PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding the clutch, pls help!

KTKai
12-27-2006, 12:49 AM
I have (which is believed to be) a 1992 240sx and I just had the clutch replaced, but it is continually slipping. When I took it in about 3 week after getting it replaced they said that I have broke the shaft which the clutch slides into. But when I got my car back again it did the same damn thing. I asked around and they figure that the mechanic didn't bleed my clutch. Could that be right? The clutch had also "sinked", every time I pushed it in it seemed the release point would get smaller and smaller. I have never had a car that did this, can anyone help?

KTKai
12-27-2006, 01:02 AM
No but the person that recommended me to him were really good friends with him and he will only has him work on all of his cars.

KTKai
12-27-2006, 01:11 AM
Wow I must be really tired because I really F*cked up that last sentence.

DoriftoPnoy
12-27-2006, 01:30 AM
yea prolly have to bleed the clutch. might wanna check the bleeder valve and make sure its closed. and check you fluid level to see if its low. i would like to suggest ss line and removal of the dampener box to make bleeding faster.

KTKai
12-27-2006, 02:27 PM
So how do you bleed a clutch exactly?

Jung918
12-27-2006, 03:08 PM
Pretty much like bleeding the brakes.

MELLO*SOS
12-27-2006, 03:48 PM
After you bleed it if you still have problems, double check the clutch pedal adjustment nut. The pedal needs to have a certain amount of slack, otherwise it'll slip as you accelerate.

johngriff
12-27-2006, 03:55 PM
Okay. Time for JohnGriff Clutch Master... LOL

If clutch is slipping, it is 1 of 2 things.

1. Clutch is shot, GTFO clutch, buy new Clutch from me!
2. Pedal is adjusted waaay too high, readjust. BUT, driving like this probably burned the clutch out, so refer to no.1, and read my write up on adjustment.
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?p=1089147#post1089147

All other issues with the clutch system, like bleeding will make it difficult for the clutch to disengage. As well, if the throw out bearing guide is broken, the trans will make a HORRIBLE sound when engaging/disengaging the clutch. This problem is known as "ACT Syndrom" and is synonimous with using an ACT pressure plate.

HAHA, call me, get your credit card!

S14DB
12-27-2006, 03:59 PM
Your slave cyl may be shot.

LB.Motoring
12-27-2006, 04:06 PM
^ yep, could be blown out like a... well nvm that..

drew935
12-27-2006, 04:59 PM
I say rebleed and go from there.

johngriff
12-27-2006, 06:04 PM
lol, low clutch pressure does not = slipping clutch.

More over, the mech probably did not unhook the slave during the job (from the line), because you dont need to. He may have knocked the fork off the ball joint making it no longer pivot, this is where you could be feeling the "dead pedal" from.

BUT, it is NOT going to slip unless the clutch is bad. Which if you have no pedal pressure, it obviously is.

intel
12-27-2006, 07:26 PM

More over, the mech probably did not unhook the slave during the job (from the line), because you dont need to. He may have knocked the fork off the ball joint making it no longer pivot, this is where you could be feeling the "dead pedal" from.

BUT, it is NOT going to slip unless the clutch is bad. Which if you have no pedal pressure, it obviously is.

yup...sounds like this or a cracked throw out bearing sleeve... had both of these happen.. it blows

kandyflip445
12-27-2006, 08:11 PM
If you're having trouble bleeding, I highly recommend you go get yourself a Mityvac vacuum bleeder. It takes like 2 min. to bleed the thing and it works beautifully.

su177rit
12-27-2006, 08:13 PM

^yeah..........low clutch pressure doest mean your clutch is slipping.
easy way to test if your clutch is slipping just put it into 5th gear and dump the clutch. if the car stall most likely your clutch is fine. Check for leak! if there are no leak try remove the bypass valve (or what that long tube w/bleeder valve thing) and hook the line directy to the slave cylinder. Then bleed the system and don't for get to adjust the clutch pedal.

Markovich
12-27-2006, 09:35 PM
john griff is always right just listen to him and buy shit from him never let me down...
damn that sucks though get some tools and an fsm and learn to do this stuff yourself...

peace

nka203
03-18-2007, 04:17 PM
hey johngriff, about the throw out bearing guide breaking, is it a kind of LOUD metal grinding noise that happens with the clutch pedal in? and also, can i get like a reinforced TOB guide that will not break as easy with ACT pressure plate?