PDA

View Full Version : DJ Drama arrested for mix CDs

Frosty_spl
01-17-2007, 05:18 PM
http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=2083928&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=3.2.1

WTF??? They are not blatant CD copies he is selling, they are mixes.

Any other DJs in the house? What do you guys think about this?

(DJ Drama is one of the biggest DJs in the nation right now. Have you west coast guys heard of him?)

HyperTek
01-17-2007, 05:46 PM
mix cds might as well be illegal.. they dont pay royalty to others i dont think.

HyperTek
01-17-2007, 05:49 PM
hmm but that is pretty gay..

i wonder if these guys where doing legal activity, seeking the rights of using these songs??

mix cds are pretty low quality imo or sound crappy anyways

MELLO*SOS
01-17-2007, 05:49 PM
Didn't rtfa but they just passed legislation a little while ago to help those with too much time and money crack down on "IP infractions"... Judge ruled that samples are illegal and promote terrorism. Ok maybe not the last part, but still..

ManoNegra
01-17-2007, 06:27 PM
Gangta Grill Records.. lolercopter!

Gnnr
01-17-2007, 09:42 PM
There's a lot of mixtapes that are done with permission like DJ Green Lantern or w/e does. So yeah, no permission=illegal.

slideways14
01-21-2007, 10:41 AM
there gonna get away with it. they were definaley raiding that place with the intention of finding drugs and weapons. i dont see how there gonna get in trouble

downshift_sideways
01-21-2007, 11:41 AM
The Anti-Piracy unit went in lol.

At least they didnt find any Drugs or Weapons. Looked like a clean party.

Phlip
01-21-2007, 12:02 PM
The weird shit is that EVERY Gangsta Grillz CD I own was done with full artist interaction, usually with exclusive songs and all... I can't see where this will go very far, unless we're forced to start seeing the CDs in stores sometime in the near future.
I am hoping not, they fucked up DJ Clue's mixes like that.

JesusFreakDrifter
01-21-2007, 12:06 PM
how many cd's did he have 60 or 80k, he could easily sell those for 5-10 bucks a piece, and make nothin but pure profit. and like it was stated before, there would be no royalties paid to these artist, so idk, how it might go down. hope it gets dropped though

SimpleS14
01-21-2007, 12:12 PM
Damn....they even took the BMW 6-series. Well I hope they don't face any person time....sucks what happened to them.

TiNMAN
01-21-2007, 01:18 PM
most of those cd's looked like mixtapes and not actual copies of LP's. back in the day mixtapes to dj's were actual mixes and blends you hear on the radio done with 4-track recorders and whatnot, so you wouldnt be in trouble if you played someones song in your mix. although you weren't suppose to sell these, dj's needed to get a little bit of cash back, and now it's gone too far. these days every rap artist drops a couple of "mixtapes" before they drop their first LP. their version of the mixtape is using others artists' beats to rhyme on and using shitloads of uncleared samples. but from what ive been told, you could do any kind of mixtape as long as you make zero profit. like PHLIP said, most of the mixtapes he owns from these guys have artist interaction, so unless theres some kinda sour relationship behind it all there really is no case.

+1 for artists, dj's, producers, engineers(who know what theyre doing)

Rayne
01-21-2007, 01:51 PM
Meh....he was selling the copies he made. Mixtape or not...someone thought his actions were illegal and did something about it. You have to remember selling mixtapes and giving mixtapes away can be two different things in regards to legality.

TiNMAN
01-21-2007, 01:52 PM
You have to remember selling mixtapes and giving mixtapes away can be two different things in regards to legality.

for sure yo!