PDA

View Full Version : Click click no start

Psycho 240 Freak
12-22-2006, 06:53 PM
I've searched but can't seem to figure out how to use this search. When I turn the key, I hear what sounds like a few clicks coming from the starter, but it won't start. Usually it takes a few tries to start, but lately it's been getting worse. The starters been tested at Autozone and Advance Autoparts. Checks out good. I went ahead and bought a new starter relay, but still the same problem. I'm gonna double check the grounds again tomorrow. Anyone have a clue? I'm totally stumped.

Irukandji
12-22-2006, 06:56 PM
1. Bad Ground
2. Bad Starter
3. Bad Clutch Interlock Relay

I had the exact same problem as you, checked/fixed the 3, then it's been fine.

Since you've replaced the relay, I'm pretty sure its the starter. There's a lot of threads on this, so search next time.

Psycho 240 Freak
12-22-2006, 07:05 PM
Thanks, I did search, but the search feature on here is kind of weird. I got the starter checked out already at two places and it works. So I'm kind of hestitant to buy a new one.

DrIvEsldEwAyS
12-22-2006, 07:09 PM
check your battery cables, if they are barely touching then it will click and get no power.

Phlip
12-22-2006, 07:09 PM
When he says "there's a lot of threads on this," he means throughout the world of automobiledom, that is the order in which one learns to check down their issues with starting/not starting the FIRST time they dream of working on their own car

Psycho 240 Freak
12-22-2006, 07:14 PM
check your battery cables, if they are barely touching then it will click and get no power.

Thanks, the battery cables are good. Everything else gets power too.

mrmephistopheles
12-22-2006, 07:31 PM
could be your battery taking a shit too.

sliddinsil8o
12-22-2006, 07:40 PM
to make sure its not your starter go ahead and jump start the starter with the battery...disconnect the ign. wire from the solenoid and use a wire from the positive terminal on the battery to the plug on the starter. If the is good it will start no problem, if it doesn’t start them your starter is probably dead. I had the same problem as well, starter cked good but wouldn’t work on the car...bought a new one and now it works like a champ

5t341tH
12-23-2006, 01:36 AM
i have a question too.
my ka-e just pooped on me today. it doesnt crank, or make any sounds at all. i tried hitting the starter cuz i heard that it would work but its not.
what do u guys think it could be. starter? starter relay? i already tried jumpstarting it but i knew that wouldnt help becuz im not getting any cranks

Rayne
12-23-2006, 01:25 PM
Check the ignition/starter fuse. Several months ago, my coupe had a similar problem....Click click, no start however when I pulled the fuse and put it back in....my car would start. I told my mechanic about the deal and later found out that the starter kept acting up after I shut the car off and tried to start it up again.

So yeah....pull and replace your starter/ignition fuse and then try to start the car. Come back and tell us what happend.

Rayne
12-23-2006, 01:29 PM
i have a question too.
my ka-e just pooped on me today. it doesnt crank, or make any sounds at all. i tried hitting the starter cuz i heard that it would work but its not.
what do u guys think it could be. starter? starter relay? i already tried jumpstarting it but i knew that wouldnt help becuz im not getting any cranks

Check your fuses first.

5t341tH
12-23-2006, 01:38 PM
ill do that. but which fuses should i check? which box in the engine bay?

Ameerov
12-23-2006, 01:46 PM
Check all your fuses to be sure.

Psycho 240 Freak
12-23-2006, 03:54 PM
Check the ignition/starter fuse. Several months ago, my coupe had a similar problem....Click click, no start however when I pulled the fuse and put it back in....my car would start. I told my mechanic about the deal and later found out that the starter kept acting up after I shut the car off and tried to start it up again.

So yeah....pull and replace your starter/ignition fuse and then try to start the car. Come back and tell us what happend.

Where's the ignition/starter fuse at? Looking at the schematic for the starting system I don't see a fuse. I'm not the best at electrical either so I could be overlooking something.

Oh yeah, I cleaned up all the grounds today and replaced both battery line connectors. The 240's still not starting but I got my horn to work again!

Buttasc0ttch
12-23-2006, 04:00 PM
wow this is crazy i have the exact same problem right now! maybe it has to do with the weather or something b/c every winter my car has some type of starting problem.

idlafie
12-23-2006, 11:48 PM
Psycho
Check your ignition switch...SPECIFICALLY the START position on your ignition switch. Use a continuity tester to make sure the START position hasn't shorted out. Everyone seems to forget that the START position on the ignition switch is part of the starting circuit & no one checks that when the car doesn't want to start.

http://www.familycar.com/classroom/starting.htm

Remember it's the START position on the ignition switch that provides the 12 volts signal that kicks over the starter. Replace that and your starting problems will be solved.

Anyhow, hope this helps..

ID

5t341tH
12-24-2006, 12:56 AM
i found a simple fix for my starter problems. i juss take a nice stick and hit my starter a couple of times. den i can start it as usual. made me super happy today cuz i could go to work on time!!! :)

Rayne
12-24-2006, 02:11 PM
ill do that. but which fuses should i check? which box in the engine bay?

Where's the ignition/starter fuse at? Looking at the schematic for the starting system I don't see a fuse. I'm not the best at electrical either so I could be overlooking something.

Oh yeah, I cleaned up all the grounds today and replaced both battery line connectors. The 240's still not starting but I got my horn to work again!

The fuses is inside the cabin underneath the driver's side kick panel. The fuse is a 10 amp and it is the second from the bottom on the right side of the fuse box.

ronj
12-24-2006, 02:39 PM
You need a starter. If your power cable going to the starter is good, its with out a doubt your starter. Did you actually check with a volt meter how many volts were getting to your starter while cranking or did you use a test light???

broken240sx
12-24-2006, 02:42 PM
WIRE A SWITCH to the starter... you can make a temporary under hood switch to be sure, I've had 4 s13s and they all eventually had the same problem... I'm sure there is a proper way to fix it but a quick easy and reliable fix is a starter switch

Rayne
12-24-2006, 02:49 PM
WIRE A SWITCH to the starter... you can make a temporary under hood switch to be sure, I've had 4 s13s and they all eventually had the same problem... I'm sure there is a proper way to fix it but a quick easy and reliable fix is a starter switch

Actually...replacing the starter would be the proper way to fix the problem. A switch will only keep the starter signal from reaching the starter.

broken240sx
12-24-2006, 02:58 PM
^^^ well actually a switch is going to send a new/different signal to the starter when you hit the switch... (run a wire from the + terminal, to a 30amp fuse, to a momentary togggle switch, to the starter, done, and even easier to make a test switch)

The original poster said he tested his starter and I believe him, since I've had the same problem and never had to replace a starter. I would make sure it isn't a short in the starting system somewhere before you replace the starter.

broken240sx
12-24-2006, 02:59 PM
Annual Causes of Death in the United States
Tobacco 435,000
Alcohol 85,000
Marijuana 0

--> WORD

koukimonster139
12-24-2006, 03:14 PM
i found a simple fix for my starter problems. i juss take a nice stick and hit my starter a couple of times. den i can start it as usual. made me super happy today cuz i could go to work on time!!! :)

lol. damn. just damn.

Psycho 240 Freak
12-30-2006, 01:13 PM
An update:
I replaced the starter with one from Autozone. Car still not starting. I checked the starter with a mulitmeter and it's reading 12.4v. So there's power going to the new starter and it's still not starting....

broken240sx
12-30-2006, 01:19 PM
try the switch

Psycho 240 Freak
12-30-2006, 03:39 PM
Thanks, I'll try that next.

mrmephistopheles
12-30-2006, 03:53 PM
Have you checked the battery yet?

Psycho 240 Freak
12-30-2006, 06:55 PM
My current battery reads 12.4v. I even put in a new Nissan battery from my wifes car which read 12.6v and my car still won't start. The only thing I can think of now is the clutch pedal position switch or possibly my new starter is bad.

DriftSpecial180
01-19-2007, 01:00 AM
Add another one to the list. Its weird tho because it starts sometimes.

dk1army
05-13-2007, 03:04 PM
im having the same prob did you ever figure it out?

ImporteXBUILT
05-13-2007, 03:14 PM
^^ Probably the starter bro. I got mine tested and they said it worked fine, but I just bit the bullet and bought a new one. Now it work's fine.

delphis
05-13-2007, 03:25 PM
well I have the SAME problem with my coupe, replaced the fuse and start, still nothing, but I can jump the starter, so what does that mean a bad ignition switch! I made a push button starter and it fires up every single time!

ThatGuy
05-13-2007, 03:33 PM
When my Coupe began having problems starting, the problem ended up being bad battery terminals. Once I replaced them with some flashy terminals from the stereo store the starter problems went away.

Now I'm not saying you need flashy terminals to make it work. Just advising you to check the terminals. Clean the terminals off, make sure the clamps are tightening properly and aren't broken, and ensure the wires are in good shape.

S-Chassis, especially S13's are notoriously bad for electrical problems.

dk1army
05-13-2007, 10:34 PM
I Think Thats It I Ran A Push Button Ignition But Id Rather Have It Another Way. I Know Its Getting Power To The Relay Swith Under Ther Hood. Thats The Clutch Relay. So Would It Be The Starter, Or Maybe A Ground. My Problem Started When The Engine Got Wet If That Helps?