PDA

View Full Version : Advancing the timing... help

redracer240sx
07-18-2002, 07:18 PM
In the intrest of saving me time of tearing down the distributor just to find out this simple fact, can somebody tell me which direction advances the timing of a KA24DE? turning it toward the timing cover, or toward the flywheel? what is the optimum degree adv/ret?

Thanks
Caleb

240 2NR
07-19-2002, 08:08 AM
Advanced is toward the front of the car (turning the distributor counter clockwise). On a DOHC, the stock setting is 22 degrees +/- 2 btdc.

Optimal setting depends on what your doing and if you have access to a dyno. In general if you run premium, you should be able to safely run 24 degrees without problem and any more than that and I'd want a dyno to verify where power is made or lost. Rememeber, the further advanced you go, the more risk you take if you ever fill up with regular gas.

-edit-  because %%d doesn't make a nice little symbol for degrees

MarketPlayer
07-19-2002, 07:48 PM
To do this you would have to? take off the dist cap, rotr, then what...

Joe_M
07-19-2002, 10:30 PM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MarketPlayer @ July 19 2002,8:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">To do this you would have to? take off the dist cap, rotr, then what...</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
Nope... leave it all together. &nbsp;All you have to do is loosen the 2 10mm bolts that hold the distributor to the block, turn it a few mm towards the front of the car, verify the timing with a timing gun, then tighten down the bolts. &nbsp;Easy as pie.

Joe

shady
07-20-2002, 03:52 PM
what are the benefits of advancing the timing on a 240sx ?

anotheraznguy
07-29-2002, 08:19 AM
you get more hp...
but i have a quick question..
how do i use a timing light?
can anyone give a detailed instrustionc..

240 2NR
07-29-2002, 11:10 AM
You're best off watching someone who knows what they're doing &nbsp;the first time. &nbsp;That's how I learned and I think if I read about it I still would have been lost without a lot of pitures.

A timing light clips to the battery and the #1 spark plug wire. &nbsp;The gun is then aimed at the serpentine belt between the block and fan shround and you will see a series of lines. &nbsp;The lines indicate degrees advanced or retarded based on where they are in relation to a timing mark. &nbsp;The gun is basically a strobe light that illuminates as the spark is fired so you only see the instant it fires, and allows you to guage the position of a timing line against the mark. &nbsp;

A basic gun just flashes as it fires so where the mark is tells you the degrees. &nbsp;Others are more advanced that can show you where 0 is and allow you to do other fancy things I don't completely understand. &nbsp;

This probably doesn't help much at all (it wouldn't help me aside from understanding the basics). &nbsp;Find a friend who is very good at working on motors and chances are they have a gun and will be able to advance the timing on your car in five minutes.