PDA

View Full Version : Does the car a person owns reflect on who he is?

bardabe
01-10-2007, 12:27 AM
Does the car a person own reflect who he is??? discuss. ive been having a discussion about it with a friend and i;d like to see some of my Zilvian's answers.

LB.Motoring
01-10-2007, 12:32 AM
Does the car a person owns reflect on who he is?

consider revising your grammer and sentence structure, damn so hard to figure out.

If by what I own represents me then yes.

I have so much stuff, and its everywhere, much like me. Un Organized.

chibo
01-10-2007, 12:53 AM
If the mods were chosen/done by said person then sure, yes they do.

Farzam
01-10-2007, 02:08 AM
Some may argue and say "n00b it's what people like."

If you go with something you like cause it looks cool, you're probably shallow and not the most intellectual person.

If you go with something because to enhance something or something along those lines...that shows it I guess.

Like someone getting an Origin kit to look like that drifter, compared to the guy who got the aero for increased flow to his GReddy intercooler/koyo radiator/big floppy donkey dick.

It's a concept that would take me hours to explain but basically you can either tell everything or tell nothing.

chibo
01-10-2007, 02:12 AM
Some may argue and say "n00b it's what people like."

If you go with something you like cause it looks cool, you're probably shallow and not the most intellectual person.

If you go with something because to enhance something or something along those lines...that shows it I guess.

Like someone getting an Origin kit to look like that drifter, compared to the guy who got the aero for increased flow to his GReddy intercooler/koyo radiator/big floppy donkey dick.

It's a concept that would take me hours to explain but basically you can either tell everything or tell nothing.
Eh, I'd more say that if you go with something you like the looks of then you care about your appearance and are more social.

Things like stripped cars show that you like function over form, to an extreme.

Making your own wiring harness and routing it to look OEM makes you seem meticulous...

etc, etc, etc.

Jdotsturn
01-10-2007, 02:17 AM
Yea if ur broke, your car will look and/or perform like shit.

If your ballin, your car will look and/or perform good.

chibo
01-10-2007, 02:26 AM

You can also be broke but have a sick car :rofl:

ALEXTHESUS*PECT
01-10-2007, 02:33 AM

i'm a surgical tech
my old car
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h10/ale89se/ale001.jpg

my boss's car
plastic surgeon
http://i.n.com.com/i/ne/p/photo/LAAutoShow039_550x413.jpg
porche cayman:wackit:
but for a long time he drove a camry!

jrmiller84
01-10-2007, 07:11 AM

I tend to agree with you for the most part. That is why ricers get on a lot of our nerves. They're light up exhaust tips and tireflys are all for show because they're "sweeeet son, lol!". Now some people I know honestly only care about looks and not performance. I can understand this only if you have a newer car you still owe money on so as to not ruin the cars motor with $20k left to pay. But if you own a shitty car and only put money into the way it looks and not the maintenance, then yes, it's a problem of intelligence. You obviously can't afford a newer car so you better keep that one running, not money for new badass light up windshield sprayers.

FaLKoN240
01-10-2007, 10:04 AM
You type too much when you post.

I agree to somewhat extent.

Clean car, meticulously clean shows an organized person, with attention to detail.

I could break down further the traits and other characteristics a car can exhibit, but I don't feel like it.

Replicant_S14
01-10-2007, 01:40 PM
I see a lot of cars that make me think that the owners are starved for attention.

ranger2339
01-10-2007, 04:38 PM
I have a truck for a daily driver. So i guess being that i have a truck as a daily, and i own a landscape buisness, i guess that refelcts who i am, a landscaper! My 240 is my track car and that does not reflect who i am.

UfoZ8myCow
01-10-2007, 08:41 PM
I think we all agree that your car reflects on your personal traits.

I think that depending on where you live, people can judge you more or less on your car- ie in a place like LA, people often judge you just by what you drive. Especially with the huge import community around these parts. Same goes for a place like Indiana (at least the part where I lived), where people see modified imports and laugh.

HyperTek
01-10-2007, 08:50 PM
Does the car a person owns reflect on who he is?

consider revising your grammer and sentence structure, damn so hard to figure out.

If by what I own represents me then yes.

I have so much stuff, and its everywhere, much like me. Un Organized.

yah.. not running stock chassis cars =D ouch heheh

i was all beat the fuck up looking but turned into something nice like my car lol.. tho i could use some gym time myself *jus like my car should be goin to the track but we jus dont have the time* lol

mjjstang
01-10-2007, 10:38 PM
I have a:
2001 mustang
1997 explorer
1991 240sx

I guess that would make me a used car salesman or someone who spent more on cars than he would care to admit.

mjjstang
01-10-2007, 10:43 PM

nothing could be further from the truth, every ganksta in the D who cant afford to pay his kids child support rolls in a caddy while my cousin who makes more than plenty for a good lifestyle asked me if there was something I could do to help his infiniti g20 shift better, it currently only has about 2 gears.

Of course I have generalized a bit, however prime examples can be found everywhere.

A Spec Products
01-11-2007, 01:02 AM
Not really, it reflects who he wants you to THINK he is.

Ultimately most people will modify their cars to present to the world the image they want to put forth.

Also, used as a tool/method to cover/mask insecurities, etc.

Yet again, a big generalization but true in most cases.

illvialuver
01-11-2007, 03:51 AM
I think it most definatly does. most of the time. I have seen a 240 parked outside a bussiness or restaraunt, and walk in tell my friend, i bet that guy drives it(and no i dont see any clothing like drifting t's or a big nissan shirt) and 8 times outta ten ill be right.

SimpleSexy180
01-11-2007, 04:34 AM
i actually think it depends on what scene your in.

ZenkitonS14
01-11-2007, 11:52 AM
i just buy what i like....wait....doesnt everybody????

SimpleS14
01-11-2007, 11:59 AM
I think the interior tells more than the exterior.

nrg
01-11-2007, 02:57 PM

Ultimately most people will modify their cars to present to the world the image they want to put forth.

Somewhat true. Sometimes a car does reflect what a person's style is.

Like my car for example. I always do things to pervent problems that would smack me in the head. I try to keep it clean, but dont care for breaking things; because some things are easily replaceable. bumper is damaged, signal lights are all broken, rocks in the fmic, tons of paint chips on the fender and doors. Not too biggy (I call it road wear), but the one thing i want to pervent is screwing up the car where I wont be able to drive it. I'm not the one to mickey mouse on anything I do/work with. I like long walks on the beach and sleeping in while watching tv.

but then you have tools that do things to their car because everyone else is doing it. They all think it's cool, so it makes them cool. in terms, people will see that they're cool.

I think it most definatly does. most of the time. I have seen a 240 parked outside a bussiness or restaraunt, and walk in tell my friend, i bet that guy drives it(and no i dont see any clothing like drifting t's or a big nissan shirt) and 8 times outta ten ill be right.

WHAT THE FUCK? So if you're into a certin type of car, you have to wear clothes that say "powered by nissan/toyota/honda" ??

aznpoopy
01-11-2007, 03:18 PM

i agree... but there are exceptions

my car looks like a total piece of shit, for instance. not really how i want it to be for how much time i've owned it.

TheSquidd
01-11-2007, 04:38 PM
Yeah my cars a pretty big shit pile mashup of knockoff parts and pretty beat up.

Kinda like me....

steve shadows
01-11-2007, 04:47 PM

lol-pertty much dead on, rep for you. :ugh:

NemeGuero
01-11-2007, 06:17 PM

I think this is only for those who CARE what other people think of the mods done to their car... "Hey guys.. check out my new blah blah"..

If you do it for yourself, I think it should reflect on you personally.

wingsnthangs
01-11-2007, 08:46 PM
Slammed cars with huge rims = owner cares too much about ride image
Really fixed-up cars = owner is not very practical with finances
Car that is need of a paint job or body work for a long time = owner is poor

Yep those are my stereotyped generalizations. Of course there are few exceptions.

I don't think car ownership says anything about personality, especially how generous he/she is (valet experience).

theicecreamdan
01-12-2007, 01:39 AM
I drive a toyota pickup, and I can pick things up. I guess it does work.

UfoZ8myCow
01-12-2007, 10:21 AM
I drive a turbo Camry... I like to work with what Ive got and be different. Even if it means negative reps on Zilvia lol.

lucky7
01-12-2007, 02:44 PM
I think the interior tells more than the exterior.

^^ i agree with you. i would say, the exterior of a car portrays how you want to be viewed. but the interior of your car shows who you really are. now im not talking strictly painted vents and shit. but just look at how its kept up, look at what is in the car. garbage in the bac? floormats? cig burns everywhere? shit like that.

jrmiller84
01-12-2007, 02:57 PM
A shitty paint job is usually a sign of someone who is broke, but it can also be a sign of someone who knows how to organize their priorities.

For example, my cars paint job is nonexistant. Clear coat is almost completely gone and car has 200k miles on it. I have plenty of money to get a good paint job right now but the motor is more important. I don't care about it looking like a shitbox, I want it to run right and have some power before I concentrate on looks.

I don't want to have a fast looking car with nothing to back it.

EchoOfSilence
01-12-2007, 03:12 PM
^^ i agree with you. i would say, the exterior of a car portrays how you want to be viewed. but the interior of your car shows who you really are. now im not talking strictly painted vents and shit. but just look at how its kept up, look at what is in the car. garbage in the bac? floormats? cig burns everywhere? shit like that.
yeah i think i'll agree to that. My shit is pretty damned dirty. If I step into Evan's car, it'll be nice and clean (excluding the parts and shit he has under the seats lol). Anyway, clean enough to where I'll be like "damn, it'd be nice if I kept my car clean like this" but then never do it. Same with my room, facial hair, etc.

NemeGuero
01-12-2007, 04:02 PM
yeah i think i'll agree to that. My shit is pretty damned dirty. If I step into Evan's car, it'll be nice and clean (excluding the parts and shit he has under the seats lol). Anyway, clean enough to where I'll be like "damn, it'd be nice if I kept my car clean like this" but then never do it. Same with my room, facial hair, etc.

yah you got some wicked facial pubes.. lol

and I still got that VLSD in my backseat.. haha

EchoOfSilence
01-12-2007, 04:11 PM
yah you got some wicked facial pubes.. lol

and I still got that VLSD in my backseat.. haha
that would explain why it itches sometimes.... :naughty:

theicecreamdan
01-12-2007, 05:37 PM
A shitty paint job is usually a sign of someone who is broke, but it can also be a sign of someone who knows how to organize their priorities.

For example, my cars paint job is nonexistant. Clear coat is almost completely gone and car has 200k miles on it. I have plenty of money to get a good paint job right now but the motor is more important. I don't care about it looking like a shitbox, I want it to run right and have some power before I concentrate on looks.

I don't want to have a fast looking car with nothing to back it.

Well... if somebody can't afford good paint, but can get the money together to do some mods on a 240, what does THAT tell you about their priorities?

A car only tells you about its owner, if the owner is a "car person" that can afford to do the things he wants to do to the car. A car owner's plans can tell you a lot about who they are, but if you have a different point of view on something then you will get the wrong idea about who they are. Somebody might
prefer a nice paintjob, and in your mind that means they have their priorities "wrong" but there's not any right or wrong way to do it.

jrmiller84
01-12-2007, 06:31 PM
Well... if somebody can't afford good paint, but can get the money together to do some mods on a 240, what does THAT tell you about their priorities?

A car only tells you about its owner, if the owner is a "car person" that can afford to do the things he wants to do to the car. A car owner's plans can tell you a lot about who they are, but if you have a different point of view on something then you will get the wrong idea about who they are. Somebody might
prefer a nice paintjob, and in your mind that means they have their priorities "wrong" but there's not any right or wrong way to do it.

Point taken, it is all relative after all. People looking at my car would think I'm broke but they wouldn't know the money is being saved for a new motor.

Dutchmalmiss
01-12-2007, 10:03 PM
i agree with the whole interior thing yet i understand the "paintjob first" point as well. when i'm in a car, i see the interior more than i see the exterior. so, as the perfectionist as i am, i vacuum/clean/wipe the crap out of the interior. yet i don't touch the outside at all haha! and some people in my car are like, "damn you're shits cleaner than my '04 scion!" that's what i like hearing. haha

EchoOfSilence
01-12-2007, 10:08 PM
lol. when i'm in my car all i see is hood

kodama
01-13-2007, 02:03 AM

for some reason, i am the opposite of this statement. I am a very lazy person, and the outside of my car reflects that (miscolored panels, nothing lines up properly, etc.). My apartment is a mess, and i basically live in my own filth, but my car is clean as can be inside.:tweak: