PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new car, advice???

SiI40sx
01-19-2007, 01:04 AM
Well I finally found a Fast RWD Coupe for less than 30k new or used. For all you people out there that have bought a car from a dealer, what are the best methods for using the great low balling 240 skills on them?? Example, MSRP for a brand new one would be 32k, but I see them on autotrader going for 28ish. Is it realistic to tell a dealer, "Get me 29k signed ready to go and out the door (with taxes and all that bullshit, included), and Ill buy it" ?? Ive never bought a car from a stealership before and I'm hoping I dont get raped, your help is greatly appreciated!

Wei240
01-19-2007, 01:37 AM
carsdirect.com and forget hassling

or just go thru internet quotes...

either that or go find those friday/sunday specials on ads, like 1 of this only etc, if you don't mind that particular color/options/etc, but that's more on really mass produced cars like camrys/accords/etc

tacotacotaco
01-19-2007, 07:36 AM
dont ever seem interested in the car. And Go late tuesday night. DO not seem interested and just state that your only looking you dont need a care and that for you to walk off with a car it has to be a crazy offer.

SiI40sx
01-19-2007, 10:58 AM
http://www.babez.de/holden/cv8z/pic01.jpg

sigh..... cant wait

ciGARRETTsRbad4u
01-20-2007, 01:30 AM
is that the same as a gto?

A Spec Products
01-20-2007, 02:01 AM
Find a friend who is a dealer.

Then have him hook you up sick.

I think for 30k I would get something else. GTO is kinda meh.

That's just me though.

SochBAT
01-20-2007, 03:17 AM
Fast RWD = Mazda Miata/MX5

Baller.

http://www.flyinmiata.com/images/misc_images/widebody/FPMiata1.jpg

bamaboy
01-20-2007, 10:16 AM
don't buy the first time you go in.... don't offer up too much information..... and be firm in your price/payment range. Another piece of advice is go in close to the end of the month. Car dealers base the productivity around months. At the end of the month they will sell cars cheaper just to move cars. And there is only 2 scenarios that's going to happen......
1. They have had a great month and you buying a car from them would just make it better.....or
2. It's been a not so good month and they need to sell you a car just to keep from being fired.

There is no mediocre months in the car dealing business......it's either good or bad.

snatch13
01-20-2007, 10:21 AM
Good point Bama.

SiI40sx - I think there are better cars out there for 30k. Unless you just love the GTO, but I've heard from people who do own them that it wasn't worth the price and end up selling for something different.

Phlip
01-20-2007, 11:16 AM
I think there are better things to do with $30k, period.
... And I LIKE the GTO personally.
I don't know or particularly care about your current situation, but are you working again yet? Are you making enough money to where automotive cost (payment, insurance, maintenance) would represent 20% or less of your monthly earnings? Does that continue to hold true for a $30k automobile that you don't strike me as the type of person to NOT try and modify?
I say keep the S13, as annoying as it may be sometimes, it still costs less than a $30k car that will be worth $25k while you still owe about $28k.
New/newer cars = ripoff.

Dutchmalmiss
01-20-2007, 11:24 AM
yeah dude, if you just get a kouki s14, SR/RB swap, that'll be a good upgrade already.

snatch13
01-20-2007, 02:04 PM
I don't know or particularly care about your current situation, but are you working again yet? Are you making enough money to where automotive cost (payment, insurance, maintenance) would represent 20% or less of your monthly earnings? Does that continue to hold true for a $30k automobile that you don't strike me as the type of person to NOT try and modify?
I say keep the S13, as annoying as it may be sometimes, it still costs less than a $30k car that will be worth $25k while you still owe about $28k.
New/newer cars = ripoff.

Well put as always PHLIP.

bamaboy
01-20-2007, 03:59 PM
if you look around....you can pick up a fairly new car that's rwd with decent power for a lot less than $30K. Trust me. I found my 2003 350z track model with 26xxx miles for $18K. Look....and if you can finance through your bank or a credit union you can buy from an individual versus a dealer. I secured my financing after I found the car, which was at a dealership, but I walked in with the check from the credit union and bought it the same way you would with cash.......which by the way makes it very easy for negotiations to be dominated by you. If you are holding cash or an equivilent in your hands...they will do what it takes to get you to hand it over.

LB.Motoring
01-20-2007, 07:24 PM
you have 30k?

damn must be nice.

I should break my arm.

Dutchmalmiss
01-20-2007, 09:29 PM
I found my 2003 350z track model with 26xxx miles for $18K.

where did you find this?? online? or you just knew someone? i'm lookin for a z33 right now haha

RiversideS13
01-20-2007, 09:32 PM
many dealers got their used car from auction anyway. i think it is safe to check the blue book trade in price before you make offers.

shinhed
01-20-2007, 10:35 PM
I'll check the vins for you.

bamaboy
01-20-2007, 10:39 PM
where did you find this?? online? or you just knew someone? i'm lookin for a z33 right now haha

you just have to look and be patient....but agressive. I looked for Z's everyday online until I found one I could afford that wasn't pushing 100,000 miles. I found the car on tuesday, got the financing squared away on thursday, and drove to chi-town on saturday to pick it up..........

on a side note...i looked for 2 years

bamaboy
01-21-2007, 12:08 AM
I'd sell you mine if you were really interested.

or try this.....
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=215644212&dealer_id=581743&car_year=2003&num_records=&search_type=used&make=NISSAN&keywordsfyc=&distance=0&model=350Z&transmission=&address=53207&make2=&certified=&advanced=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&max_price=20000&sort_type=priceDESC&min_price=&first_record=76&body_code=0&end_year=2005&color=&keywordsrep=&start_year=2003&drive=&pager.offset=75&engine=&style_flag=1&doors=&fuel=&cardist=757
From what I have read the 2003 is the year you want if you plan on modding your car. After edit*2005* Nissan starting adding what's known as the rev-up engine in the 350Zs. I'm not sure what exactly the difference is but I know if you go on the Nismo site or Jim Wolf or Stillen they have a disclaimer that pretty much says their cams and maybe other bolt on parts can't be installed in the VQ35de if it is a rev-up version. Just some food for thought.

Edgar
01-21-2007, 01:07 AM
Like Logan said. If you have a friend that works at a dealership have him hook you up mad sick.
Get a nice Nissan something ;)

vrooompssssht
01-21-2007, 01:38 AM
Fast RWD = Mazda Miata/MX5

Baller.

Uh, not really.:ughd:

I laughed my ass off when I waved a spec miata by down the back straight at pahrump and kept flooring it... he was inching by. This was in my stock motor (not even rebuilt) 16v gti.

They are quick in the turns, they arent fast in a straight line for the most part, but anything can be made fast.

luckyslide16
01-21-2007, 02:03 AM
don't buy the first time you go in.... don't offer up too much information..... and be firm in your price/payment range. Another piece of advice is go in close to the end of the month. Car dealers base the productivity around months. At the end of the month they will sell cars cheaper just to move cars. And there is only 2 scenarios that's going to happen......
1. They have had a great month and you buying a car from them would just make it better.....or
2. It's been a not so good month and they need to sell you a car just to keep from being fired.

There is no mediocre months in the car dealing business......it's either good or bad.

Absolutely true^^^

I used to sell for a dealership out here in NY and the end of the month is the better time to go. Like Bamma said, there is no medium. Car salesmans bonuses are based on number of cars out in that month, as well as thiers Managers. Also be the first one in on a Saturday or a Sunday. My old dealership used to give $100 bonuses to the first salesman to sell a car, The first salesman to deliver a car, and sometimes they have weekend sales numbers bonuses also.

Also be prepared to take delivery on the day you buy the car. DO NOT TELL THEM THAT THOUGH!! A lot of times they will give you a crazy price on the condition that you take the car that day. so they will try to entice you buy the car and drive it home that day with a good offer. Weekends used to be crazy when I was working. I have actually sold cars for under Invoice before just to get them out before the end of a weekend or month.

so my advice would be to be one of the first poeple in the dealership on a Sat or Sun morning the last weekend of the month. That last weekend is when everyne is shooting for thier bonus numbers, and those are the weekends most likely to have incentives for the salesmen to move cars, which will benefit you because like I said, salesmen and managers will sell a car under invoice to get sales numbers up before the end of the month.

If you have any other questions let me know... I hope this helps and good luck buying your new car!!!

SiI40sx
01-22-2007, 10:35 AM
Perfect, thanks for all your advice. Basically go on the weekend towards the end of the month. Ill post pics when I get it!

SiI40sx
01-22-2007, 10:39 AM
New/newer cars = ripoff.

Maybe your income is too low to afford one right now, but its easily affordable by others? I dunno man its not hard

snatch13
01-22-2007, 10:56 AM
Uh, not really.:ughd:

I laughed my ass off when I waved a spec miata by down the back straight at pahrump and kept flooring it... he was inching by. This was in my stock motor (not even rebuilt) 16v gti.

They are quick in the turns, they arent fast in a straight line for the most part, but anything can be made fast.

You're a fucking idiot.

steve shadows
01-22-2007, 12:17 PM
I think for 30k I would get something else. GTO is kinda meh.

:fawk2:

explain captain un-obvious.

its a super-car platforom that can crap on almost anything with

a twin turbo kit and some suspension.

Phlip
01-22-2007, 03:51 PM
Maybe your income is too low to afford one right now, but its easily affordable by others? I dunno man its not hard
You got me all fucked up, homie.
I have better sense than to blow more money on something that is steadily losing value through no fault of my own, than to have one life event change whether or not I can live like I am living. But then, if common sense were "common, we'd all have it, huh?

Like this one dipshit I know that lost a job once because he broke his arm while he was arm wrestling at work. (http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=114202)

... and besides, I REFUSE to park a $30k car in front of a house that I am just paying rent on, certain things should be taken in their proper order.

At the end of the day, I STILL say that new/newer cars are a ripoff. Depreciation is a bitch in heat.

ALTRNTV
01-22-2007, 03:58 PM
Like this one dipshit I know that lost a job once because he broke his arm while he was arm wrestling at work.
Hahahahahahaha. PHLIP for the fatality!

http://img175.exs.cx/img175/5426/mkii67dw.png

Wei240
01-22-2007, 05:51 PM
well, it's his money...

but i can see why some people get new cars, it's nice, new, unmolested, new, clean, new...

one of these days when i'm not broke i'll get a new car...

SiI40sx
01-22-2007, 07:00 PM
Its ok flip, one day youll afford something better than an old 240sx coupe. And what? your mortgage is probably as much as my rent? Because we all know the cost of living in an a hick incest filled state is a lot lower than socal.

ALTRNTV
01-22-2007, 07:08 PM
:keke: :keke: :keke::keke: :keke: :keke::keke: :keke: :keke::keke: :keke: :keke:

SiI40sx
01-22-2007, 07:14 PM
LOL didnt I delete this thread??? Phlip you need to get a life man, im over this, stop reviving the thread

Phlip
01-22-2007, 07:17 PM
Its ok flip, one day youll afford something better than an old 240sx coupe. And what? your mortgage is probably as much as my rent? Because we all know the cost of living in an a hick incest filled state is a lot lower than socal.
Nice try at posting and then deleting the thread, doesn't work that easily.
*HOWEVER*
Claims of "hick incest filled states" are stereotypical and quite ignorant of you. Hell, with my education, I could likely live where I want to, I prefer to live where people know my name, where every individual is greeted like a human fucking being instead of a hindrance to progress, where I can drive my car with whatever the fuck I want done to it, how I want it done without worries of being stopped and harrassed for it.
But I digress.
Your IM conversation had you painting yourself to be the bigger man, but I fail to see how this post presents you to be that. "Childish responses?" I came with common sense until you took it upon yourself to infer (look it up if you don't know what it means) about what I can and cannot afford, when you have made it public knowledge that you're often the victim of your own stupidity. I did not sign off, Cesar, I blocked you.
And to answer your question, yes I do have a life.
5 days a week it sees me behaving like a responsible adult, in my house and ready to prepare myself for work at 8am the next morning.

ALTRNTV
01-22-2007, 07:19 PM
http://www.myfonts.com/images/family/device/game-over.jpg

SiI40sx
01-22-2007, 07:49 PM
LOL this is the THIRD time i tried deleting this thread but apparently SOME moderator keeps reviving it. All I know is that if my life ended up like yours at the age 30 and only looked forward to a forum after my 9 to 5 job while driving my 15 year old car Id fucking shoot myself

mrmephistopheles
01-22-2007, 07:51 PM
:keke:
I'd sooner drive a 15 year old car and pay mortgage payments than be dick-deep in debt on something that'll depreciate over 25% just because I bought it - at any age.

ALTRNTV
01-22-2007, 07:54 PM
Why are you trying to delete it and not just lock it? Or do you not want people to read your posts? :keke:

Here, help yourself.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/trueneutral/Roulette.jpg

NemeGuero
01-22-2007, 07:56 PM
I prefer to live where people know my name,

http://www.brew-wood.co.uk/comedy/cheers/TITLE.JPG

Where everyone knows your name!! hahaha

Phlip
01-22-2007, 07:57 PM
I'd sooner drive a 15 year old car and pay mortgage payments than be dick-deep in debt on something that'll depreciate over 25% just because I bought it - at any age.
I mean, that is all I was saying in the first place, before someone decided that it was a personal attack on them.
... and started IM'ing everyone about it.
... and tried the insult/delete mode of defense.
How hard is it to understand that the "buying a 30k car before I finish college" idea is a just a bad look altogether?

Why are you trying to delete it and not just lock it? Or do you not want people to read your posts? :keke:

Here, help yourself.

Precisely.

exitspeed
01-22-2007, 08:04 PM

Werd. I love when people on forums that know me a lil bit and know abot my car (a bone stock 240) and want to start comparing our lives in dollar amounts. I don't even get into that pissing match. :fawk2: That shit is weak saws.

mrmephistopheles
01-22-2007, 08:05 PM
Frankly, if I had the cash to spend on a new car payment at age 20, I'd sock it away for a few years to get it ready as a down payment on a house. Own a cheap car, repair it yourself, have money saved up in case of needed repairs/servicing.
I totally regret some holding out for a cheaper car when I bought mine, and I further regret taking out a 2nd loan against it to pay for mods. Granted it's all of $7500 in loans I'm talking about, but it's still money that could've been put toward my house.
I'm now 27 and have owned a house (jointly with my wife) for a little over a year.
In that time, it's value has increased ~$20k.
Granted, I'm paying a mortgage, and it's more than rent on a shitty apartment, but that money is being invested, not given to some other jerkoff to pay HIS mortgages.

I will probably never buy a new car. The only way it's likely to happen is if money becomes a non-issue, and even then it'll be with some hesitation.

Being in/around the military, I've seen WAYYYY too many young people get into new car loans that sucked the money right from their pockets, to the point where they'd end up defaulting on the loan or getting by on ramen.
That's not a healthy way to live.

exitspeed
01-22-2007, 08:17 PM
^
I know where your coming from first hand actually.

When I as 18 I went out and bought a brand new Grand Am GT. A year later my GF (now Wife) and I bought another new car, a 200 Eclipse GT. So we're living at home driving nearly $40k in cars at only 19 and 18 years of age. We kept up this charade of having "money" until it got real bad. We moved out and the cost of living drove us right into the ground. We were so far upside down on the cars and all of our other financed BS that we didn't know what to do. Finally a few years ago we matured and realized that we needed to start making better decisions finically. With the help in the form of a loan from her parents and some wise decisions we're in a good point in our lives now that I'm 27. I literally took us that long to dig ourselves out of that hole.

I'd much rather have some paid of OK cars and a wonderful house and piece of mind then brand new baller cars.

Phlip
01-22-2007, 08:48 PM
^ I was lucky, white Mel, I still lived home with moms while I was in college and, while I lived off campus, we lived walking distance from my school. I was working fulltime among other things, and one time came REALLY close to buying a car that I could LITERALLY afford, based upon what I was making at the time, but would have easily eaten all of my cash. If I were to get hurt/sick and miss work or the car breaks down and I would have been fucked with no rubber.
Moms explained that to me, I bought 2 used cars for what was STILL a fraction of what the car I was looking at back then would have cost me. Thanks to my side hustle, I financed both through "buy here, pay here" lots, hustled the cash and paid them both off with the "90 days, same as..."
I thank my mother for her overriding opinion, because all the way through college, I watched idiots taking student loans and blowing it on new/newer cars and 20" chrome wheels and shit like that, showing off for silly broads on campus. Now, I owe NOTHING in student loans and only small things linger on my credit (yes, my 2000-3500 is tiny compared to their 30-40-60 THOUSAND dollar debts, especially since I actually graduated) to this day.
I agree with Kevin when I repeat that the likelihood of me ever owning a brand new car is somewhere in the middle of a triangle consisting of "slim," "none," and "HEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLL NO."

chr0nik_sm0k3
01-22-2007, 09:00 PM
so much bickering...

theicecreamdan
01-22-2007, 09:19 PM

Its not the dollar amount, its where that money goes.

Every month I pay my third of rent for this decent apartment in an almost decent part of town. It pisses me off so much. Every month we put $1200 into some corporations bank account, while every month my mom puts a little more into a mortgage payment. The difference between rent and mortgage is that when you pay mortgage you are putting money into a big bank account that gives you a nice place to sleep, and you can take a shower in your bank account, and cook your dinner in it. And its a hell of a lot cooler to modify the bathroom in your house than it is to modify the exhaust on a car.

Phlip and Kevin have given you awesome advice and did not mean you any anal pains, but you had to get all defensive about how much money you make and how easily you can afford a $30k car.

SochBAT
01-22-2007, 09:35 PM
I'd just suggest wising up, purchasing a newer old car, and invest that money in something you'll enjoy thousands of times more than a car will ever give you, and thats the security of living well enough for a few more years. If that makes any sense.

Invest your money wisely, don't blow it on a car.

bamaboy
01-22-2007, 09:51 PM

are you really proud that you are paying rent?

chr0nik_sm0k3
01-22-2007, 09:58 PM

i guess he is

theicecreamdan
01-22-2007, 11:40 PM

I hate paying my rent with a passion, but I'm proud of it.

SochBAT
01-23-2007, 12:45 AM
I concur InDanButt.

Rent sucks balls.

exitspeed
01-23-2007, 07:27 AM
Rent is gay. I laugh when i see how much homes apartments cost in Cali. My house, no joke, would be $3 million dollars there (half acre and 3600sq ft). And the cost of living in WI is nowhere near as cheap as down south. I feel sorry for you guys out in Cali for how much realestate costs.

NemeGuero
01-23-2007, 11:24 AM
Oh yeah!? Well.. my dad can beat up your dad!

exitspeed
01-23-2007, 12:01 PM
Oh yeah!? Well.. my dad can beat up your dad!

Yea right. This is my dad... http://pictures.deadlycomputer.com/d/10957-1/chucknorris.jpg

NemeGuero
01-23-2007, 04:41 PM
Shit! !!!

BC240
01-23-2007, 05:40 PM
I sell cars(unfortunately) and im telling you buying a brand new car is a poor choice unless you have money to burn. Your best bet if you want a new(ish) car is to buy one with 10,000km or so from an auction. That way someone else has ate a huge chunk of depreciation for almost no wear and tear.

That all being said older cars can be expensive too. Ive spent probably $20k fixing up and modifying 15 year old shit boxes just to sell them at a fat loss. I try and justify this by saying I enjoyed my time with these vehicles and learned a lot but in all honestly that money should have gone towards a house or a better education.

I now drive a beautiful 95 240 and instead of spending cash on coilovers and exhaust I flew to Hawaii and had the best week of my life. When you get older your priorities change, I can't see the benefit of spending $30k on a car when your that young but its your life.

Try and listen to people who have a different perspective. Sorry if I got to off the original topic and good luck regardless with whatever you do.

SiI40sx
01-23-2007, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the advice BC240, my first option was a GTO with 15k or less miles on it. But the fact that this car is a sports car, I think of the risk of what those 15k miles can carry with them like was the car abused or raced for a full 15k miles or was it babied and let go? How many problems do you think a car with 15k abusive miles can have? The reason I considered a brand new GTO is because the difference between a new and used one is only 4-6k which doesnt seem like a lot.

SiI40sx
01-23-2007, 07:12 PM

Hell yes I am. I was 18 when I moved out and have done all of it on my own, no help from my wealthy parents. Modded my 240 on my own and paid rent on my own, and Im not giving money to some dipshit jerkoff either but one of the most inspiring people in my life. He's my bestfriends brother who graduated from berkley and accomplished a lot in life, all with no arms. There's a reason why Im able to afford a brand new car at this time in my life and well this thread did get out of hand. Im sorry I got fired up, but when people online come across acting like they know your life through small pieces of information you shared with them it can get annoying. Pretty much learned the stupid way why its good not to share much of your life with people online.

So yeah Ill post pics when I get it !!

Baka Sama
01-23-2007, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the advice BC240, my first option was a GTO with 15k or less miles on it. But the fact that this car is a sports car, I think of the risk of what those 15k miles can carry with them like was the car abused or raced for a full 15k miles or was it babied and let go? How many problems do you think a car with 15k abusive miles can have? The reason I considered a brand new GTO is because the difference between a new and used one is only 4-6k which doesnt seem like a lot.

Is this car gonna be your daily driver SiI40sx? If it is then go with a GTO with 15k miles on it for less money. Cars are ment to be driven! A few thousand miles is barely breaking it in. I hate to tell you but people who buy GTOs new dont race or abuse them. Usually middle age guys who just want a sporty car. Your missing the point of what a lot of people are telling you. You buy this car for 30k, drive off the lot and you've just thrown 2k down the toilet! I dont care how much money you have thats just stupid. Personally I would never buy a gto cause I think the stylings too bland but thats not the point. The point is in 3-4 years your car will be worth 19k if not less and you probably will still be paying payments on it! Dont be stupid!:loco:

The 1st GTO on AutoTrader....

2005 Pontiac GTO Mileage 10,360 $23,995

http://images.autotrader.com/images/2007/1/17/215/843/1518580910.215843414.IM1.MAIN.240x180_A.240x180.jp g

You sound like the old guys who try to sell their c5 vettes for 30k lol Cause its a "real" sports car.

And just because im a nice guy here is a list of things you should do.

1. REconsider buying a GTO. - Its an ok car but so many better cars out these days, ie 350z, vette, lotus
2. REconsider saving your money for the GTR if your such a baller
3. If you must buy a "real" sports car take out a loan from your bank so you can haggle price down.
4. Buy used GTO w/ under 15k miles. Your car will not fall apart just caused its used.
5. *edit* Your car may fall apart cause its a Pontiac.
6. See number one..

SiI40sx
01-24-2007, 02:51 AM
You sound like the old guys who try to sell their c5 vettes for 30k lol Cause its a "real" sports car.

And just because im a nice guy here is a list of things you should do.

1. REconsider buying a GTO. - Its an ok car but so many better cars out these days, ie 350z, vette, lotus
2. REconsider saving your money for the GTR if your such a baller
3. If you must buy a "real" sports car take out a loan from your bank so you can haggle price down.
4. Buy used GTO w/ under 15k miles. Your car will not fall apart just caused its used.
5. *edit* Your car may fall apart cause its a Pontiac.
6. See number one..

Im sorry what? Sell my GTO for 30k? First off Im not purchasing this car to resell it in the future and get my money back. That almost never works anyway. Second of all a vette would be ridiculous on insurance and a 350z isnt all that great out of the box. This car will NOT be my daily. That car you posted at 24k with 10k on it is basically only 3-4k less than a brand new one. Thats why Im considering a new car even more given the fact that a 3-4k cost for peace of mind isnt much over a 5-6 year term.

Farzam
01-24-2007, 04:53 AM
IMO i'd just get something else.
Get a car that's been out a lil longer with more units available.
It'd be cheaper.
Hell, get an s2000/G35 coupe/evo/STi.

Do what YOU want but just make sure you got some backup plan (mom, dad, shotgun and bottle of scotch, etc.)

jeeper_x
01-24-2007, 06:52 AM
what about some yaris, fit, or Xa?.........im thinkin' of selling my sil-80 to buy one of these 3......

SiI40sx
01-24-2007, 11:28 AM
what about some yaris, fit, or Xa?.........im thinkin' of selling my sil-80 to buy one of these 3......

lol i know huh, maybe get an echo and turbo it with a custom rwd drivetrain!