PDA

View Full Version : First Molding rear diffuser (Attn: RareTrick)

Full-Lock
12-16-2006, 02:15 PM
Before I start...Yes, I know how much this piece costs and I'm 100% serious on buying one. :)

Anway, I see on the First Molding site that they only make one for S13 and S15. I am looking to get one for my S14. Someone told me that the S15 one will work w/ no modification, irrc it was Rare Trick. Can someone verify this for me?

I understand that you can "make" anything fit, but if Im spending the money on this thing that I am, I want it to fit w/ very little or no modification.

Thanks,
Chase

!Zar!
12-16-2006, 02:46 PM
Wtf?

Use pm or email them.

Anything that isn't oem will require some form of hand fitting.

That's how this hobby is.

chmercer
12-16-2006, 02:53 PM
raceonusa copies that for like 400 dollars instead of a grand

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/240SX-95-98-HiFlex-FMOL-3pc-DIFFUSER-KIT-S14-BODY-RARE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ36475QQihZ010QQite mZ200058531270QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

i think the s13 s14 s15 ones are all the same

shit is ugly and has no performance benefit

Full-Lock
12-16-2006, 03:05 PM
Thanks, I dont know if i want to go with a fake one. This thread wasn't just meant for RareTrick, i wanted to see what other people wanted to say about them or if they had info on it.

big_schaf
12-16-2006, 03:22 PM
yah its a must for a rice factor

Unholy S14
12-16-2006, 03:47 PM
how is it rice ?

Full-Lock
12-16-2006, 03:48 PM
^^w0rd..the replica maybe. But First Molding is high quality shit.

atom
12-16-2006, 04:30 PM
It's rice-ish cuz a rear diffuser works 100 times better with a full undertray. I doubt it works that well with a stock 240. I won't lie, it looks cool tho. My friend has one on his FD and it's sweet.

big_schaf
12-16-2006, 04:42 PM
^exactly its only for looks....pretty much all your doing is adding weight...but to each is own..

koukimonster139
12-16-2006, 04:56 PM
yuck.

i dont like diffusers tho

unless you drive a calsonic gtr or w/e lol

Full-Lock
12-16-2006, 05:07 PM
lol,my 240 is far from stock trim

big_schaf
12-16-2006, 05:10 PM
^post a pict

koukimonster139
12-16-2006, 05:12 PM
yeah ive seen it b4 topsecrt your car is hot

i wouldnt do the diffuser tho

Full-Lock
12-16-2006, 05:25 PM
this was taken from the "LOW DOWN v3" topic

"taken from shitty cam
JIC FLTA2 coilovers
Do-Luck Double Six 18x9 +18 (f)
Do-Luck Double Six 18x10 +26 (r)
Bridgestone Potenza RE750 235/40/18 (f)
Bridgestone Potenza RE750 265/35/18 (r)

RB is using twin HKS GT2530 turbos and is currently making 530whp

My stance is pretty weak right now, but going lower soon, possibly small spacer also. Also have INGS+1 R Spec aero coming (minus rear bumper)

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/1694/dsc01025edit6fq5.jpg
http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/3562/rb26wb8.jpg "

atom
12-16-2006, 05:39 PM
That's nice and all, but all those mods don't mean anything. When I said a rear diffuser won't work well on a stock 240 I was talking about the aerodynamics. A 500HP RB doesn't change anything.

kognition
12-16-2006, 06:24 PM
I have seen the rear diffuser on the link you provided at Race ON. Thats for guys that are not into cutting up their rear bumper. If you really want a real diffuser that will actually work to its full potential, it must work with a full undertray. The curvature for an optimum rear diffuser is between 8 and 12 degrees. So the best curve would really be 10 degrees if you do not have a wind tunnel to test it. It's job is to slow down and re introduce and de pressurize the lower airstream into the rear of the car. It helps to actually suck the car down to the ground by means of pulling the air out of the back.
Mine actually has to be done by the next Redline event on my S14. And it def isn't for show. Full front splitter running into continuous undertray and running right into the rear diffuser. Nothing i am selling at the moment, need to test it for awhile. Cutting out the trunk and blanking the tub out with a flat panel will allow you to have a better diffuser that will REALLY suck the car down to the ground. Thats what i am going for right now.
I am doing everything i can to optimize my downforce right now. No company out there produces a real racing undertray kit for the S14. Not to my knowledge anyway.

MadScientist
12-19-2006, 01:42 PM
Just seen this thread.

^^^ Mike is right and I would deffinatly suggest getting whatever diffuser he makes...carbon/ aluminum honecomb is super strong and perfect for exterior parts.

I have seen a few S-Chassis in Japan that were running the FD3S rear Diffusers... I think its the Garage Mak S13 that has this. S13 Subframe is slightly smaller the the S14 so not sure if S13 versions will work or not, however S14 and S15 subframes are the same size only the S15 is designed to be stronger... same as Skyline. But all that info is really pointless because the mounting points are in the same locations. The only issue you way really have and need to worry about is the length from the sub-frame to the Bumper, and making the diffuser fit/ work with whatever exhaust you have... all exhaust sit differently.

Unless you have a true Track whored S14, and refuse to go with an adjustable wing (for whatever reason)... the normal weekend warrior who races less than 20hrs in a season will probably never know the difference.
Now if your wanting the First Molding simply for the prestige and brownie points... you know I support anyone on that rare quality, but I would hold off and wait till Mike gets something working!!

Peace
Drew

Full-Lock
12-19-2006, 02:33 PM
w0rd, thanks both Mike and Drew, you both make good points. If I don't get the First Molding i'll hold off a bit until i see Kognition's peice, although it sounds awesome. It may be too much of a diffuser for me if you know what i mean haha. I'm not sure if i want to do extensive work to the trunk and rear bumper since this is pretty much a daily driver/light track car. :)

Thanks,
Chase

kognition
12-19-2006, 03:10 PM
The Kognition car is more of a lab rat for testing these theories out anyway. If you can make a killer undertray, there is almost nothing to stop you from beating
cars with twice the power on the track. Assuming they don't have any undertray setup. It's kind of a black art, where every application varies from car to car.
Take a look at GTC (German Touring Car) races. These cars are one of the best examples of using undertray setups. Going at impossible speeds around corners as if the cars were on rails. Thats where the undertray is doing it's job. The corners. It's nice to see people taking an interest in these things, it raises the performance bar in this industry, and makes it worth my time to study up on it and develop parts.

McRussellPants
12-19-2006, 04:41 PM
A diffuser is rice because your gonna use it on a car with stock bumpers and no tray.

its further rice to think that paying 1 grand for a crappy diffuser is better than paying 400$ for a marginally crappier copy of the same diffuser.

But you'll prolly ignore this because it was abrasive and hurt your feelings, and go on to put it on your car anyway with no understanding of why its not doing anything other than making you car look like a racecar.

ugh.

TurDz
12-19-2006, 06:38 PM
Is this for performance or show/respect?

If you're going for pure performance and economy, just flattening out the underbody of the car (with thin aluminum sheeting or similar material) is a great way to improve underbody air flow velocity (i.e. lower air pressure).

Ghost Dancer
12-19-2006, 06:44 PM
TOPSECRETT88 - After you asked me about it on AIM I decided to call First Molding. They said that the S15 should fit with "little or no" modification and that the way the exhaust "hangs" may have to be adjusted.

Full-Lock
12-19-2006, 07:02 PM
Thanks Ghost Dancer...that helped me out a lot
@McRussell: lo0lz, how is that supposed to "hurt my feelings"?

You think a diffuser is retarded but ohh those non-functional aero kits are mad tyte..

McRussellPants
12-19-2006, 07:09 PM
hahahahah

Don't listen to what that guy has to say about you wanting a diffuser. This forum is riddled with guys like him who would be better off selling their cars and getting the Volvo. They don't do anything for the sport or the scene.
So many scinics on the forum these days.

Did you fuck up that bad and send me a PM hating on me in third person, or did you copy it to show me whos boss? either way, hahahahahahahaha.

So you should probably add "because your a dealer of overpriced rice parts" to the list of reasons you should ignore me.

Or you can try and tell me about how a diffuser with no tray still helps... you should probably go with this one... because Im bored, and retards trying to figure out aerodynamics makes me rofl.

KwKouki
12-19-2006, 07:55 PM
wow....you all must get paid for internets. you all take this shit way too seriously

kognition
12-19-2006, 08:28 PM
Yup, my mistake. The PM wasn't meant for you, sorry, but i meant what i said. You aren't exactly helping this guy out are you, try being a bit more helpful instead of creating drama out of nothing. I can't keep my "overpriced parts" in stock because they sell the minute they are made. Thats just fact.
You 240 guys are a fraction of my market.
You are pretty quick with witty comments, thats for sure. You have obviously had some practice.

hahahahah

Did you fuck up that bad and send me a PM hating on me in third person, or did you copy it to show me whos boss? either way, hahahahahahahaha.

So you should probably add "because your a dealer of overpriced rice parts" to the list of reasons you should ignore me.

Or you can try and tell me about how a diffuser with no tray still helps... you should probably go with this one... because Im bored, and retards trying to figure out aerodynamics makes me rofl.

chmercer
12-19-2006, 09:02 PM
err an aftermarket front bumper is like 30 times as functional as some goofy ass fake splitter.

kognition
12-19-2006, 09:45 PM
Our 350Z won the 145mph class in the September Nevada Silver State Classic (http://www.sscc.us/results-06-sscc.htm#145) using our splitter/diffuser and spoiler. I would hardly call them useless. My sponsored Z driver doesn't think so anyway, and he is a professional.
So much for the over priced rice theory. Nice try though.
http://www.kognitiondesign.com/Steve_mott_front_aero.jpg
http://www.kognitiondesign.com/steve_mott_redline_dec_06.jpg

err an aftermarket front bumper is like 30 times as functional as some goofy ass fake splitter.

KwKouki
12-19-2006, 10:10 PM
Kog - You are arguing with people that brush aside every known suspension physics and travel just so they can pull their balls out and scream "bowdown to my offsets and super low JDM stance"

You know what you are doing, hence why you make those overpriced parts. Save yourself the time man and join me in a laugh

chmercer
12-19-2006, 10:44 PM
*ugh* ok, when i said goofy ass splitter, i meant rear splitter, as per the subject of this thread. as i said, an aftermarket front bumper, or in your case, a front spoiler, is 30x as functional as that stupid first moulding piece. my reply was to this

"You think a diffuser is retarded but ohh those non-functional aero kits are mad tyte.."

as i have said, that first moulding thing is fucking stupid, and an aftermarket front bumper / lip / aero / whatever has far more performance benefit

is that enough typing for you, ugh

McRussellPants
12-19-2006, 10:52 PM
Kog - You are arguing with people that brush aside every known suspension physics and travel just so they can pull their balls out and scream "bowdown to my offsets and super low JDM stance"

No retard, I know perfectly well that my geometry and roll center is fucked.

newsflash: You and I both drive peice of shit S-chassi from the early 90s. It doesnt matter. I could put 5 days of math into my roll center, buy the most perfectly unstretched tires, and then Drop 15k into my car. whoops, still get clowned by a stock FRC on hoosiers but its cool, since my car is .5 seconds faster than it is now.

I've challenged anyone in this thread to tell me why a shitbox JDM diffuser with no tray, hardly even a run up to the diffuser itself is a quality part. I Won't get any other answer than "a company in japan has it so it must be good"

look at the fucking dentsport car if you want a fucking diffuser.

ugh, afk to wax my windsheild for the aerodynamic gain.

kognition
12-19-2006, 10:57 PM
I'd really rather talk about aerodynamics than argue. Not my thing. No harm done. Back to work. :2f2f:

McRussellPants
12-19-2006, 11:03 PM
Fair enough.

cut it out with this diffuser crap and make D-max multislat hood for cheap.

kognition
12-19-2006, 11:19 PM
I just finished the 5'lb carbon race doors, one miracle at a time here. :bigok:

I had a phone conversation the other nite with the owner of VRT (Violent Racing Technologies). They placed second in my class at B.W. behind Tanner Foust driving the JIC S15 in the Redline Time Attack. He makes his living installing the JWT T.T. kit.
He wants any possible advantage i can make for him in the downforce department for his race cars. So even when you are running a 500+ HP car, they want the best aero they can get. That is what we are trying to do. I respect the Japanese tuning shops very much. But there is this void of information, and access that leaves alot of people frustrated. We are trying to fill that void.

drew935
12-20-2006, 01:07 PM
Just do your thang Kog :bigok: :2f2f: