PDA

View Full Version : Computer wont boot... idea's?

CKAMC
01-06-2007, 09:53 PM
So I just got done setting up some new upgrades on my pc....

new case (antec solo)
new hdd (320gig sata seagate)
new psu ( seagate 550w s12 energy plus)

So I try booting with all three drives(also have a 30gig ide and 160gig ide) at first... no go.

So I disconnect the 160gig and BING! goes well

formatted the new drive and after that shut down to install XP onto new drive.

Disconnect 30gig ..... system starts up but no signal to display.... :(

I messed around with the IDE connection and lay out and the 40 pin on the back of the IDE drives... NADA!! :(

I might have to buy a VGA to DVI connector tommarow or clear the CMOS and see if that does the trick... maybe setup the 40 pin on the 30gig hdd (that has XP on it) to cable select and see what it does....

Idea's and sugggestions are welcome. motherboard is a gigabyte K8NSC-939... amd system.

HyperTek
01-06-2007, 11:45 PM
are your older hard drives IDE?? What drive is going to be your boot drive? Put the jumpers on the other drives to CS and make your new hd the first boot up drive. Should be in the bios settings.

go into the bios and set the boot order on the hard drives, you could have conflicting boot drives ??

Enjoy that seagate 320gig... I got 2 of them running Raid 0 in my computer...

CKAMC
01-07-2007, 12:09 AM
Yeah my older drives are IDE.

you know what.... on my second 160 gig it doesnt have a jumper on it..... and sata drives so far to what I have seen dont have jumper settings at all.

I will try the jumpers again... might have to try my HD hookup on my monitor to confirm as well if my DVI connection has gone bad.... because like I said... the system sounds like it running (i have xp cd already in the dvd burner) but just no video to show me whats up.

holding out for another month before I but a 500gig seagate... after that I need a new mobo or get a PCI card as this one only has two SATA connections on it :(... but this is a AGP board so it will promote me to go PCI-Express finally :)

Thx Hypertek for posting back! :)

HyperTek
01-07-2007, 01:37 AM
hmmm what kind of motherboard do you have? maybe a bios update could work.. its more then likely a configuration problem. hehe I had to take the dive into a new system back in september becuase I wanted a new video card.

CKAMC
01-07-2007, 02:00 PM
well with sunlight on my side I went back at it....

disconnected and reconnected gfx card... saw that there was no pin over the cmos ... covered it. Jumper was set to CS.... so that was good. I changed my IDE connections to the mobo for the hell of it.

powered on the shut down (to clear cmos). powered up again... wow video out put .... so yeah weird one again.

Yeah I am on an old gigabyte amd powered 939 board...
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=1881&ModelName=GA-K8NSC-939

Yeah cant wait to upgrade to a new DFI board... hopefully within the next month or two depending on PCI-E price on a XFX 7950GT (please price drop soon :) ) ... since I am stuck on an old 6600GT...and on a AGP board :(

HyperTek
01-07-2007, 03:05 PM
79 series is awesome.. jus wish i held out a lil becuase i bought a 7900gt on ebay for $170ish used a while ago, and then the 7900gto and 7950gt come out which are the same price the 7900gt used to be and they got 256 more mb lol.

oh well still awesome tho.