PDA

View Full Version : Question for the computer techs...

Dutchmalmiss
02-20-2007, 10:52 PM
Alright I just noticed that not only am I connect to the internet via ethernet cable from a router, but I'm also connected wirelessly through the same router. Question is: Do I get some sort of internet boost with this "double" connection? Or is it a waste and I should stick with wired/wireless? Any help would be awesome, thanks!

95Blue240sx
02-21-2007, 12:34 AM
I dont think you are utilizing both connections. I thought that if you have two connection there might be an IP conflict. I am not entirely sure though.

StaticX27
02-21-2007, 12:36 AM
No internet boost, if anything it's slower than normal (barely noticable).

Helghast
02-21-2007, 12:56 AM
No.

I'd say get rid of the wireless . . and stick to the Cable.
but if you have a lappy tappy . . then obviously the other.

ManoNegra
02-21-2007, 10:38 AM
wireless connections for the most part tend to be slower than ethernet cable - signal bouncing around objects. PC can't use both of them at the same time anyways so just turn off one.

SeattleSR20
02-21-2007, 12:00 PM
^^ Exactly, the wired connection is typically at 100Mbps, while the wireless is at 54Mbps, and that's with a strong signal. Just disable the wrieless connection while you're connected with the ethernet cable, and turn it on when you're not connected (if you have a laptop). There is no benefit to having both enabled, and it will most likely cause you additional problems, the wired ethernet connection is your best bet if your computer stays put.

cmcdougle
02-21-2007, 04:49 PM
Think of it like a pipe. The cable internet is one size (whatever you pay for), or one inch. Then you have your router connector, and it splits off to two pipes: the wireless is 54mbps, or two inch; the wired is 100mbps, or four inch.

The only way it would make a boost (assuming PC could utilize both, which it can't), is if you had another computer that was connected to the router, and you were sharing files with it.

Make sense?

ManoNegra
02-21-2007, 04:53 PM
100mbps is optimal connections and typically within a LAN. Most broadband providers cap the bandwith to ~6mbps download and ~512kbps upload which is still pretty fast.

mjjstang
02-21-2007, 11:56 PM
yah you will NEVER EVER see the benefits of the full 100mbps or even the 10mbps (unless filesharing within networks), wireless is not necessarily slower for internet, however its very unreliable. I sometimes lose connections, and get really slow periods, and my wireless router is 3 feet from laptop.