mention that the new Toyota Tundra is one of the fastest "cars" stock they have ever made. Buddy runs low 14's.

pr0ject TRUENO
03-23-2007, 10:30 AM
Snoozetown.

It would be like a $25,000 AE86, which is like $25k out of the AE86 owner's budget.

EXACTLY. lol.

exitspeed
03-23-2007, 10:30 AM
It's A PARADOX!!1

Indeed. Indeed. Only time will tell.

adrians_s13
03-23-2007, 10:34 AM
not gonna happen, besides, I'm not too much of a fan of the retrofied cars anyways...

Matej
03-23-2007, 01:00 PM
Everyone is so pessimistic. :)
I'm not saying it will happen, and I know that most of the current AE86 owners wouldn't buy one if it came out, but at the same time, none of them probably bought their AE86's when they came out. The car would be marketed to people who can afford it, and if they could make it compete with the Miata or the S2K, or the Solstice and all those ugly cars, it could sell well. Then after a few years, they would get kicked down to second and third owners, just like old AE86's and 240's.

theicecreamdan
03-23-2007, 01:27 PM
my AE86 is a piece of shit... why would I want a new one?

Yuri
03-23-2007, 01:47 PM
I'd get a new one, if I hadn't sworn off buying new cars.

You can buy used kick-ass semi-exotics for the price of a new economy car.

And a Jaguar XK8, BMW 8-series, or Porsche Boxster will always trump a brand new Corolla in the coolness factor.

TheSquidd
03-23-2007, 02:39 PM
*snip* BMW 8-series *snip will always trump a brand new Corolla in the coolness factor.

Fixed.

http://www.autopower.se/galleri/whymustthey/bilder/raggar850.jpg

A Spec Products
03-23-2007, 02:45 PM
I don't think any auto manufacturer has brought back a car exactly (or near exact) to the same car they released back in the day.

I think maybe the Mini Cooper over in the UK? It has the same body but engine/interior is updated.

Other than that it would probably be not cost effective.

TheSquidd
03-23-2007, 02:52 PM
No way! The new Dodge Charger, Ford Mustang, Chevy Camaro all RULE! They embody EVERYTHING the originals stood for!

Oh wait, hahaha no they fucking dont.

Baka Sama
03-23-2007, 02:56 PM
All they have to do is mass reproduce the same exact car from the 80's. Tape deck and all. I guarantee it would sell out.

Taniguchi_Is_#1
03-23-2007, 02:58 PM
Everyone is so pessimistic. :)
I'm not saying it will happen, and I know that most of the current AE86 owners wouldn't buy one if it came out, but at the same time, none of them probably bought their AE86's when they came out. The car would be marketed to people who can afford it, and if they could make it compete with the Miata or the S2K, or the Solstice and all those ugly cars, it could sell well. Then after a few years, they would get kicked down to second and third owners, just like old AE86's and 240's.

how could an AE86 POSSIBLY compete with the s2k, miata, solstice, etc these days? the miata can stomp on RX8's. solstice comes with power to spare. let's not even talk s2k. AE86 are just plain outdated. unless they put ae86 panels on a modern chassis and strap in the BEAMS 3s-ge altezza drivetrain or something, it's not gonna happen.

wootwoot
03-23-2007, 03:10 PM
No way! The new Dodge Charger, Ford Mustang, Chevy Camaro all RULE! They embody EVERYTHING the originals stood for!

Oh wait, hahaha no they fucking dont.

while this is true I find it funny that the GTO did emobody the original cars general spirit. Take a boring car and put a big motor in it. BOOM DONE

vvtisupra
03-23-2007, 03:13 PM
weren't they still producing bare chassis not too long ago for the n2 races

TheSquidd
03-23-2007, 03:34 PM
while this is true I find it funny that the GTO did emobody the original cars general spirit. Take a boring car and put a big motor in it. BOOM DONE

Wasn't that car a Holden?

Don't get me wrong , I really liked the GTO, big, brawny, simple, cheap RWD v8 beast. That's why it wasn't in that list ^_^

Charger? It's just a 4 door Magnum.
Mustang, actually it's still embodies a lot of what Mustangs (to me) stand for, cheap RWD American sports cars for everyone.

I dunno. I'm just skeptical of any new car release. The market wants Heavy V6 FWD, SUV's for crashing into stuff and Navigation systems, not stripped down features on a really light car that makes 130hp and could fit under an escalade.

exitspeed
03-23-2007, 03:51 PM
^
The only reason the GTO didn't work here, is because it was called a GTO. The second reason is because of the modest styling. But I was glad they didn't go retro with it.

TheSquidd
03-23-2007, 03:56 PM
^
The only reason the GTO didn't work here, is because it was called a GTO. The second reason is because of the modest styling. But I was glad they didn't go retro with it.

Yeah the Holden Monaro looked fucking wicked, I wish they'd quit dumbing shit down for Americans, every country does it. Just give us the damn cars you make, the way you make them, if they sell well in Australia, if they sell well in Germany, they'll sell well here. :rl:

UfoZ8myCow
03-23-2007, 08:10 PM
My AE86 was a fun car to drive but it was a piece of shit. Sooo ghetto it made my S13 look like a freaking luxury car. And like Logan said, a brand new $25,000 AE86 would be about $24,990 out of most 86 owners' budgets.

They should have just made the Scion tC lighter and RWD and they would have sold like hotcakes.

bboyt3nsk
03-23-2007, 08:18 PM
Marketing and sales for toyota seriously has to be 90 years old that live under rocks. I have lost all respect for Toyota. F stupid emissions and put out a damn sports car. Toyota= Pussies until they come out with with that AE86.

<sigh>I feel better now

ladiesman8527
03-23-2007, 08:49 PM
Oh and did you hear about the new S16 they're gonna make!

:w00t:

:zzz:

lol, remember this:

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f7/JDMDrifter/s16.jpg

ae86diego
03-23-2007, 08:49 PM
toyota is actually working on a supra based on the IS 350 platform and drivetrain. pricing will be close to that of the 350z.

98koukile
03-23-2007, 08:50 PM
Although Toyota may be pussies they seem to know something Nissan doesn't

General Motors: 8.59 million vehicles sold
Toyota: 6.78 million vehicles sold
Ford: 6.54
Volkswagen: 5.02
Daimler-Chrysler: 4.36
PSA/Peugeout/Citroen: 3.29
Hyundai: 3.05
Nissan: 2.97
Honda: 2.91
Renault: 2.39

Actually almost everyone knows something Nissan doesn't

derek_s13
03-23-2007, 10:30 PM
^^they know america loves to blow cash on peices of shit.

peugot? citroen? those aren't even american sales numbers.

nissan has been trying to put out quality vehicles with good design, but we won't have it.
they're "learning" though. they didn't give us the S15, cuz they "learned" we'd
rather a 98 pontiac grand shit. look at what they've done to the sentra for '07.
looks like a prius. all their good designs are getting worked into the infiniti line.

TurDz
03-23-2007, 10:49 PM
The chances of a revival of the AE86 is nil.

Toyota is basically trying to take out GM in market share, and they'll do anything to do it. It's obvious they've completely disregarded car enthusiats by just taking a look at their whole lineup. Even the IS250/350 is considered to be only somewhat sporty.

In my opinion, the Toyota execs feel that building a sports car right now will cause them to lose focus on the GM hunt. It's just not their priority right now, and in terms of profit, it's working for them. They have resorted to pure transportation with reliable engines, quiet interiors, and soft rides, which 95% of people want.

Sil-Abc
03-23-2007, 11:03 PM
They have resorted to pure transportation with reliable engines, quiet interiors, and soft rides, which 95% of people want.
I'd like that right about now.

-EchoOfSilence

bboyt3nsk
03-24-2007, 03:02 PM
Although Toyota may be pussies they seem to know something Nissan doesn't

General Motors: 8.59 million vehicles sold
Toyota: 6.78 million vehicles sold
Ford: 6.54
Volkswagen: 5.02
Daimler-Chrysler: 4.36
PSA/Peugeout/Citroen: 3.29
Hyundai: 3.05
Nissan: 2.97
Honda: 2.91
Renault: 2.39

Actually almost everyone knows something Nissan doesn't

haha, thats not fair though! I guess I don't see the whole "green" thing then.

Good info

FRpilot
03-24-2007, 03:39 PM
Snoozetown.

idk, some ae86 meets i went to a few years ago in norcal, most of the owners were older men who spent a lot on their hachis. some people tell me the hachi crowd is more willing to spend money than the 240sx cheap teenager crowd and have switch to selling stuff to hachi owners instead.

even more of a surprise, i remember the owner of rcrew, a shop specializing mostly in honda up in sf, telling one of my friends who distributes for him that a lot of his customers who have their hondas built for them are people who make six digit incomes. despite that those rich bastards are outnumbered by cheap ricers like 100 to 1, i still believe that if shops like rcrew can sustain a business with few people who actually have money to spend, then a rwd corolla type car would be possible if unlikely.

i dont think a rwd corolla will cost 25k. how much did the old ones sell for new? i'm assuming the equivilent of today's 15k-18k? it was a econo bucket back then that just happened to be rwd. of course, producing rwd cars is more expensive than fwd, but the current corolla sells for like 13k now? and they have the xrs corolla with 2zz engine in it as an option. I'm sure they can market and sell a rwd corolla for 16-18k to make up the more expensive rwd production cost. which is 3-5k more than the current corollas. i mean, recently honda moved their civic from a 13-16k econo bucket car to a more mid-sized priced car below their accord and offered the honda fit and other cars for their entry level econo buckets. toyota can do the same with the corolla. they have the yaris to be like the fit for honda as their econo bucket line. then make a new corolla the new 16-20k car like the new civic.

hell they dont even have to do rnd for a new engine. just use the current 1zz and 2zz engines, which some toyota enthusiasts claim is the modern day 4ag and can be the equivilent to the gt and gt-s versions back in the day. the 2zz is a mass produced engine that several manufacturers use (designed by yamaha, produced by toyota, with lotus and pontiac having a contract with toyota to supply them for their cars) so the price to produce them should be cheap compared to super engines like an rb26 or 2jz. they would have to rnd a new rwd transimission but thats about it. this would keep constant with the notion that their corolla line is an econo bucket na car. it would be nice if they can have a turbo corolla, but that would be pushing it and wont fit the econo car idea that the corolla is. turboing and engine swaps should be left for the true car enthusiasts.

this is all speculation and possibly not going to happen, but what i reasoned in my head...

OptionZero
03-24-2007, 03:58 PM
Toyota does not run a small tuning shop in the Bay Area. They run a multinational car company. Rcrew's continued existence has no bearing on the viability of a cheap, RWD car from Toyota.

The percentage of buyers who have around $20k to spend and actually value RWD is small. If you don't believe me, ask A Spec Logan how many RWD fitment TE-37's he sells. The vast majority of enthusiasts can't even afford $2k for wheels, much less ten times that for a car with its own associated costs (insurance, gas, maintenance).

From a personal standpoint, when I graduate and get a (new) full-time job, I wouldn't even bother with a 20k RWD car. If I want performance, i'll go to the used car market. If I need a daily beater, I'd go to the used car market. Either way, I'd get better value used.

If I to get a new car, it would be from Lotus or Aston Martin =)

McRussellPants
03-24-2007, 04:04 PM
I don't know what this thread is about.

But people who beat off to corrolas have obviously never driven anything else...

Maybe they toodled around in a friends S-Chassis Pignose with 300,000 miles on it and a broken frame and 2 cylinders, because thats about the only thing Id take a corrola over.

FRpilot
03-24-2007, 11:38 PM
yea i agree corollas are weak. so are 240sx.. what i need is a daily driver. when i bought an s13 so many years ago, the option just appealed to me way more than a civic, integra or prelude, more affordable than an mr2 turbo, and definitely no way i was touching a rotary or even could afford an FD. but now, i somewhat hate s13s. i advise all my friends to not get them. it's good for a track only car because its cheap and so many parts for it, but i would not drive that shit for dd, especially if you are a college student. plus, the design of an s13 is getting even more and more dated every year that passes. before it was somewhat ok, now i just see them as ghetto.

also true about toyota's business plan.. toysport, a shop dedicated to toyota sports cars made the same argument that corporate sucess is more important to toyota than car enthusiasts because the amount of car people is sooo small in general. The last sports cars made by toyota, if you even consider them sportscars, are the celica and mr2 spyder which have been killed, and we're not likely going to see anything sporty from toyota in a while.

im not trying to make an argument for toyota and know that the possibly of a rwd or any type of sports car revival is unlikely since they are a business and will go where the money is, which is not sports cars. imo, most all car companies from japan's offering of new sports car types are weak. 350z, rx8, etc, give me a break.

what i stated is just some type of reasoning for toyota to build a new cheap sports beater even though it's highly unlikely. just trying to have a fun discussion with people who like to discuss the possiblities even though it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that toyota will make a rwd corolla. you know.. like trying to throw out some ideas. you misunderstood the rcrew example for what i was trying to explain. i'm not saying things will work because rcrew can handle it or toyota is in the same business. by using the rcrew example, im trying to emphasize that there is somewhat of a market for sports cars and performance, and sure toyota doesnt run like rcrew does. im just trying to support the idea that there is a market of rich people who are willing to spend money on performance but it is too small for toyota to even consider. the cost far outweigh the benefits for toyota. im not trying to argue with anyone or trying to start a fight online, im just trying to discuss some feasible ideas even though it is highly unlikely. after all, this is a discussion forum to discuss things. not a online war debate. but yea. it is highly unlikely that toyota will make a rwd corolla, but its always fun to throw out ideas to have something to talk about.

i along with many people on zilvia are probably not likely going to purchase a 50k mercedes even if we can afford too. we rather buy old cars and modify them but at the same time we need transportation. a street car will never be a full blown track car especially in ca. there's just too many things getting in the way. if i do buy a new car, it would be for dd and reliability. and i am even reluctant to throw down 20k much less 15k for a new econo bucket because cars will just depreciate. but people shouldn't look at cars like me.. i realize that you are paying that much for a car for its reliability and newness. i'm sure there are people who would like to possibliy of a cheap rwd corolla type bucket as an option if they were in the market for an entry level car. if you were going to spend 15-18k regardless and you had to choose between a fit, yaris, miata, neon, focus, whatever.. its good to have a rwd corolla as an option too.. more options never hurts and im sure the idea of having a rwd bucket as an option would be nice compared to those fwd pos. miata is nice too.

Farzam
03-27-2007, 04:19 PM
Fixed.

http://www.autopower.se/galleri/whymustthey/bilder/raggar850.jpg

Be sure to return the wheels from my Accord before I forget.

BATTLESHIP.

TheSquidd
03-27-2007, 04:33 PM
Be sure to return the wheels from my Accord before I forget.

BATTLESHIP.

Yeah, offset fail but it's okay because

1. It's an 8 series.
2. It's shooting out 6 ft flames
3. It just completed the Gumball 3000, something no one on here would ever have the balls or money to ever do.
D. It's a fucking 8 Series.

Nice try though.

swift_style
03-29-2007, 09:32 PM
I hear you on that one. I'm an old school kinda guy. Don't really like 2000+ cars.