PDA

View Full Version : Apocalypto

sepulchral
12-20-2006, 06:34 AM
this was a very good movie, i recommend anyone who likes a good historically accurate movie to go see it.

and unlike mel gibson's usual movie endings, this one has a good ending.. (by good i mean not extremely fuckin sad, (braveheart, passion of christ))

Apocalypto bitch!

ManoNegra
12-20-2006, 09:08 AM
I agree with you, it's a pretty good action film and I also recommend people to go see it but it's NOT historically accurate.
- The temples they show on the city are from the Mayan Classical period, way before the Spaniards arrived. In fact, cities of that stature didn't really exist anymore at that point.
- There hasn't been evidence found that such sacrifice pits shown in the film existed.
- There is no evidence that Mayans practiced target practice with prisoners.
- I don't believe anyone can be stabbed and run around the jungle for days let along outrun a jaguar.

FaLKoN240
12-20-2006, 11:11 AM
Good? Yes.

Historically accurate, or accurate at all for that matter? Probably not.

I enjoyed it, real suspenseful. I was sitting on the edge of my seat for a while.

I heard people complaining about the amount of blood, I came out disappointed in that area. LOL (Not enough blood)

LookOut Nick
12-20-2006, 11:14 AM
^^ Well the aztecs did sacrifice up to 500 people DAILY! And they did crush stone and paint their temples white. But all the make-up was great in that movie...very convincing IMO

jrocslider
12-20-2006, 11:25 AM
they were supposed to be mayans and yeah it was a good movie... everybody in the theatre thought my uncle and i were crazy cause we kept laughin when people were gettin killed... especially on that part where the dude gets slammed on the side of the head and blood starts pumpin out with like lil squirts hahahaha

psychoblue23
12-20-2006, 11:27 AM
Ohh siick im going to see this. I ehard it wasnt that great.. but ill sit through a not so good movie if its violent and ppl are seriously hurt.

BC240
12-20-2006, 11:55 AM
Although Mel Gibson's behavior makes me sad, Braveheart was one of the best movies ive ever seen. Its kind of like How Michael Jackon's face makes me sad but I love his music.

5t341tH
12-20-2006, 12:03 PM
i saw commercials for this and i thot that it would be great. from reading how u guys review it, imma go see it asap

water
12-20-2006, 12:09 PM
Pulsating blood? I'm so there.

ManoNegra
12-20-2006, 12:48 PM
^^ Well the aztecs did sacrifice up to 500 people DAILY! And they did crush stone and paint their temples white. But all the make-up was great in that movie...very convincing IMO

Where did you find that fact? I would like to check it out.
Aztecs built their city on a lake, lots of canals and waterways... in the midle of Mexico. The natives in this film are clearly Mayan and are close to the northern gulf. By the time the Spaniards showed up, the Mayan people had abandoned their great cities, had lost much of their technology and science and were living mostly in tribes. I like to read about this sort of thing since part of my heritage is Mayan.

But those that haven't seen this film won't be dissapointed. Just don't go in hoping to get a history lesson.

WILDACEX187
12-20-2006, 01:11 PM
i doubt that people are going to the movies for a history lesson. its entertainment. just like xmen isnt historically accurate (to comics lol) dont expect this to be either. i want to see this but my friends dont wanna go bastids

ManoNegra
12-20-2006, 01:19 PM
this was a very good movie, i recommend anyone who likes a good historically accurate movie to go see it.

I was just responding to the original post.
Now, go see Apocalypto!

WERDdabuilder
12-20-2006, 01:58 PM
crazy movie. saw it the other night.

180sExy
12-20-2006, 03:36 PM
This movie is tight! I made the mistake of watching this one movie about the tree of life instead of this movie! Apocalypto was waaaaaay better!

ManoNegra
12-20-2006, 06:21 PM
So The Fountain wasn't any good then? I kinda sorta want to check it out.

180sExy
12-20-2006, 06:48 PM
So The Fountain wasn't any good then? I kinda sorta want to check it out.
HELL NO! its one of those weird movies. It was a waste of my life I was pissed that I paid to see it!

WILDACEX187
12-20-2006, 07:25 PM
damn i really wanted to see the fountain also. i heard its a "masterpiece" lol

wootwoot
12-20-2006, 07:52 PM
Film tip for sketchy people going to "iffy" films. Purchase the ticket for the later show and go to the earlier one. At the end complain of boredom and voila free tickets! I let the people who made the movie keep the money if I liked it.

I still hold The Departed for best movie of the year by far!

origin_s135
12-20-2006, 07:57 PM
thank you guys for the reviews....i havent seen a movie at the theater in months....it's good that you guys make a topic about the new movies out.

bigJ86
12-21-2006, 12:48 AM
yea... seen Apocalypto frist day it came out........ great movie. Been wanting to go see it agian.

theronin
12-21-2006, 01:54 AM
sweet! time to drag the gf to it.

HyperTek
12-21-2006, 12:15 PM
i wanna go see this

sepulchral
12-22-2006, 10:41 AM
ok some parts were accurate but of course they had to "hollywood it" overall it was a good story and action packed!