PDA

View Full Version : caliper removal

eerrrrr
02-11-2007, 11:03 PM
ive read some stuff about removing calipers, but what technique do you guys use? my fucken wheel fly off today at 5mph and i need to replace the studs. tried to take off the calipers, but those got damn 2 bolts a bitch to get loose. used like 1/4 of liquid wrench with a combo of kicking, pulling, pushing. i have no other idea of how to get it loose. i guess i just suck at taking stuff apart. so how did u remove the calipers?

Dousan_PG
02-11-2007, 11:08 PM
remove the two bolts
if u cant do it
paya shop
ive done it on at least 8 different 240sx w/ no problems at all. from 89-97 m models

smurfgcr
02-11-2007, 11:09 PM
make sure you dont have your e brake on.

91rps13
02-11-2007, 11:09 PM
use a long metal tube on the end of the wrench man...pop and done!!

gotta240
02-11-2007, 11:11 PM
you obviously aren't strong enough...let your mind do the work and do as above.

QUALITY WRENCH(that won't break) and a "cheater bar"... Oh yea, going the correct way helps too. And make sure you tighten those bitches good or to specs when replacing... Dont want the caliper to fall off.

redsuns3838
02-11-2007, 11:12 PM
which 2 bolts are you talking about? just use a breaker bar or go buy an electric impact gun.

drift freaq
02-11-2007, 11:13 PM
ive read some stuff about removing calipers, but what technique do you guys use? my fucken wheel fly off today at 5mph and i need to replace the studs. tried to take off the calipers, but those got damn 2 bolts a bitch to get loose. used like 1/4 of liquid wrench with a combo of kicking, pulling, pushing. i have no other idea of how to get it loose. i guess i just suck at taking stuff apart. so how did u remove the calipers?
You need to get either a impact gun on the bolts, or a decent breaker bar,to increase the leverage on your socket and the bolt to break it loose.

hahaha damn this is funny a bunch of us fired off the same answer all within minutes of each other.

smurfgcr
02-11-2007, 11:14 PM
oh and if you dont have room for the cheater bar, just hit the wrench with a BFH

OptionZero
02-11-2007, 11:29 PM
i suspect he's having trouble because he can't get a big enough breaker into the wheel well

turn the wheel all the way to one direction
with the caliper then angled outwards you can get a long breaker and have room to work with

rears are tougher, attack it from below after you jack the car up, you should be able to get enough torque to break it

if u still can't, take it to a shop

Orly? Yarly.
02-11-2007, 11:50 PM
Penetrating oil from the bolt head side won't help, make sure to spray it on the thread side.

zugoi
02-11-2007, 11:53 PM
This is just funny. Hes not asking how to remove a caliper but hes asking how to remove a bolt.

1Via!
02-12-2007, 12:09 AM
Breaker bar or mini-sledge + wrench.

With a breaker bar + a pipe you should be able to get a couple hundred pounds of pressure if you position everything right. That will be more than enough to get anything off, or at least break it.

Ragnarok043
02-12-2007, 12:15 AM
in situations like this where its difficult to get leverage, i just position the wrench under a floor jack and slowly jack it up, using the weight of the car to break the bolt loose

aznpoopy
02-12-2007, 12:31 AM
in situations like this where its difficult to get leverage, i just position the wrench under a floor jack and slowly jack it up, using the weight of the car to break the bolt loose

that is a great trick. i've used that before as well.

sometimes i get down on the ground and just kick it loose with my legs
legs > asian arms

Ca_laurier
02-12-2007, 12:52 AM
breaker bars are your friend bud. better than trying to hulk it

reaxion
02-12-2007, 01:03 AM
I love my breaker bar...but I think I love my cheater bar even more.

SiI40sx
02-12-2007, 04:12 AM
I have a very big feeling he's pulling the wrong way, you remember righty tighty lefty loosey right?? Think of it as turning on your shower buddy

Dream240
02-12-2007, 07:16 AM
I have a very big feeling he's pulling the wrong way, you remember righty tighty lefty loosey right?? Think of it as turning on your shower buddy

Yeah I bet he's turning lefty but it's actually reversed since the bolts are going into the back of the caliper......

So you should be trying to turn the bolts clockwise (right) if your facing the wheel well..... counter-clockwise (left) if you're looking at the bolt heads.

You can also use two wrenchs method....works for me everytime. Hook the closed end of one wrench onto the open end of the wrnch that's attached to the bolt, and push.

eerrrrr
02-12-2007, 08:06 AM
got it.........................

mrmephistopheles
02-12-2007, 08:18 AM
Hit the gym, dude.

Srsly though use the recommendations above or hit your wrench with a hammer.
There's no reason you shouldn't be able to break them free (unless you're 72lbs and suffer from Parkinson's).

J300zx
02-12-2007, 08:50 AM
I have broken the caliper mounting bolt before using a breaker bar. It was rusted/corroded together. Other side used an impact gun. Came off like a charm.

Wut u trying to do? change pads/ or (300zx)brake upgrade swap?

eerrrrr
02-12-2007, 06:21 PM
got it...............................

koukimonster139
02-12-2007, 06:30 PM
spray it with pb blaster like every hour for a day. let it sit for a while after that then go at it with either an impact, or use a BFH on a normal wrench. should come right off

Phlip
02-12-2007, 07:43 PM
Breaker Bar FTW, I bought a couple feet of 1.75" exhaust tubing from Pep Boys for the task of breaking loose 17 year-old bolts that decided to be bitchy about coming off.

usdm180sx
02-12-2007, 08:16 PM
I just did it today on my car. Spray on some PB blaster (like mentioned earlier), use a 1/2" drive ratchet (because it fits inside the wheel well) and pound that shiet counterclockwise (from the driveshaft facing outwards) with another breaker bar and it should come loose.

SochBAT
02-12-2007, 08:19 PM
Imma agree with Meph, and say work out.

Caliper bolts aren't that hard to remove.

OptionZero has it best, turn the wheel facing outward, really long breaker bar.

Jesses240
02-12-2007, 08:22 PM
If you raise the car please do everyone a favor (mostly yourself) and get reliable good quality jackstands under it... nothing like having a 2500 pound car fall on your leg when your kicking a wrench, and miss and hit the crappy jackstand or jack handle...

Everyone already answered the question so i wont say the same thing for the 30th time

s13gold
02-12-2007, 08:24 PM
face the wheel outward and use the bar from the jack and put that inside your wrench for leverage.

infinitexsound
02-12-2007, 08:27 PM
Dont listen to what these guys have to offer i have a better solution, get someone with a bigger brain! and have them get the tools and do it...for u...since u lack it. u only need to get the piston caliper off to replace the pads... and ur trying to replace the caliper as a whole, u only need to get 2 main bolts and a brake line.. that uses a spacial 10mm wrench i believe.. dont use any pneumatic tools, because someone with ur brains would end up stripping the bolts.. use reg hand tools and a extra long pipe to help with leverage... might help if ur kinda FAT.. u can use that weight to your advantage if u decide to do the human impact method by slamming ur belly on the pipe once your all hooked up...

swayray
02-12-2007, 08:28 PM
righty tighty...lefty loosie...

eerrrrr
02-13-2007, 09:58 AM
got it. im sorry if i have failed u (the ppl really really passionate about how easy this was). but what may seem easy to u, was not so easy for me. turning the wheel helped a grip for leverage. but yeah to that dude that wrote in red. im taking out the whole caliper to change out studs. if u read my first post u wouldve known that my wheel flew off cuz my studs. but thanks for all the answers. bless everyones heart and have a good day, because i am. i will be driving again. just need to find a new fender.

ltsPureLuck
08-01-2007, 11:31 PM
Reviving an old thread. but I'm having the same problems. On my S13 I've taken out the 14mm easy but the 2 other bolts are difficult. On forum guides they are 17mm but mine are 19mm. I've done PB blasting, putting weight on the wrench, hammering the wrench but it wont budge, no room for a breaker bar. Anyone have any tips?

Ragnarok043
08-02-2007, 12:20 AM
Reviving an old thread. but I'm having the same problems. On my S13 I've taken out the 14mm easy but the 2 other bolts are difficult. On forum guides they are 17mm but mine are 19mm. I've done PB blasting, putting weight on the wrench, hammering the wrench but it wont budge, no room for a breaker bar. Anyone have any tips?

it worked great when i had to loosen the 26mm axle nut to change the axle.

Dream240
08-02-2007, 07:39 AM

If you turn the wheel so that the brake caliper is pointed away from the car, you will have enough room to get a breaker bar in there. Just use the two wrenches technique.

Put the closed end on the bolt (19mm???) and then hook the second wrench's closed end onto the 1st wrench's open end so that you form one long wrench. Do it in a way so that it works for loosening a bolt (lefty loosey)

Another important tip, when you're trying to break a bolt loose ALWAYS keep your arm straight, elbow locked. That way you are using you're shoulder/back rather than just your bicep/forearm. Trust me works everytime.

These are tried and true methods for non-impact workshops. I've been using them for years.

GL