PDA

View Full Version : Flash Mobs

Cash
02-02-2007, 04:15 PM
Last night I was reading the text book for my information systems class, and I came accross something really crazy called flash mobs. It's where a really large group of people will get together and do something random like have a huge pillow fight, or point to the sky all at once and say "there it is" and then the mob disperses just as quickly as it formed. Anyone ever heard of flash mobs or seen one? Here's what wikipedia had to say about em:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_mob

BC240
02-02-2007, 04:56 PM
There was CSI Miami episode on this. There are also videos on youtube about a group of people who do this.. Last one I saw they walked into a huge department store and all started walking slo-mo.. like 1/5th the speed of everyone else walking, I think there was 50+ people. It was quite amusing

s13speeddrft
02-02-2007, 05:26 PM
there was a group at davis yesterday. They all crowded around atm machines and when the clock rang 12 began cheering for anyone taking money out. Read it on our newspaper.

HalveBlue
02-02-2007, 05:32 PM
Yeah, I heard a story on, I believe, NPR about this.

Weird stuff. But whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Yuri
02-02-2007, 05:33 PM
Some highlights

On 23 April 2006 in Manhattan, New York City, about 80 people arrived in Union Square North at 3:30pm wearing blue short sleeved polo shirts, khaki pants, a belt, and black dress shoes, very similar to the uniforms worn by the employees of Best Buy. They proceeded to enter the Best Buy on 23rd Street at 15-second intervals. While in the store they would each stand at the end of the aisles in different departments; they didn't claim to be employees of Best Buy, but agreed they would be friendly, helpful, and answer questions from any customers if they were approached. This flash mob was confusing to employees as well as customers. One employee claimed it was just like the The Thomas Crown Affair. This flash mob was organized by Improv Everywhere.

Canadian flash mobs have also taken the form of zombie mobs, in which people gather at a prearranged place in makeup and walk to a predetermined location in a "zombie" style, shuffling stiffly and moaning "braaains" at passers-by. The first was probably a small zombie flash mob which took place in Toronto's Queen West area on 16 October 2004[citation needed].

On 3 July 2005, several dozen self-described "hipster zombies" pretended to attack an unsuspecting medieval reenactment in Mount Royal Park in Montreal.

At the 2006 Vancouver Zombiewalk, an incident occurred in which a driver attempted to push his way through the crowd of zombies that was headed down Robson St. This resulted in some minor injuries among the zombies, severe damage to the car, a number of ICBC insurance claims, and coverage on CBC Television

EndLeSS8
02-02-2007, 05:51 PM
Vancouver has had zombie walks, but I've never been in town to see one.

mRclARK1
02-02-2007, 06:05 PM
I heard about one where a large group of people started fighting with pool noodles... :hug: :spank:

That would have been fun...

s13silady
02-02-2007, 06:55 PM
this has been posted before.. but since im here, here ya go.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bj0Ma2CsHME

Specter
02-02-2007, 06:59 PM
there have been a bunch of these in Japan lately... f-ing cool to see

RightWheelDrive
02-03-2007, 07:05 PM
s13speeddrft- I heard about the one in Davis too, too bad I missed it haha.

I saw one last night on YouTube where 100+ people pretended to shoot each other with their fingers and fell to the ground in the middle of a mall. Genius.

jrmiller84
02-03-2007, 07:23 PM
Some highlights

Quote:
On 23 April 2006 in Manhattan, New York City, about 80 people arrived in Union Square North at 3:30pm wearing blue short sleeved polo shirts, khaki pants, a belt, and black dress shoes, very similar to the uniforms worn by the employees of Best Buy. They proceeded to enter the Best Buy on 23rd Street at 15-second intervals. While in the store they would each stand at the end of the aisles in different departments; they didn't claim to be employees of Best Buy, but agreed they would be friendly, helpful, and answer questions from any customers if they were approached. This flash mob was confusing to employees as well as customers. One employee claimed it was just like the The Thomas Crown Affair. This flash mob was organized by Improv Everywhere.

Quote:
Canadian flash mobs have also taken the form of zombie mobs, in which people gather at a prearranged place in makeup and walk to a predetermined location in a "zombie" style, shuffling stiffly and moaning "braaains" at passers-by. The first was probably a small zombie flash mob which took place in Toronto's Queen West area on 16 October 2004[citation needed].

On 3 July 2005, several dozen self-described "hipster zombies" pretended to attack an unsuspecting medieval reenactment in Mount Royal Park in Montreal.

Quote:
At the 2006 Vancouver Zombiewalk, an incident occurred in which a driver attempted to push his way through the crowd of zombies that was headed down Robson St. This resulted in some minor injuries among the zombies, severe damage to the car, a number of ICBC insurance claims, and coverage on CBC Television

A group called Improv Everywhere has been doing these quite a bit in the past several months. Here's their website.

http://www.improveverywhere.com/home.php

They were responsible for the Slo-Mo one and the Best Buy one. If you look under missions and select a mission, say Best Buy, there's a lot of videos and pictures depicting everything they did. It's some funny shit to see everyones reactions.

SochBAT
02-03-2007, 11:48 PM
I remember one time at the local 24hour walmart, me and my buddies entered the store as if we were driving, noise, shifting and all. Kept it up for a while, and after a while, a few others were joining us going around the store, picking up what we needed. Pretty fun shit, especially when you've got trucks mimicing offroading, euros cruising, and asians drifting with carts.

Farzam
02-04-2007, 02:57 AM
I want a flash mob orgy.

SimpleSexy180
02-04-2007, 03:00 AM
^never had one?

its awesome.

SochBAT
02-04-2007, 03:41 AM
Its over faster than it began.

Well, Jason was like that.

bboyt3nsk
02-04-2007, 04:13 AM
I organized one of these before when I didnt even know they existed. I had half of our band ,like 70 people, to run to and crowd around one person and just trap that person right in the middle of the mob and just talk to eachother totally ignoring the person in the middle of the "talking mob". then when someone screamed we all just disbanded and walked away. It was the funniest thing ever....youd have to participate to understand. haaha