PDA

View Full Version : Common misconceptions as a kid

ALTRNTV
02-11-2007, 11:30 PM
I used to think that when the gas price said $x.xx, I thought that was how much it was to fill the whole tank. I always questioned my parents why they always search for the cheaper place. I always wondered because it was only a difference of pennies. :keke:

When I saw the signs on the freeway such as "$1000 fine for littering," I read it as "$1000, fine, for littering," and not fine as a noun. :fawk:

I have alot more, but I just can't think of any right now.

mRclARK1
02-11-2007, 11:33 PM
I always thought "Don't drink and drive" meant just that literally... no drinking anything.

I always told everyone my dad drove while drinking... when all he drank was Coca-Cola or water. haha

Orly? Yarly.
02-11-2007, 11:37 PM
I thought cars would be cheap.

Bastards.

airsoft
02-11-2007, 11:37 PM
i always thought...

Ped Xing
or RR Xing

or anything with X ing

was just "Xing"

until i later figured... it was Crossing

that wasn't until i was 21 think either....

SochBAT
02-11-2007, 11:38 PM
I thought ice cream was free from the icecream truck, so i got a buncha pushpops, cuz Dino was the best, and ran to share. Bastard caught me, but got robbed doing so.

Pops paid the guy 5.00 for the ice cream, and i got a good beating. I got beat alot as a kid. Like i was born to be a pushpin of pain.

My two worst enemies.

http://www.applianceblog.com/archives/ApplianceCord3326.jpg
http://www.mooremilitaria.com/brass%20belt.JPG

aznpoopy
02-12-2007, 12:34 AM
I always thought "Don't drink and drive" meant just that literally... no drinking anything.

I always told everyone my dad drove while drinking... when all he drank was Coca-Cola or water. haha

lmao!

i did the exact same thing. the memory is a bit fuzzy now, but i remember being in the car with alot of family members. my dad busted out a soda and started sipping on it when i yelled at him to not drink and drive. everyone in the car started laughing hysterically but i couldn't figure out why.

reaxion
02-12-2007, 01:06 AM
growing up I thought the signs on the tollways were meant for the type of vehicle you had, not how you were paying. over here in Illinois it says Automatic and Manual....hahaha...

sw20>>s14
02-12-2007, 02:07 AM
when i was a lot younger, i thought the cars on the car lot with the big 'XX on the windshields as years were actually the price...so i asked my mom if i could get a bimmer for '90 bucks...she just grinned and pinched me, but i was wondering where my freakin' e30 was...

Xing thing got me bad too...

i used to think there was a special switch that i didnt know about for the intermittent wipers so i would stare at my dad driving in the rain trying to figure out how he was controlling it so perfectly...

used to think the B13 sentra was the shit...(however, i still have much respect for them in motorsports/road racing to this day)

thats all i can think of now so not a misconception, but i used to read the phonebook for fun...lol, i was a weird little bugger...damn, i wish i could be a kid again...

mrmephistopheles
02-12-2007, 02:39 AM
When i was about 6-7 I couldn't figure out why the shows that were on when I turned the TV off weren't there when I turned it back on. :confused:

illvialuver
02-12-2007, 02:56 AM
ok there are signs on the freeway that say " liter removal 2 miles"
I thought this ment that for the next two miles you could throw out your liter. i know i was a retard.
and i always was confused when a store like 711 that was open 24 hours a day 365 days a year woudl need locks on there doors.

miucus
02-12-2007, 02:59 AM
i thought "low fat" meant it had no fat.

projekt_s13
02-12-2007, 03:31 AM
i always thought the Merge left signs said "Marge left" I couldnt figure out why they would need to announce that someone left, especially on the Freeway. I used to think Dr. Pepper was made by a doctor. I also used to wonder what paste tasted like but i was too scared to try it. Oh and when I rented a game i thought I bought it, and I hated that I would always lose the game a week later. haha i have some more but im too sleepy to remember.

SochBAT
02-12-2007, 03:33 AM
I used to clean my dad's car, and wash it n stuff.

I always sprayed water into the exhaust.

I know, what a noobish thing to do.

7 years old genius!

S13SilviaGirl
02-12-2007, 04:09 AM
My dad drove trucks for a living, he'd get on the CB and say

"watch out for the bears, they're all over"

I would sit up in the pass seat and look all over trying to find these damn bears...only to get pissed when I couldnt find them.

He thought this was hillarious and never told me the truth until I was like 11....jerk.

Agamemnon
02-12-2007, 01:13 PM
When I was young, I would see road signs with bears, deers, and cows on them and wondered how people knew that is where animals crossed.

I also that "fat free" meant you got some sort discount or bargain because is said fat was free.

jrmiller84
02-12-2007, 01:24 PM
I used to think the world was black and white a long time, that color was an invention because old television shows were in black and white. :loco:

mRclARK1
02-12-2007, 01:35 PM
I remember once (I was about 4 or 5) I heard my parents talking about the increased cost of living... so I started saving all my pennies so I could afford to live; as in NOT DIE. haha.

Farzam
02-12-2007, 01:37 PM
My parents said shet instead of shit...that was a doozie.

I never EVER saw a Latino until I was 11 and moved to North Carolina... O.o I was suprised. Hell, I only saw 1 black family until that point too. Friggin Rhode Island.

I thought if I drew a cool enough car and shit that I could mail it to Porsche and they'd make it. But I never mailed one.

I thought when you kissed you just made the noise.

Farzam
02-12-2007, 01:37 PM
Great idea for a thread btw.

Munch
02-12-2007, 01:38 PM
For a long time, i was totally convinced that fighter jets took off straight up, like a rocket. noooo idea where that came from.

I also thought that the passenger side mirror was some sort of crazy display, not just a mirror. I read 'objects in mirror are closer then they appear' and i thought if they got close they would like, appear in the mirror and give u information about whatever was there. I also didnt know how to pronounce mirror, i would say 'my-roar'

I didnt understand the meaning of 'thru traffic merge left' until sometime last year.

JSpecBnr32
02-12-2007, 02:14 PM
LOL

msglentht

MELLO*SOS
02-12-2007, 02:32 PM
I always thought the signs that said "NO DUMPING" meant they didn't want you going out past the sign and taking a shiat

exitspeed
02-12-2007, 02:37 PM
When I first learned about the birds and the bees but didn't have all the facts on my guy parts or realized what they were used for, I thought this so called "sperm" came from your mouth. This intern meant you could have a baby by kissing a girl.

infinitexsound
02-12-2007, 02:42 PM
i use to think the word veteran and veterinary was the same shit, and the only reason kids get needles shoved up their veins was so they could talk... i was a shy kid and 5 at the time...

Ca_laurier
02-12-2007, 02:49 PM
on tv ad's where they said that tv's were $999 i always thought they ment $9.99 and i always wanted to but the biggest tv compared to everyone

BC240
02-12-2007, 02:51 PM
When I first learned about the birds and the bees but didn't have all the facts on my guy parts or realized what they were used for, I thought this so called "sperm" came from your mouth. This intern meant you could have a baby by kissing a girl.

Just make sure you're careful, vaginas have teeth! they will eat your PP

JDMark
02-12-2007, 03:05 PM
my dad bought a new audi (mid 80s) and tricked me into thinking it drove on its own by driving with his knees, i was CONVINCED. Thing is he never told me the truth, i thought cars could drive themselves until i was like 10... lol

kensreliableb18b
02-12-2007, 03:23 PM
i use to pronounce the word virginia, "vagina"

so whenever i saw a virginia slim billboard, i'd yell out, "vagina slims!" and start laughing uncontrollably. yea i was perv kid.

someone mentioned school crossing and school 'x'-ing. i had the same problem.

tacotacotaco
02-12-2007, 03:34 PM
I thought a traffic ticket was a ticket to disneyland.

My mom said that i couldnt put my cammies in the washer until it was the same color. I never did see camouflage bubble water

Irukandji
02-12-2007, 03:42 PM
I thought the Volvo V70's had 70 cylinders.

2ilvia
02-12-2007, 04:24 PM
i used to think the motor in cars quit running when they stood still. until a few years ago... found out what ped xing was about the same time

A Spec Products
02-12-2007, 07:22 PM
I thought that being an adult was the coolest thing in the world.

Oh, and I also believed in true love.

Hahahahaha

Sniff.

mRclARK1
02-12-2007, 08:02 PM
I thought that being an adult was the coolest thing in the world.

Oh, and I also believed in true love.

:rofl: :rofl: ........ :hs: :-/ :wtc: :cry: (sigh)

ThatGuy
02-12-2007, 08:09 PM
I thought Trains were faster than Airplanes.

About 1/4 mile behind the house where I grew up were AmTrak railway lines and the runway of Harrisburg International Airport (open field between my back yard and them). On final approach, an airplane's speed is greatly reduced from the speed at which it "cruises". Meanwhile the train tracks in my area were a long straight away, meaning trains could zip through at full tilt. Many times I could look out my back door and see fast moving trains passing slow moving planes in the distance. Silly me.

Kahl
02-12-2007, 08:10 PM
My mates mum told him that when the ice-cream truck played the music (you know the little jingle they play) it meant all the ice cream was gone.
Poor kid.

breakindrifts
02-12-2007, 08:15 PM
I didn't know FWD cars existed till I was like 11 or something.

SochBAT
02-12-2007, 08:57 PM
I used to think that when you got in trouble at school, and got suspended, you got sent to outer space, and be actually suspended in air.

I tried it, and got a goood week at home, cleaning shit instead. What a let down.

+10 for Logan's TrueLove/Being Adults.

Another big let down.

s13gold
02-12-2007, 08:58 PM
XXX....i just thought it meant....crossing crossing crossing adults.

sw20>>s14
02-13-2007, 02:54 AM
on the flipside of logans, i use to think being a kid sucked...boy was i wrongerooni...

breakindrifts
02-13-2007, 04:10 AM
Wow wtf is with people giving me bad rep recently.
I post:
I didn't know FWD cars existed till I was like 11 or something.

I receive this rep:
"that doesnt make you cool, stop lying to urself. stfu"

Who the fuck was this? Lurkers giving me bad rep. :rofl: