PDA

View Full Version : How much should I ask for?

shayrgob240
03-17-2007, 08:37 AM
So...my buddy just opened up a shop called protege garage in libertyville, IL. We are NOT officially open yet but will be soon. Anyway, I talked to him the other day about how much he planned on paying me and in response to that he said "how much do you want?" lol

So I'm thinking $12 to start. What do you guys think? Keep in mind this is NOT an established business so 12 sounds fair. I would ideally like a little more but not sure if that's realistic. Let me know guys! thanks

Ninjabread
03-17-2007, 08:40 AM
Being that I live in Canada, the rates are different here, but 12$ an hour seems fair. What will you be doing when working for him?

btw this is teknobuzz89 from 240F.

shayrgob240
03-17-2007, 08:58 AM
Being that I live in Canada, the rates are different here, but 12$ an hour seems fair. What will you be doing when working for him?

btw this is teknobuzz89 from 240F.

for some reason your username doesn't ring a bell. Myabe you don't post much?

anyway, i will be doing everythign! Specifically I will be wrenching, tuning, selling parts, talking to customrs, advertising, etc.

Daniel.
03-17-2007, 03:14 PM
i dont know the cost of living out where you're at, but for those kinds of responsibilities out here in cali i would ask for at least 18.

azndoc
03-17-2007, 04:42 PM

anyway, i will be doing everythign! Specifically I will be wrenching, tuning, selling parts, talking to customrs, advertising, etc.

Seems like you'll be Jack of all trades at that shop. If your wrenching, tuning, selling parts, and talking to customers and advertising I don't think there's enough hours out of the day for all that.

I work on sales at the shop and that's all I do. I sometimes have time to go to the back and help out with the wrenching but rarely. If one of those things where you can't be at ten places at the same time.

You have to ask yourself this though. If he going to pay me commission for the stuff I sell? How much hours will I be working per week? $12 seems okay if your just helping a friend out, but it's not that much for the number of job titles you have listed. Also is is $12 cash under the table or with tax taken out.

Good luck with it though

shayrgob240
03-17-2007, 10:58 PM
Seems like you'll be Jack of all trades at that shop. If your wrenching, tuning, selling parts, and talking to customers and advertising I don't think there's enough hours out of the day for all that.

I work on sales at the shop and that's all I do. I sometimes have time to go to the back and help out with the wrenching but rarely. If one of those things where you can't be at ten places at the same time.

You have to ask yourself this though. If he going to pay me commission for the stuff I sell? How much hours will I be working per week? $12 seems okay if your just helping a friend out, but it's not that much for the number of job titles you have listed. Also is is $12 cash under the table or with tax taken out.

Good luck with it though

See, the thing is that he's just starting the business so it's not going to be the most organized shop in the world to start off. Eventually I would imagine that our roles would be different. I told him today that I was thinking $12 and he didn't agree to that. But he also didn't disagree. He merely said that he wants to see how things go then he'll decide. The truth is that I'm working for free right now till we actually truly open our doors (but we still accept business-- a lot actually).

I don't know. Either way, it will be an awesome experience for me.

Daniel.
03-17-2007, 11:06 PM
What you do is your decision but working for free?

shayrgob240
03-17-2007, 11:38 PM
What you do is your decision but working for free?

yeah, I know it's crazy but it's only for a very short period. honostly, it's probably us being friends that has influenced me. Otherwise I would say fuck u!! lol

I plan on being w/ him for a long time so what's a couple weeks?

Bryants95240sx
03-17-2007, 11:41 PM
I would be weary about doing buisness with friends, ive seen many fail because of that alone.

shayrgob240
03-18-2007, 12:07 AM
I would be weary about doing buisness with friends, ive seen many fail because of that alone.

I don't necessarily like everything they do but everyone has their own perspective on things so I try and respect that. I think we're mature enough to handle it. But then it might have NOTHING to do w/ maturity and more to do w/ incompatability in ideas?

Bryants95240sx
03-18-2007, 12:19 AM
It just seems to me in any situation where friends and money(business) are involved it causes friction on the relationship,and everyone has their breaking point.

Although I don't know your friend or you,so yall could be completely fine.

A Spec Products
03-18-2007, 10:57 AM

Do you have experience in the industry? Are you certified to be a mechanic?

Those kind of factors will affect the amount you could ask for.

But yeah, I typically wouldn't work for a friend, unless you are already aware of what kind of working relationship you can have.

Also, I would choose one or the other, try not to do everything there, it's better to be specialized, so either do sales or wrench, don't do both.

i dont know the cost of living out where you're at, but for those kinds of responsibilities out here in cali i would ask for at least 18.

Eh, I highly doubt a small shop like that out here in Cali would pay someone $18/hr.

Cost of living doesn't really affect this industry. I'd say that pay rates in this industry are pretty low, considering the amount of effort you usually put in. I'm going to blame the low pay rate on lowballer customers. Hahah, no not really, but this industry typically isn't for those who seek monetary value.

thejapino
03-18-2007, 11:35 AM
if you're good friends, you two should be able to talk it out. remember, business is business so you shouldn't let friendship become a factor when you are negotiating wage. if your friend is intending for you to work for him for free than he is taking advantage of you and using your friendship as leverage get free labor.

Right now, since the business is new, it seems like there is no solid plan as far as wage/job responsibility. working for free 'only for a very short period' could mean a couple of weeks or couple of months. how long could you work for free for? ask him for a timeline. you guys are friends so this should be easy and constructive. ever considered becoming business partners?

Off topic, when i was fresh out of h.s. i used to work at kragen with a bunch of friends. it was fun until i got promoted to asst. manager then it got difficult. it was tough to draw the line b/c it was business vs. friendship. i ended up getting transfered to a different store b/c we kept fucking around at work! ah, memories of being drunk during truck night, airsoft battles, freon bombs, copying jackass and telling white mike to jump off the 2nd floor into a stack of pallets full of fram air filters. - good times

Farzam
03-21-2007, 06:31 AM
$12/hr is about right.

Good luck with your venture.