PDA

View Full Version : Japan bound

s14dr1ft3r
02-05-2007, 08:52 PM
Ok, so I'm in the Navy and just got word that this morning I was accepted for orders to Sasebo, Japan. I transfer there in the October time frame. Anyone ever been or currently stationed there? My family and I are excited to go. The only thing I dont like about it is that now I have to sell my s14 soon.

Taniguchi_Is_#1
02-05-2007, 08:57 PM
congrats. don't worry about selling your car; you'll feel much better when you get an s14 silvia k's.

LookOut Nick
02-05-2007, 09:06 PM
Congrats man
msglngth

CKAMC
02-05-2007, 09:09 PM
or when you get a chaser... or a mark 2....or a VEROSSA...crown...cresta... altezza...aristo...

cefiro... laurel... gloria...

and thats just the awsome four door stuff we miss out out here.

yeah s-chassis cars are a dime a dozen out there.

S13SilviaGirl
02-06-2007, 05:58 AM
Sasebo= Not a lot there, hence the AIP...unless you got screwed outta that. There are cars there, a few events ect. Just not near the main cities. What pay grade are you? Are you married? Kids? What is it that you do for the navy? Where exactly are you being stationed/command?

Welcome to the hell that is Japan. Oh and if you are E-4 and below, dont even plan on having a car or overnight liberty for at least 6 months to a year. Kitty Hawk sailors screwed a lot of things up for us. You will find that being Navy out here is like being back in bootcamp for you, with a few extra perks. bout it.

yokotas13
02-06-2007, 06:36 AM
yay Air force

s14dr1ft3r
02-06-2007, 07:08 AM
Yeah, I knew that Sasebo was a little more boring than places like Yokosuka and Okinawa but I applied for 5 sets of orders. Only 1 of those was to Sasebo and thats what they gave me. Fortunately, I'm told that its more of a family environment than Yoko. I am married with 3 kids (newest born on 1/2/07) and I'm and ET2 (E-5 for all you non-navy types) although I'll probably make 1st here very soon. I know that Japan sucks for E-4 and below but luckily I don't fall into that category. The orders said I'll be going to "CFI CFA SASEBO".

Farzam
02-06-2007, 08:12 PM
Have fun, thanks for serving our country.

180sExy
02-06-2007, 08:42 PM
you dont have too sell your s14! you could always leave it in my possesion and I will be happy too take care of her till you return to the good Ol'US!:bigok:
oooh and congrads on the new born!!!:w00t:

alexchanman
02-06-2007, 08:58 PM
sell teh s14 and get a soarer!!!!! those things are what dreams are made of.

nuclearz
02-06-2007, 10:49 PM
7th fleet liberty policy really sucks for e4 and below, sucks for everyone on port calls (0100 for E5 and below, 0200 for EVERYONE, maybe that was just because we were there with the cable)

liv2drift045
02-07-2007, 07:11 AM
yea the policy is pretty weak... i live in yokosuka and im not pcs to a ship (tho i ride the biyatches all too often) but i dont have many complaints... just enjoy yourself when your hear... which i'm sure being a part of the car community you will... and whenever im in "Sas-vegas" i'll be sure to PM ya haha

oh and i second the comment on 4door monsters... talk your wife into gettin a 4 door turbo vehicle... theres no other way hahaha ...then the family car is a potential play toy and you can buy a TRACK daily hahaha and still have a turbo back up car (thats what i did- dont tell the wife haha j/k)

luckyslide16
02-07-2007, 07:47 AM
sell teh s14 and get a soarer!!!!! those things are what dreams are made of.

I would love to have one of those myself!! Good luck with the move man!!

liv2drift045
02-07-2007, 08:24 AM
I would love to have one of those myself!!

i had one and while they are an awesome car, believe me they are not that great... unless you like huge heavy two seaters... the 1j is great and i did like the car... im just saying you have to drive one then make the decision haha

sorry btt

s14dr1ft3r
02-07-2007, 09:41 AM
yeah, I've already looked at some soarers and they are mad cheap over there. Most that I found were auto though...yuck! For the family car I was thinking of a 98-ish STi and then gettin another S14 for my toy.

S13SilviaGirl
02-08-2007, 07:26 AM
yeah, I've already looked at some soarers and they are mad cheap over there. Most that I found were auto though...yuck! For the family car I was thinking of a 98-ish STi and then gettin another S14 for my toy.
Soarers are a dime a dozen here.

E-5 you can have your s14 brought over here with you...may want to look into that. But you have to pay to get it japan road leagal.

As far as family cars, stay the hell away from Scoobys out here. We have owned 2 and both (including the GT TT) were pieces of shit! Also, everyone I knew that owned one had problems w/them too. Go for a stagea or a Chaser. Chasers are the SHIT!

Good luck up there! hope you enjoy it!

s14dr1ft3r
02-08-2007, 07:09 PM
Soarers are a dime a dozen here.

E-5 you can have your s14 brought over here with you...may want to look into that. But you have to pay to get it japan road leagal.

As far as family cars, stay the hell away from Scoobys out here. We have owned 2 and both (including the GT TT) were pieces of shit! Also, everyone I knew that owned one had problems w/them too. Go for a stagea or a Chaser. Chasers are the SHIT!

Good luck up there! hope you enjoy it!
Isn't it just as expensive to legalize my s14 over there as it would be to legalize a silvia over here? If its not too painful, I might consider it.

I'm not really into the look of the stageas...the big ass end just doesn't do it for me. I like the chasers and that is definitely an option. Why is it the scoobys over here drive for a million miles yet over there they have problems? I don't get that logic. My first car was a subaru and it went for 340k miles.

On another topic...how is the military housing in general in Japan? I think we are going to live in military housing so that the commissary is close and my wife can make friends with and actually understand our neighbors. Not to mention my kids can go to the DoD schools.

driftshot
02-09-2007, 02:47 PM
i think you should give me your s14 , and i'll pay you after deployment ! LoL , it's worth a try ...

go buy an R-32 GTS while you're there ... STEP UP SON !

s14dr1ft3r
02-10-2007, 12:21 AM
i think you should give me your s14 , and i'll pay you after deployment ! LoL , it's worth a try ...

go buy an R-32 GTS while you're there ... STEP UP SON !
Thanks Daniel. I still say you should re-up at the end of this deployment and get orders over there with me. Cherrelle might get pissed tho. Tell you what, come over and help me install that tranny tomorrow and I'll THINK about letting you hang onto the S14 for a while...hehe.

liv2drift045
02-10-2007, 02:48 AM
Why is it the scoobys over here drive for a million miles yet over there they have problems? I don't get that logic. My first car was a subaru and it went for 340k miles.

On another topic...how is the military housing in general in Japan? I think we are going to live in military housing so that the commissary is close and my wife can make friends with and actually understand our neighbors. Not to mention my kids can go to the DoD schools.

We put over 20k kilo on our wagon this past year and it still runs great... only problem is a leaking valve cover gasket which happens so im not too worried about it...

I like housing out here... im in negishi and theres mostly townhouse style or duplex style houses... i don't know hows Sas-vegas' housing is, I'm not a fan of the highrise towers that they have here on base in japan tho... i grew up in the projects (goverment housing) and thats what they remind me of... that and the fact that you can't have dogs if you live in those

btw your children can go to DODs schools whether you live on base or off base... depending on housing you may HAVE to move off base for a short period of time (Yokosuka used to be that way)

yokotas13
02-10-2007, 08:23 AM
Isn't it just as expensive to legalize my s14 over there as it would be to legalize a silvia over here? If its not too painful, I might consider it.

I'm not really into the look of the stageas...the big ass end just doesn't do it for me. I like the chasers and that is definitely an option. Why is it the scoobys over here drive for a million miles yet over there they have problems? I don't get that logic. My first car was a subaru and it went for 340k miles.

easy as poo

believe me

take your s14

And buy a stagea
you too can look this cool
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/179/385278309_d622f70f76.jpg

liv2drift045
02-10-2007, 08:39 AM
he said he doesnt like stageas g-money

yokotas13
02-10-2007, 08:41 AM
who cares
he can bring his 14 lol

s14dr1ft3r
02-10-2007, 01:09 PM
easy as poo

believe me

take your s14

And buy a stagea
How easy? What the average cost? What needs to be done? I'll definately take it if I can afford to...I am just lowly E-5 after all.

Is that stagea yours? Although I'm not a fan, I admit yours looks good.

yokotas13
02-10-2007, 08:10 PM
yeah its mine

Its not hard, a few inspections an emissions test

like 1500-2000 is what most people pay, youll need to borow someones headlights for alignment purposes, raise your car up so you can slid a box of cigarettes under it (the whole car)
put your shift pattern someone
stupid shit like that
make sure none of your boots are torn, no leaks etc etc

Creizai
02-11-2007, 12:22 AM
easy as poo

believe me

take your s14

And buy a stagea
you too can look this cool
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/179/385278309_d622f70f76.jpg

Wow thats sweet as shit

s14dr1ft3r
02-11-2007, 12:31 PM
Wow thats sweet as shit
umm...I haven't tasted shit but I bet its not very sweet.