PDA

View Full Version : Street Racing Suspected in Deadly Crash

mrs.drift33
03-16-2007, 03:09 PM
One woman was killed in a violent crash on the 60 freeway early Friday morning, and now the California Highway Patrol (CHP) is investigating whether the driver was street racing.

It happened in the eastbound lanes near the Rubidoux Boulevard exit. The 60 was temporarily closed after the accident.

The CHP says that the Toyota Celica involved was crushed in the accident. They say witnesses told them that the Toyota and a BMW Z4 were racing eastbound on the 60 freeway, just west of Rubidoux Boulevard just after midnight. The driver of the Toyota lost control, hit a guardrail on the right shoulder, and flipped over several times before landing on the center divider.

The CHP says that one female passenger sitting in the backseat of that Toyota was killed. The driver of the car and the two other passengers were injured.

The CHP says that they are looking into whether or not the two cars involved were racing.

Sgt. Trace Manning, CHP: "We had two vehicles that according to witnesses may have been engaged in a street race out here on the freeway. One of the vehicles lost control, overturned, killing a female passenger.

It seems that nobody inside of the BMW was hurt in the accident. The CHP says that the two passengers inside the Toyota did receive some major injuries -- they are in critical condition at a local hospital. The driver of the Toyota did receive moderate injuries.

1. cops always think it is racing.
2. why didnt the guy in the BMW take off???

just wanted to show you guys this

s13gold
03-16-2007, 03:17 PM
the general public always calls it street racing.

it is too misinterpreted. and misunderstood.

S13FREEAAK
03-16-2007, 03:18 PM
1. cops always think it is racing.

1. Because alot of the times it is.

2. Becuase, maybe thats the right thing to do. Own up to your actions.

seekanddestroy
03-16-2007, 03:21 PM

Because he isn't a piece of shit scumbag? :ugh:

sideview_180sx
03-16-2007, 03:22 PM
its the typical shit you see on the fwy. you are cruising and someone goes by a lil' faster then the rest of traffic. suddenly another jumps out to chase like cat and mouse. they both end up speeding thru traffic. everyone in so cal is used to that shit. this time someone died. it was a z4 and a celica. typical people wanting to speed.

mrs.drift33
03-16-2007, 03:28 PM
i was thinking when there is street races and theres that one idoit who crashes and everyone takes off... you always get those storys saying the other guy fled it must have been racing.. but he stood at there why would they still say its racing.... nobody wants to get caught racing

illvialuver
03-16-2007, 03:32 PM
you know i think people that do 55 in the carpool lane would call it racing. but alot of the time if your on the freeway and someone is drivine 75 80 you pace them so your goign with the flow. i think it helps avoid tickets, up to the point when your doign like 100 .

but to any slow ass they would think it was street racing.

and the bmw z4 is kinda slow, a stock ka24 dohc can hang with them on the freeway. its slower than a saturn ion.

kensreliableb18b
03-16-2007, 03:36 PM
i was thinking when there is street races and theres that one idoit who crashes and everyone takes off... you always get those storys saying the other guy fled it must have been racing.. but he stood at there why would they still say its racing.... nobody wants to get caught racing

i wouldnt go out on a limb and say the person who crashed was an idiot. imo, if you get caught up in the moment, you're both idiots; but who hasnt done stupid stuff in their life? point is, someone died and the beemer didnt run and well, he got arrested for what most likely was in fact a "speed contest"

so with that

1. in most cases it is
2. if he had ran? wouldve put himself into a situation 10x worse than now

S13SilviaGirl
03-16-2007, 05:13 PM
Considering the area it was in...there is a lot of street racing and hell, people driving like idiots. Roubidoux? The area has tons of accidents and tons of people hauling ass on a freeway that shouldnt be driven on like that.

HyperTek
03-16-2007, 05:23 PM
they could have been 2 random cars that happen to be speeding around the same area and the bimmer witnesses the celica crash, so he stays to help em etc.. who knows

If you guys want to question this article, just leave it open, who knows, media sources arent always direct information, usually third party he said she said.

Ive been questioned by news reporters b4 for prior events around me and *even tho I say no thanks* i know i could feed em some false info and they would go with it.

azndoc
03-17-2007, 05:10 PM
I believe that everyone speeds on the freeways. And at times when I am in a emergency (notice I said emergency) situation I would speed faster than normal. Do I like to street race or freeway race. No, why because it puts other people's lives in jeopardy. Have I done it before, yes just like everyone else. But, I have learned that it's stupid and not worth it. If I killed myself doing something stupid, that's fine. But if I killed someone else in the process of doing something stupid then I couldn't live with myself. Majority of the people get caught up in a situation and it all seems like a good idea at the time when it's not.

90hatchie
03-17-2007, 05:32 PM
fwd kills....

94cc0rd
03-18-2007, 02:45 AM
stupid. this is like 5 minutes from my exit and it just sucks to hear that there was a fatality. if i was a driver and one of my passengers in my car died in an accident, i would feel horrible, whether i was street racing or not...

and the bmw z4 is kinda slow, a stock ka24 dohc can hang with them on the freeway. its slower than a saturn ion.

it doesn't matter if a car is slow... *almost* any car can go "fast"... maybe not accelerate as fast, but on the freeway, it's all the same thing...

RiversideS13
03-18-2007, 02:57 AM
i doubt it is a street race at 100 mph....

anyway, here is the news from CBS

http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_075155947.html

A 21-year-old UC Riverside student was killed Friday when the vehicle she was riding in slammed into a freeway guardrail during a 100-mph street race, a spokeswoman for the California Highway Patrol said.

Jun Dong Shim and Lincoln Kennedy Vu, both 22, were booked into the Robert Presley Detention Center in Riverside on suspicion of second-degree murder and reckless driving for a deadly crash on the Moreno Valley (60) Freeway, according to Riverside County Sheriff's Department records.

Vu was allegedly driving a Toyota Celica that lost control and rolled at high speed during the crash. Shim was identified as the alleged driver of the late-model BMW that was racing Vu's Celica when the incident occurred.

CHP Officer Jaci Parent said the fatal crash occurred around 12:30 a.m. on the eastbound Moreno Valley (60) Freeway, near the exit for Rubidoux Boulevard in Riverside.

"What we know is the Celica goes out of control for unknown reasons, slams into a guardrail, overturns, and slides across several lanes of traffic before coming to rest on the north shoulder," Parent said.

The driver and three passengers suffered varying degrees of injuries, Parent said, none of them considered life-threatening.

It's believed they were all UCR students, but that has not been confirmed, Parent said.

The 21-year-old victim, identified only as a UCR student from Orange, died at the scene, according to the Riverside County Coroner's office.

"The university is stunned," a university statement said. "Our condolences go out to the families and friends of the students involved."

Shim left the freeway on Market Street after the crash and contacted authorities, Parent said. After speaking to Shim, CHP officers arrested him on suspicion of "engaging in a speed contest that resulted in great bodily injury or death," a felony, according to Parent.

The charges against Shim and Vu were later amended to include second-degree murder, and a misdemeanor charge for holding an illegal speeding contest, according to jail records.

Both suspects are being held in lieu of $1 million bail and are expected to be arraigned on Tuesday, jail records indicated.

The name of the dead woman was being withheld pending notification of her family.

seekanddestroy
03-18-2007, 10:29 AM
The government should find something else to spend there money on rather than investigating EVERY single crash as "street racing" and trying to throw the guy driving the other car, who was "supposedly" "street racing" in jail for second degree murder, what a load of horseshit.

StaticX27
03-18-2007, 12:21 PM
BTW. The driver of the Celica says he wasn't racing. Indirectly I'm friends with these guys. I have yet to hear the complete story, since I really dont' want to go to a detention center to get it, but the kid swore up and down to his dad that he wasn't racing anyone.

Should be getting more information as time goes on, my friend's law office is actually representing them in this whole thing.

Tenchuu
03-18-2007, 01:20 PM
Just FYI, if i was the guy in the BMW, i would have left in a hurry, i don't street race like that anyways, but i know people that are doing hard time for manslaughter because someone else that doesn't know how to drive tries to go fast.

Under usual conditions i would say yes, be the good guy that stops and helps, but now the cops throw you in jail for 10+years for stopping and helping, thus discouraging good people to help out.

in the police's eyes, strangling ad stabbing someone is just as bad as them raceing you and flipping their car.

SimpleSexy180
03-18-2007, 01:38 PM
this thread pisses me off. Typical california politics.

adrians_s13
03-18-2007, 01:42 PM
I saw this on the news the other day... now the CHP is having checkpoints for modified cars.

68+ cars were impounded last friday in the Riverside area because they were "modified." They are specifically looking for intake filters, anything chrome in the engine bay, gauges, and exhausts.

but of course, the Toyota and BMW that were supposidly "racing" weren't even fucking modified... god damn California fucking sucks right now.

HyperTek
03-18-2007, 08:54 PM
damm , one of my friends myspace said this girl linda recently died this week, happens to also have been a ucr student. i wonder if that was her... sad

I tried to look at the girls myspace but its viewable to added friends only.. so i dunno if it was the same person..

azndoc
03-19-2007, 11:53 AM
It's hard to say if they were racing or not. It's just the way the police and the media like to twist things up to make it more viewable to the audience. It wouldn't be a big deal if it involved two mini vans that just happened to be going at a fast pace on the freeway. It sucks that it's label as a illegal freeway race just because it happens to be two sports coupes. Then again majority of the freeways do have cameras now so I'm sure that the videos they have may show then actually weaving in and out of traffic, hard to say. Just sucks in general for all of us and the family of the girl that died as a result to that.

silverarrow27
03-19-2007, 11:54 PM
fwd kills....

Stupid thing to say when Celicas also came in awd configuration too.

Matej
03-20-2007, 12:31 AM
It's hard to say if they were racing or not. It's just the way the police and the media like to twist things up to make it more viewable to the audience. It wouldn't be a big deal if it involved two mini vans that just happened to be going at a fast pace on the freeway. It sucks that it's label as a illegal freeway race just because it happens to be two sports coupes. Then again majority of the freeways do have cameras now so I'm sure that the videos they have may show then actually weaving in and out of traffic, hard to say. Just sucks in general for all of us and the family of the girl that died as a result to that.
Apparently when an import car with young people crashes, it's street racing.

SiI40sx
03-20-2007, 01:41 AM
Wow who the hell races with 3 people in the car? Also at that speed I completely understand why he crashed, its really dangerous to be driving aggressively at 100mph+, a lot of people dont realize how easily a car loses control going that fast.

The worst part of all of this, besides the death of the girl, if you pay attention to whats going on, you can see the direction that this already taking. Remember driving is a privledge not a right. Its only a matter of time before NO modifications are allowed and fines are increased to such a ridiculous amount where its not even worth it. So much for the aftermarket industry in 10 years.

Dutchmalmiss
03-20-2007, 10:39 AM
^^^ I second that one. And to those arguing about the celica's driving configuration, STFU! In this case, a car's a car and they crash the same.

TheSquidd
03-20-2007, 10:47 AM
Stupid thing to say when Celicas also came in awd configuration too.

I'm 100% sure this was a FWD configuration Celica. :mrmeph:

'90RPS13
03-20-2007, 10:51 AM
Jun Dong Shim and Lincoln Kennedy Vu, both 22, were booked into the Robert Presley Detention Center in Riverside on suspicion of second-degree murder and reckless driving for a deadly crash on the Moreno Valley (60) Freeway, according to Riverside County Sheriff's Department records.

Parents must 0f really liked the US when they name that damn kid. Shit, if it ever comes to the point no mods, I am 110% going to become Kevin's neighbor in JP! haha.

Sad situation, but if it was a street race, sometimes you have to be held for your actions. And I dont mean this to the 2 jailed either. Everyone knows the risk when you drop the hammer.

Another reason I think the DMV should have a better test then just drive around at 35mph and do a couple typical turns?

TheSquidd
03-20-2007, 11:05 AM
Sad situation, but if it was a street race, sometimes you have to be held for your actions. And I dont mean this to the 2 jailed either. Everyone knows the risk when you drop the hammer.

The problem is they don't punish just the offenders, they punish all car enthusiasts as a result. We get stricter laws, and more harassment from police.

silverarrow27
03-20-2007, 08:44 PM
The problem is they don't punish just the offenders, they punish all car enthusiasts as a result. We get stricter laws, and more harassment from police.

GOOD! Every little bit helps to keep irresponsible drivers off the streets.

Matej
03-20-2007, 09:44 PM
Whenever I'm in Europe, I'm scared to death while riding in a car with someone. By U.S. standards, everyone over there would be street racing. Yet they don't have nearly as high of an accident ratio as the U.S. does.
Maybe that's because it takes 6 months to complete driving courses and tests, then you have to pay at least $1000 for everything, and if you don't pass the final exam, you have to retake everything and pay again if you want to get your license.

HyperTek
03-20-2007, 09:59 PM
it was a seriously bad accident, now these driver's lives will be ruined by the results.

I have a friend who unfortinutely hit some kids who where walking in the street while speeding around a corner that is notorious for speeders. A oncoming van served into his lane so he had to push up onto the shoulder to avoid it, unknowing there where kids where walking. Van drove off, never identified. At the time, it was just a dirt run off, now they have a paved sidewalk there. One of the kids had died from the injuries. We feared that my friends life is now ruined for good and facing time in prison. He had his trial, he was lucky enough to get house arrest, being it was an accident. Before all this, he was a good college student with good grades, after all this, he jus became a mechanic and is doing decent on his own.

This is just a bad accident that should never have happened. It will change the lives of those involved.

Another story just recently, a girl that all my friends know has just died, she was riding in a car, this was the night of st. patricks, they where on the freeway, and slamed into the back of an ambulance..
pretty sad week

'90RPS13
03-20-2007, 10:15 PM
GOOD! Every little bit helps to keep irresponsible drivers off the streets.

Alrighty asshat. Your comment has nothing to do with Squidd's. He is talking about enthusiasts. NOT RACERS.

airsoft
03-21-2007, 12:42 AM
It was bad.
The girl was a friend of a friend from UCR.
Not gunna say much other than,

Be careful and make smart decisions on teh road.

sideview_180sx
03-21-2007, 12:55 AM
the night of st. patricks, they where on the freeway, and slammed into the back of an ambulance..

fuck if that ain't way to be told YOU SUCK. What is said is that the accident might have prevented them EMTs from getting their gear to have possibly saved her.