PDA

View Full Version : Chopped springs causing issues

BC240
12-19-2006, 02:50 PM
Firstly it wasn't me who chopped the springs, I bought it that way recently. its an 95 S14 with 157,000 KM on it.. almost totally stock.

I have been having some suspension issues as follows:

#1 - Noticable wheel shake above 90km/h
#2 - Wheel Hop when traction is lost
#3 - Clunk when dropping a gear and gasing to fast
#4 - Not tracking straight, pulls left or right very easily on uneven surfaces

That being said she doesn't handle horribly and when I go over bumps I dont hear any horrific noises. Im almost 100% that the chopped springs are somehow causing some if not all of these problems, maybe they blew the shocks?

I don't track my car due to the fact there are none anywhere near me so should I just get some new shocks/struts/springs? I searched and checked out numerous threads and it took my mind off coilovers but Id like to hear an updated opinion on suspension options along with ideas on my problems.

thanks

smelly240
12-19-2006, 02:54 PM
wheel hop is from subframe bushings, and diff and traction rods...

clunk is the subframe

u need an alignment and you need to get your wheels balanced

fix that - and get new springs

im sry - i cracked up when i saw the title to your post - i was like WTF - NOOOO WAAAY - problems... from chopped springs??? never!

downshift_sideways
12-19-2006, 02:56 PM
Dont cut your fucking springs. free mod = gay mod.

Get some cheap springs on ebay FTW.

I know you didnt chop them,,,,but wtf?

BC240
12-19-2006, 03:10 PM
That didnt take long.. did you read the first line in my post? I bought it that way and im trying to find the best way to go about fixing it properly, thats why im asking for help. I realize its a cheap and stupid way to lower your car but apparently nobody told the previous owner.

spoonman
12-19-2006, 03:12 PM
can u say.........bump steer?

blackcoupe
12-19-2006, 03:14 PM
wheel hop for teh lose.

downshift_sideways
12-19-2006, 03:16 PM
That didnt take long.. did you read the first line in my post? I bought it that way and im trying to find the best way to go about fixing it properly, thats why im asking for help. I realize its a cheap and stupid way to lower your car but apparently nobody told the previous owner.

Did you read the 3rd line in my post?

On topic: get stock springs. or oem replacement springs ebay.com ftw

BC240
12-19-2006, 03:20 PM
Did you read the 3rd line in my post?

On topic: get stock springs. or oem replacement springs ebay.com ftw

My apologies. I want my car to be lowered so stock springs won't do. There are so many opinions on what springs to get its confusing. For my last car I got a 2inch drop from suspension techniques and it wasn't low enough but handled well. Is the bump steer/wheel hop due to the springs or bushings?

spoonman
12-19-2006, 03:24 PM
wheel hop.....bushings.
bump steer.......get it aligned AFTER you get some new springs.

BC240
12-19-2006, 03:27 PM
So Subframe bushings and springs? what about shocks/struts? I would be able to hear the shocks if they were blown correct?

spoonman
12-19-2006, 03:31 PM
maybe. if you are gonna get new springs, check the struts while they are off the car.

spoonman
12-19-2006, 03:32 PM
o yeah, i do have a set of s.t. springs in the shop i just took off a 92.

pignose4life
12-19-2006, 03:33 PM
seriously some lowering springs are cheap no more that 100 bucks for like 2inches.
also for #3 my moms quest does that because her motor mounts are effed up so maybe you could fix that.
hope it helps you out.

BC240
12-19-2006, 03:38 PM
My Motor and Tranny are both rock solid, no shaking. I double checked the mounts and both are fine. Springs are cheap I know and I will get some but while im in there changing suspension parts I should fix any other issues. Also I need to figure out what kind of springs to get.

spoonman
12-19-2006, 03:42 PM
check your tension rod bushings.....stock ones are sh!t!

nightkid86
12-19-2006, 03:47 PM
lowering springs will blow your stock struts. I'd just get some stock replacement springs and some new subframe bushings. Then get an alignment. Problem solved

BC240
12-19-2006, 03:51 PM
What kind of struts do you need for a lowered car? im not looking for street sweeper status, How low can you go before having strut issues? Mostly ebay only has Tein S-Techs, but these Eibachs look promising

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Eibach-Sportline-95-98-Nissan-240SX_W0QQitemZ330062839010QQihZ014QQcategoryZ3358 2QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

BC240
12-19-2006, 04:02 PM
I just talked to a mechanic friend of mine who has driven my car and he said my shocks are blown and of course get new springs. He recommended Tociko(sp) springs/shocks and to address the bushing issues afterwards. it'll cost me about $1000 cdn without labor. time to start saving up!

downshift_sideways
12-19-2006, 04:05 PM
I have some KYB AGX's with Tien top hats.

I'll take your cut springs and shocks..Pm me for prices.

180sxsun
12-19-2006, 04:17 PM
just buy some damn coilovers you'll be more happy trust me. as far as for the wheel shake check your struts and or wheel bearings.

mrmephistopheles
12-19-2006, 04:54 PM
Tonight's report: Cut springs CAN cause issues, but first
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/8353/breakingnewsid3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

This just in - Earth is round, and in rotation around the Sun.
Also, smoking is bad for you and the moon isn't really made of cheese.

mRclARK1
12-19-2006, 05:09 PM
Tonight's report: Cut springs CAN cause issues, but first

This just in - Earth is round, and in rotation around the Sun.
Also, smoking is bad for you and the moon isn't really made of cheese.

:rofl:

msg. length.

projectRDM
12-19-2006, 05:35 PM
BC240, you are by far the stupidest fuck on Earth. Seriously.

Let's start with the basics, you know the springs are cut, so the bumpstops are bottoming out every time you drive the car. Anyone with a brain knows this. Yet you ask if the shocks might be blown. Might be? They are, no question about it. That's nothing more than common sense. Also, blown shocks don't make noise unless the piston is striking the bottom of the shaft. Again, common sense.

Secondly, you ask what type of shocks and springs are good. Have you heard of the internet? They have these search engines that are amazing.

As far as the rest of the gibberish, I give up.

McRussellPants
12-19-2006, 05:43 PM
I was amused with captain racecar "can you say bumpsteer".

Bustin out the sport compact car flash cards trying to find a way to say bad alignment but make it sound technical.

As for BC, your shocks and springs is broke, duh. post pics so I can lol at bumpstop S14.

McRussellPants
12-19-2006, 05:46 PM
PS. I dare you to fix it Smokey Yunick cheater spec.

heat them up
stretch the springs out with a ratcheting tie down back to stock length.
cut them down again.

bam, stiffer springs that you can use for stock class racing since they're still stock.

BC240
12-19-2006, 06:06 PM
BC240, you are by far the stupidest fuck on Earth. Seriously.

Let's start with the basics, you know the springs are cut, so the bumpstops are bottoming out every time you drive the car. Anyone with a brain knows this. Yet you ask if the shocks might be blown. Might be? They are, no question about it. That's nothing more than common sense. Also, blown shocks don't make noise unless the piston is striking the bottom of the shaft. Again, common sense.

Secondly, you ask what type of shocks and springs are good. Have you heard of the internet? They have these search engines that are amazing.

As far as the rest of the gibberish, I give up.

I told you not to respond to any of my posts before didnt I? You just can't resist coming in here and throwing an ego tantrum. Why the fuck would I check out a bunch of random google search results about shocks and struts when I have a forum full of 240 owners my disposal who have tried different combinations? who would YOU rather trust? who would provide a more experienced answer? THATS common sense

Common sense isn't knowing what the fuck bumpsteer is, just because YOU know something doesn't mean its common knowledge. How often do you work on your car? I fucking work all day, then I got girlfriend duty and I have to balance my family and friends so I can't molest my car all day and learn how everything works.

I don't have to ask questions. I could just throw on a set of ACME shocks/strucks and some ACME springs and call it a day, maybe replace all my bushings etc,. I ask questions because I want to be 100% sure that what im doing is the BEST THING to do and that im not dumping my money on an inferior product.

It doesn't matter what the fuck I say because your one of those people who will never admit when they are wrong. get out of my thread douche

'90RPS13
12-19-2006, 06:14 PM
LOL, Dude, Russ I still think your the man. Anyways, I have some Subframe bushings I will be willing to let go for cheap. The are brand new Whiteline's. Other then that, I would offer you stock springs/sturts, but I only have S13's. *a

pignose4life
12-19-2006, 06:15 PM
I have some KYB AGX's with Tien top hats.

I'll take your cut springs and shocks..Pm me for prices.
i think i can take those off you hands :D

downshift_sideways
12-19-2006, 06:19 PM
R20NA, You are by far a rude ass mother fucker.

I would Neg rep your bitch ass but look...

"You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later."

EndLeSS8
12-19-2006, 06:25 PM
If you're paying $1000 Canadian, that's about $800 USD

Pay a bit more, and get coilovers.
And get a set of SPL tension rods.

'90RPS13
12-19-2006, 07:28 PM
^~~~ Agreed. *a

Phlip
12-19-2006, 08:05 PM
I told you not to respond to any of my posts before didnt I? You just can't resist coming in here and throwing an ego tantrum. Why the fuck would I check out a bunch of random google search results about shocks and struts when I have a forum full of 240 owners my disposal who have tried different combinations? who would YOU rather trust? who would provide a more experienced answer? THATS common sense

Common sense isn't knowing what the fuck bumpsteer is, just because YOU know something doesn't mean its common knowledge. How often do you work on your car? I fucking work all day, then I got girlfriend duty and I have to balance my family and friends so I can't molest my car all day and learn how everything works.

I don't have to ask questions. I could just throw on a set of ACME shocks/strucks and some ACME springs and call it a day, maybe replace all my bushings etc,. I ask questions because I want to be 100% sure that what im doing is the BEST THING to do and that im not dumping my money on an inferior product.

It doesn't matter what the fuck I say because your one of those people who will never admit when they are wrong. get out of my thread douche
Dude, please calm yourself.
We know that Russ is an asshole, but that is also why we love him.

That and text messages at 3am that only say "Al"

... the fact here is that you approached the starting of this thread in standard douche missile fashion and got the flaming that I figured to be wholly possible, but hoped would not, since I read that you'd bought the car like that. (God only knows why, but it was your money, not mine) I SUGGEST, however, that you calm yourself, lest you will find "experienced 240SX forum members" (including the most knowledgeable one I personally know that you just tried to discipline) MORE unwilling to help you. I will leave this open for now, so long as the flames cease.

projectRDM
12-19-2006, 09:02 PM

And who are you to tell me what I can/can't do, fuckwad? You don't like it in here, leave. You're the fucking retard that made three separate posts about completely butchering your own radio install. You do have access to a full forum of 240 experts, those who have already hashed out everything you could possibly need to know, but you're just too damn lazy to attempt to find it. I'm occasionally wrong, true, but not when it comes to absolute reject pieces of shit like you. Quit crying you fucking worthless pussy.

'90RPS13
12-19-2006, 09:07 PM
OWNED BY none other then Russ. Owned. *a

BC240
12-20-2006, 10:36 AM
You know what, I had a long post here its not worth it. Flame and Neg rep me if you want, but I really don't think I deserve to be talked to like that. Im not crying, im just defending myself. Im pretty stressed out right now for a lot of reasons and the last thing I need is this. Nobody in my life has ever talked to me like that before.

Dream240
12-20-2006, 12:56 PM
Hey BC240,

Sorry that you got your feelings hurt. But in true Zilvia fashion, you got flamed. If you're gonna hang around here get used to it. Happens to everyone, I've had mine over the years.

Here's what you need in one easy post:

New struts - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOKICO-HP-STRUTS-SHOCKS-NISSAN-240SX-95-99-S14_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33590QQihZ006QQitem Z160062474163QQrdZ1

New springs - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EIBACH-PROKIT-SPORTLINE-SPRINGS-SENTRA-200SX-240SX_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33582QQihZ010QQit emZ200059483403QQrdZ1

I would get new pillow mounts for the front too. Go with Nismo mounts. also get new OEM subframe bushings if this is a street car. DONT go with the polyurethane unless u want to hate driving on the roads.

You should replace your tension rod bushings - http://www.pdm-racing.com/products/suspensiontc.html
Had these on my S14, worked great. Steering was a little more rigid but worth it.

Also get an alignment, rebalance the wheels, and do a tune up. This is standard procedure for buying a used car.

Hope this helps.

johngriff
12-20-2006, 01:08 PM
If you work all day, i would take the car to a repuatable shop, and have them service/upgrade it for you. If you are faaar to busy to bother with searches and the such, a good performance shop should be your best bet.

articdragon192
12-20-2006, 01:10 PM
Dang, that's a lot for shock and spring combo. And you still wont have the ride eight you want. I suggest you savea bit more for coilovers. They you can slam the car however you want.

BC240
12-20-2006, 01:14 PM
Ive done the full tuneup and ditched the dying fuel pump, the car runs tiptop. Its just the suspension thats in need of upgrading. Thank you for the links and advice.

Slidin240Wayz
12-20-2006, 01:24 PM
Save up some more for coilovers or buy them with a CC and pay it off later!

Carlos

breakindrifts
12-20-2006, 01:25 PM
I just talked to a mechanic friend of mine who has driven my car and he said my shocks are blown and of course get new springs. He recommended Tociko(sp) springs/shocks and to address the bushing issues afterwards. it'll cost me about $1000 cdn without labor. time to start saving up!

If you are serious about the handling in your car and want to track it, get coilovers. Stance, SPL/KTS, Megan... etc. All affordable and much better than a spring/shock setup.

If you just want a drop and a fix for the rough ride. Get some Megan Racing springs, they can be had for like 85 bucks, and if your shocks are blown just get OEM replacements.

Dream240
12-20-2006, 01:35 PM
Dang, that's a lot for shock and spring combo. And you still wont have the ride eight you want. I suggest you savea bit more for coilovers. They you can slam the car however you want.

Well he made comments about Sportlines. Had them on my S14, good height. Firm ride and not too rough. A little costly but worth the cash for a daily driver.
If you're gonna go with Coilovers stick with apexi, Tein, not Megan or OBX. Heard bad things about the quality and durability of the cheaper brands.