PDA

View Full Version : What's your take on this mechanics verdict?

jrmiller84
02-07-2007, 12:36 PM
So recently I purchased a 2002 Ford Taurus for $1000 from my work. We're being bought out so everything is being sold for crazy cheap. The car is in great condition and I bought it because I knew I could sell it for around $4000.

The only two problems the car had was that it had been sitting for a few months and wouldn't start. After I figured out it was fouled spark plugs I replaced them and it started right up but it ran a little rough for the first 3-5 minutes.

Knowing I was going to just sell it I took it to a shop for them to do a diagnostic and they said the "cam syncro" needed replacement. I'm not entirely sure what a cam syncro is, I assumed it was the cam position sensor but maybe not. So I got him to replace that and as soon as I left the shop, the check engine light came on. I immediately took it back to them.

Six visits later, it was still coming on. Every single time I left the shop, within a mile, it would come back on. So I took it back for the last time and now they're saying the ECU is fried and it will cost me $600. It seems like this is their last resort, but maybe it's just mechanic stigma.

They said that when the syncro died it must have fried the ECU. But that doesn't add up to me, it never came on until AFTER they replaced that part. Also, if that's true why is the car running absolutely flawlessly? If the ECU got fried, or even a portion of it, I can't imagine it would run as well as it does. Seriously, the only thing wrong with the car is it needs a good washing. :keke:

So what's everyones take on this? Think they're full of shit or maybe I'm missing something and they're right. I most likely can't sell it with the light on and I'm curious if there is even a problem. I'm worried I'll pay another 600$ and it will just come back on within a mile. I feel like I should just unplug the bulb but I have a horrible conscience.

Damn Fords...

ManoNegra
02-07-2007, 12:44 PM
I would take it to a Ford dealer and have them read the OBDII codes making the check light come on.
What the mechanics are telling you sounds a little fishy to me.
And if you MUST replace the ecu I would look for it at junkyards or places that sell car parts off junked cars.

seekanddestroy
02-07-2007, 01:23 PM
Just go to autozone/parts store and borrow their OBD2 scanner and read the codes..

badboy6686
02-07-2007, 01:24 PM
i would stop by a local autozone/advaced and get them to pull the code in front of you, that way you know the stealership isn't up to their usual.

jrmiller84
02-07-2007, 01:38 PM
Agreed, I most likely will take it to either advance auto parts to get the codes or a family mechanic back home that we trust pretty well. Sadly there aren't any junk yards near Gainesville, at least no good ones that I've heard of. I'm glad everyone agree's then, I had a bad feeling about what he was saying. I looked up the prices for new ECU's as well and he's making like 300$ profit on this thing at his price, and that kind of pissed me off. Do the parts stores pull the codes for free usually?

CylonFrakker
02-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Yes they do pull codes for free. Check to make sure you gas cap is on tight. Had that happen to me.

ManoNegra
02-07-2007, 04:14 PM
Problem with Autozone OBDII scanner is that they aren't as thorough as the ones the dealer uses. Most dealers will scan the car for free.

jrmiller84
02-07-2007, 04:21 PM
Ahhh, ok. That makes sense. I'll see what they can do for me then Mano.

I picked up the car today from the place after telling them I'm not doing it. The secretary showed me a section on wiring in the fsm that they were using and said "this is what it took to find the problem" and thumbed through the 100+ pages trying to make me feel guilty and buy the ECU.

I told her "Oh wow, well thanks a lot." Grabbed the keys and I was out like a boner in sweatpants. :fawkd: I drove it around quite a bit today and it hasn't come back on. We'll see what happens.

s13gold
02-07-2007, 04:51 PM
good luck...if all fails dealership knows whats up.

Kn1ves
02-07-2007, 10:22 PM
pull the bulb then sell the car. problem solved.

corey240
02-07-2007, 11:24 PM
if you need an ecu find it in a junkyard and take a girl with a bigass purse and hope it works when you try it out.