PDA

View Full Version : Problem with SR, bad idle and stalls

1eightySX
02-20-2007, 12:21 PM
I have a 1991 180sx with the redtop SR20DET. I am having problems with the idle. it seems that when i let my car sit while running the idle will drop and this causes the car to shake. Eventually it will stall but first it seems to correct itself. Also, once I start driving it boggs a bit then accelerates. I find that it decelerates very quickly while driving as if it is about to stall.

I have changed my maf, and my fuel filter. I live in a fairly cold climate and has recently started warming up outside so now my car is running a closer to usal running tempurature. I will be taking it to a shop, but i would like to at least have an idea of what they should be looking at. I should note that when it was really cold out by belt would squeal, so i am not ruling out my altenator.

GSXRJJordan
02-20-2007, 12:26 PM
How are your vacuum connections? Sounds like a vacuum problem, doubt it's an alternator problem, usually the squeaky belt is just because that belt has been sitting in a Japanese junkyard forever.

Canaduh
02-20-2007, 12:27 PM
Vacuum. Where abouts do you live in canada?

1eightySX
02-20-2007, 01:12 PM
I am in Regina Saskatchewan, (you realize I have now left myself open for a slew of insults)

1eightySX
02-26-2007, 04:55 PM
Just to follow up. I took my car in and it turns out the fuel pump is cutting in and out. So I have ordered a walbro pump and it is on its way. Also, the alt. belt did need to be tightened, although that is not the source of the problem. Thanks for the help.