PDA

View Full Version : Breakers & Beatmakers input wanted....

midnight zenki
02-07-2007, 03:52 PM
So I was lisetining to my mp3 player and Crystal Method popped up and It made me think of the Chemical Brothers video for Star Guitar from an A/V standpoint http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_JD9ncoOE8

Since I dabble in Fruity Loops I was curious how many Zilvian's enjoy this genre or the audio-visual production aspect or have good examples of quality production like Star Guitar. Since trip-hop/breaks is some of my favorite music:bigok: I thought that there had to be some other fellow Zilvians dig this shit too .

ManoNegra
02-07-2007, 04:23 PM
Michel Gondry is a great director. I'd recommend checking out all of the Director's Label DVD Series (Gondry, Spike Jonze, Mark Romanek, etc). Res magazine is also a great source for awsome music vids.

Chemical Brothers - Let Forever Be (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iittQJPH6dw)

Daft Punk - Around The World (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMpsnDxNbqQ)

are my two favorite Gondry vids.

SimpleSexy180
02-07-2007, 04:36 PM
so when is the session?

HalveBlue
02-07-2007, 04:54 PM
Big Beat is (was) great. Unfortunately, most of the Big Beat artists seem to have either disappeared or are experimenting with different musical forms.

ManoNegra
02-07-2007, 05:39 PM
LCD Soundsystem is somewhat new
Prodigy has an album not too long ago that was dope
Crystal Method has been constantly putting good stuff out... etc, etc.

I don't know. I think that yeah the 'big beat' sound has changed a bit but most of the groups associated with the genre are still putting out good music. I think it's not novel anymore so it doesn't get the coverage that it did in the late 90s. Besides, things would be dull if they kept repeating the same thing over and over.

midnight zenki
02-07-2007, 06:34 PM
so when is the session?

Not sure exactly what you meant by this but if its what I think it is I got that covered twice over already:boink: :boink:

Thanks Mano, I will check into the artists you listed. Also does anyone know a place to host or link to music files so I could share some of my beats and get feedback?

ALTRNTV
02-07-2007, 06:38 PM
Make a Myspace Music Page. No joke, that gets alot of exposure.

midnight zenki
02-07-2007, 06:57 PM
I've been thinking about it, for me it may take a little time and also gathering the courage to publicly expose my creations but once its done Ill revisit this and post it.

If anyone has their own music to share I think this would be a good place to expose it. I am always curious to hear other people interpetation's of this kind of music.

ALTRNTV
02-07-2007, 07:04 PM
Don't worry about the public. You'll get criticism, that's a given, but creative criticism will help out alot.

I have a Myspace Music page for my music (r&b), but still waiting for final touches. :)

midnight zenki
02-07-2007, 07:57 PM
Nice I'd like to check that out Akademik, keep me posted on the situation.

Phlip
02-07-2007, 08:18 PM
And for what it is is worth, if you're using FL Studio (some still call it Fruity Loops) you'll have a slightly harder time making Drum & Bass-type music, compared to using something with a little more behind it, like CakeWalk's "Sonar" products, or Propellerhead's "Reason."
Me? I am hip hop, so I can start in FL Studio for the ease of the drums and a nicely working arpeggiator for "effects" and basslines, then add shit on when I take it into one of Sony's SoundForge or Acid.

Computers make this shit SO easy

TiNMAN
02-07-2007, 08:59 PM
^^yep. anyone wanna buy a 32mb mpc2000xl? internal zip drive

King 240
02-08-2007, 02:24 AM
Man, I haven't heard Star Gutair in a few years. I believe it one of the first songs I downloaded when I started building my music database.

I used to play with Fruity Loops and Virtual DJ years ago.
I'm now trying to work on making beats for rap material. Dont worry I'll rep Zilvia in a flow,lol. And I'll keep the 240, its just be the sickest ever,lol.

ManoNegra
02-08-2007, 09:13 AM
Im my humble opinion The Chemical Brothers' 'Surrender' is perhaps the best representative of the genre. I had to listen to everything they've done after that. Much props to the guys making their own music.

midnight zenki
02-08-2007, 01:19 PM
You speak the truth regarding the hip-hop production using FL Phlip, just like the intro of the MURS/9th wonder CD. Hip-hop is easy for me to lay out as far as the basic elements, but the simplicity of the beats still eludes me. I tend to overwhelm tracks with different elements but am slowly steering away from that.

kleenS14
02-08-2007, 09:23 PM
tangent----The star guitar music video is absolutely ridiculous. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRr41l26F70