PDA

View Full Version : Juan Pablo Montoya and NASCAR

Gnnr
02-11-2007, 10:14 PM
Expectations rise for Juan Pablo Montoya after Rolex 24 win

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) - When Juan Pablo Montoya grabbed his first major victory since fleeing Formula One, it solidified just what a special talent the Colombian is.

But the win Sunday by his Chip Ganassi Racing team in the Rolex 24 at Daytona - the most prestigious sports car event in North America - also raised questions about what reasonable expectations there should be on Montoya during his first full season in NASCAR.

Maybe he won't struggle nearly as much as everyone expects.

Perhaps the switch to stock cars will be fairly seamless.

And maybe, just maybe, Montoya will be pretty darned good.

Slow down just a little bit, car owner Chip Ganassi warned Monday, and don't start engraving Montoya's name on the Nextel Cup trophy just yet.

"In terms of his stock-car career, we are still in the bottom of the second inning," Ganassi said. "That's just being realistic of where we are at."

Give Ganassi credit for refusing to get sucked into the Montoya hype, which was ratcheted up after the Rolex win tied Montoya with Mario Andretti as the only drivers to win the Indianapolis 500, a CART title, a Formula One race and the Daytona sports car endurance event.

And as the racing world debated just what this victory actually proves, Ganassi matter-of-factly rebuked any notion that it will translate into a blazing start to the NASCAR season.

"This was a big win, no doubt, a huge feather in his cap," Ganassi said. "And maybe this shows that he's a fast learner. But I really don't think there's much of a connection between the Rolex and Cup. He's still learning a new craft and he's still got a long way to go."

That tempering of expectations has been limited to the Ganassi camp in the six months since Montoya made the radical decision to leave F1 for NASCAR, which is widely ridiculed in the European racing circles that made Montoya both rich and famous.

After all, going round and round in circles can't really be that difficult, right? At least that's the attitude seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher took when asked about Montoya's move.

"Personally, I wouldn't do it," Schumacher told the New York Times. "What do you do in NASCAR? What is exciting there? I can't see that, running around on ovals."

If it's as easy as Schumacher believes, then Montoya should be an instant success. But Montoya has tried to put the brakes on that notion.

"People don't understand what a big challenge this style of racing is," he said. "It's not an easy transition."

No, it isn't. Which is why anyone who truly understands racing realizes that Montoya will have his ups and downs in NASCAR, and winning a road course event at Daytona will have little carryover into the season-opening Daytona 500.

To be successful in the 500, Montoya will have to master the intricacies of restrictor-plate racing, understand the draft and learn the dangerous art of bump-drafting - something only a handful of NASCAR drivers are truly adept at.

Assuming he can figure all of that out, Montoya still must convince his fellow competitors that he has not only grasped it, but that he won't screw it up over the 500-mile event. If he can't do that, and no other driver trusts him enough to work with him on the track, then Montoya won't stand a chance at Daytona.

Jeff Gordon, a three-time Daytona 500 winner, smartly tried to gauge Montoya's skill during pre-season practice there earlier this month. Although he thinks Montoya understands it, Gordon said the verdict will be out until Speedweeks.

"Until you get out there with a group of cars and you get into those races, and I don't care how much you've raced around the world or how talented you are, drafting takes experience and laps," Gordon said. "But I think of any guy who is going to come into this sport and pick it up fast and do it well, I think Juan is at the top of the list."

So, yes, Montoya's stock-car skills are still widely untested. But his Rolex win proved that it's unfair to dismiss him before he's even had a chance to go bumper-to-bumper with NASCAR's stars.

After all, this is a guy who within the past few days cemented his name alongside Andretti's in the history books. And if he can put together a solid NASCAR career, Montoya must be considered one of the greatest drivers of all time because, frankly, stock-car success is the only thing missing from his resume.

Of course, there will always be NASCAR insiders who don't recognize or understand what Montoya has accomplished throughout his career. And there will always be open-wheel purists who will refuse to acknowledge anything he does in a stock car.

But he's so far proven to be unafraid of this new challenge, and has seemingly been rejuvenated to be in a series where the racing is more important than the politics - which often hinder F1.

"It's great to have any kind of win in the first race of the year," Ganassi said. "What people forget is this sport is still about momentum, and winning does tremendous things for that. So for him to have the momentum of a win like that is hugely positive, and we hope translates into positive things."

Now, I don't know about you guys, but Juan Pablo Montoya's entrance into NASCAR has got me a little more interested in the sport. I may actually sit down and watch a few races. Hehe. Of course theres no comparison to F1, but JPM's answer at the recent jabs Michael Schumacher have allowed me to see that it isn't really as easy as it seems. More notable info, "Montoya posted a lap of 185.338 m.p.h. Sunday, good for fourth in the time trials portion of Daytona qualifying. That gives him a front-row starting spot for one of Thursday's two 150-mile qualifying races that will help set the field for next Sunday's 500." So I think I'll give the Daytona 500 a look next weekend.

Your thoughts?

Taniguchi_Is_#1
02-11-2007, 10:30 PM
JPM's already done ovals in his CART days. if he can acclimate himself to stock cars, it'll only be a matter of time before he can start competing for race wins. i dunno, i'd have been excited for nascar if jacques villeneuve would have signed, too. oh well.

unwed_transient
02-11-2007, 11:14 PM
"i'm coming for you ricky bobby" (in spanish accent)

still not going to watch nascar.

BOROSUN
02-12-2007, 02:34 AM
it was more like "rick boobie" in french. lol

shake n' bake yeehaw!

illvialuver
02-12-2007, 02:59 AM
yeah it was french, and nascar was only cool for like a nano second when orido drove. but its still gay. i dont care how fast they drive in a circle.

EchoOfSilence
02-12-2007, 03:13 AM
i think he shouldn't have gotten into nascar...

mind you, ok... driving at 18xmph and making long turns while trying to pass people may be crazym but it's just not the same...
JPM should be driving somewhere else

bamaboy
02-12-2007, 08:23 AM
I think JPM will bring a new light to the sport. I hope he adapts to the old technology and is able to communicate with his crew so that he is among the elite this year. Nobody doubts his ability, but this is so different from pen wheeled racing. I wish more people were open minded to Nascar. This is the most fan friendly sport. Raceday at any Nascar track is so much fun. The sponsors have huge attractions at the tracks, most of the drivers are available at some point during thr weekend for autographs, getting into the pits is expensive but anyone who ponies up the cash can get there.
I have only been a fan for about 6-7 years now but I have been to probably 50 races and each one has something different...even if it is at the same track. I know some people aren't going to give it a chance.....but it's like baseball...sucks on TV but fun as hell at the ballpark.

S13 Charlie
02-12-2007, 10:41 AM
I am really excited to see JPM in NASCAR, and I don't think it'll be very long until he logs his first win. I enjoy watching a lot of racing - NHRA, F1, NASCAR, GT, Rally (if it's ever on anymore, damn speed channel..) - and for the most part, NASCAR is more exciting throughout the race than Formula 1. Don't get me wrong, I love the technology and skill level of F1 drivers, but the money factor separates the field so much that most races are over after turn 3. NASCAR, despite clinging onto 1950's technology, offers close racing, and exciting finishes, and who doesn't like a healthy dose of burnouts and donuts after race wins?

Two items that definitely help make NASCAR-watching more enjoyable: 1) beer, and lots of it 2) picking a driver to follow throughout the race/season. I'm definitely going to check out the Daytona 500 next weekend, hopefully my girlfriend lets me watch at least a little of it.. heh.

infinitexsound
02-12-2007, 03:04 PM
nascar was always exciting to watch but, it really didnt catch my eye till the new car of tomorrow was developed... and toyota came into the series...

a f1 driver isnt just the new thing nascar has to offer, toyota has come in to the busch series with somewhat of a open check book... since they have already conquered the truck series.... let alone most of their trucks... in the corr racing series are up on top with points.... i think their plan is just to conquer the US racing series.. then gain intrest in viewers and buyers... SALES! is the big view and thats just more $$$ for them....

if u really wanna know whats up check out the new honda engine theyre running in the irl... 3.5 w/ ethanol.....