PDA

View Full Version : Popular Science: A Million Little ID Tags

DJ_Sunrise
02-02-2007, 12:02 PM
Hey guys.. i came across an article in PopSci i figured would help us 240 guys out a lot. An australian company released sand-grain sized identification dots that can be put on almost any surface. heres what part of the article says..oh yea..February 2007 issue, page 46, written by Elizabeth Svoboda.

"Transparent DataTots are laser-etched with an identification number unique to you and glued to every internal surface of your car, boat or laptop. The sheer number of sand-grain size dots on treated possessions- up to 5,000- makes it all but impossible for thieves to take them off and sell the harvested parts..Cops determine who stolen property belongs to by using a 50x magnifier to read the dots. If a person reporting a theft mentions that the item was Data-Dotted, police departments can access a company-run international database to find out if the car has turned up elsewhere."

"They only need to locate one dot to determine an items owner, whereas thieves would have to remove thousands of them in order to resell a stolen item."

Data dot will apply 1,000 dots for $300, and offer 5k refund on top of regular insurance if the car is stolen. DIY kits are available online.. $25 buys you 500 dots and can be applied with a swab.

no im not a representative for this company. im just so pissed off that so many of our cars and parts are being stolen. about 3 years ago when i joined this forum i didnt see shit in the way of cars or parts being stolen. now theres like what.. 3 cars a week on this forum alone getting jacked? we gotta stop this shit.. its getting way out of hand.

step #1. buy these datadots
step #2. buy shotgun
step #3. buy tree stand
step #4. sit in tree stand with shotgun waiting for car and car parts stealing shitheads.

you guys get the idea.. im pissed.. please prevent 240 theft, this is a car i have been in love with whether its yours or mine since the day i could say turbo. a small part of me gets shot in the face everytime i read a "stolen car" post. hope this thread helps somebody and prevents future theft...

-Bart

bryce with a y
02-02-2007, 12:27 PM
hah thats wack. but not a bad idea

roorr0
02-02-2007, 12:38 PM
i read it too...id consider it if i was rolling with a SR or RB.

axiomatik
02-02-2007, 02:47 PM
you don't need an engine swap to have your car jacked.

corey240
02-02-2007, 02:53 PM
you dont need an engine to get your car jacked either.

Brian
02-02-2007, 03:10 PM
That stuff is old news.
They have them the size of fibers.
You can pretty much put them in literally everything...

TforTits
02-02-2007, 03:24 PM
That stuff is old news.
They have them the size of fibers.
You can pretty much put them in literally everything...

If I eat these fibers, will my poop be safe?

Brian
02-02-2007, 03:25 PM
yes. probably.

!Zar!
02-02-2007, 04:15 PM
I'm going to use them to mark my women.

SochBAT
02-02-2007, 04:21 PM
Or man. Whichever comes first. :wiggle:

Smart, I'd invest in something that secures my shit.

steve shadows
02-02-2007, 04:38 PM
very cool :hs:

redsuns3838
02-02-2007, 05:17 PM
but in order for this to work you have to FIND a part that you believe was off your car. right? if your car is stolen. but howmany times do ppl find a part for sale and suspect it to be off their stolen car?

IM not trying to be a pessimist, but it just doesnt seem like it would help a whole lot more than putting some small marking on every part of your car..right? I mean cops arent just going to start walking up to 240s and checking them at random for stolen parts with these dot things.
Basically if u get your whole car stolen,you might get a headlight or two back and maybe a body panel IF the cops happen to find this. its not like theyre going to catch the thieves though. unless the buyer bought it from a chop shop. but i think most theives and shops are pretty good at covering their tracks.
=(

thieves suck, a good alarm, quick release wheel, and kill switches still seem to be the best way to protect against theft.

SochBAT
02-02-2007, 05:21 PM
Or people could run them up and see if they're legit parts. I sure as hell wouldn't hesitate to turn in the asshole that sells me hot parts.

But thats just me.

s13gold
02-04-2007, 05:18 PM
thats coool stuff.