PDA

View Full Version : TIG welding

Jonnie Fraz
02-10-2007, 02:38 PM
Getting set up for TIG welding, hopefully this week. Have been practicing at work, and I am getting to be pretty good. Now I have to set up my home shop for TIG to keep building my brackets, and hopefully going forward with some of my other designs. I will be posting up pics soon of my new TIG welded brackets.

Team Rootbeer
02-10-2007, 05:49 PM
?ok?

what kind of brackets are you making?

have fun, TIG is great. but be warned, after using it for a while, you will NEVER want to use a mig again.

ThatGuy
02-10-2007, 06:49 PM
Johnnie Fraz makes awesome Silvia bumper brackets. High quality stuff. Search his Threads, you'll see them.

Jonnie Fraz
02-10-2007, 08:30 PM
Johnnie Fraz makes awesome Silvia bumper brackets. High quality stuff. Search his Threads, you'll see them.
Thanks...I still would like you to send me some pics of them installed.
I am trying to make a little better welds...TIG can be a little more forgiving sometimes...I have destoyed a couple of brackets with the mig...Cost of doing bussiness.
what kind of brackets are you making?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/Fraz-Man-One/Finished-proto.jpg

NemeGuero
02-10-2007, 09:17 PM
Damn those look 10X more baller than the prototype I remember seeing.

Wykydtron
02-11-2007, 04:07 AM
I love tig, use to hang out in the pile of scrap metal looking for pieces to practice on. <3 I miss high school

ThatGuy
02-11-2007, 07:00 AM
Thanks...I still would like you to send me some pics of them installed.

I'll see what I can do. Working on my 5-lug swap right now. When that's done I know I'll be taking new pics. I'll make sure to get some shots of the brackets.

SochBAT
02-11-2007, 03:00 PM
Damn those look 10X more baller than the prototype I remember seeing.

I'd multiply that by another 100.

really nice work, looks straight up OEM.

+1 for Frazzy.

pics of your setup?

NemeGuero
02-11-2007, 04:45 PM
Well the original mock-up was pretty good too..

s13gold
02-11-2007, 05:08 PM
nicce work...

infinitexsound
02-12-2007, 10:22 PM
what he did was have a program setup for a milling machine... and have the parts made from what ever size sheet metal.... press in what ever inserts... mock it up, tack here tack there... and weld... biggest problem would be coming up with the program..... for the mill =)~ since hes taken the brains... using ur trusty caliper and intelligence hes gotten over the poindexter part... good job bro.... PS thats one hell of a bend on the bracket... multiple bends... was that a pain in the ass to setup each time?

Jonnie Fraz
02-12-2007, 10:48 PM
what he did was have a program setup for a milling machine... and have the parts made from what ever size sheet metal.... press in what ever inserts... mock it up, tack here tack there... and weld... biggest problem would be coming up with the program..... for the mill =)~ since hes taken the brains... using ur trusty caliper and intelligence hes gotten over the poindexter part... good job bro.... PS thats one hell of a bend on the bracket... multiple bends... was that a pain in the ass to setup each time?

Close...the parts are actually laser cut. I have done enough of these that the bends are easy now. I built a press brake to bend them perfect each time.
Thanks
Jonnie