PDA

View Full Version : Any motorcycle riders???

jdm538
12-13-2006, 01:36 AM
Im about to buy a 1998 yamaha r1 for $5,600 with 20k mi. I'm trying to do some price matching but I cant seem to find other 1998 r1's for sale. I saw some on Yamaha forums but all are from out of state. Does anyone know the street value of this bike, and is familiar or own a yamaha r1? also what bike do you ride and why? Thanks for the help.

ALTRNTV
12-13-2006, 01:44 AM
I don't know the street value of it, but I do ride. I use to have a '99 CBR600 but I sold it.

Criss, are you an experienced rider? Getting an R1 as your first bike is just signing your death certificate...

sw20>>s14
12-13-2006, 02:52 AM
thats way too expensive for a 98 R1...just look through the ads on craigs and see 00-03s for the same price......let alone one with so many miles...and if you do decide to get it...GET A STEERING DAMPER!...my first time riding one was nerveracking...the front end on those gen R1s are soft as poo...and get a mildly loud slip on to stay alive...

compare: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/mcy?query=r1

kbb general/typical trade in value: http://www.kbb.com/kbb/OtherVehicles/Model.aspx?VehicleClass=Motorcycle&PriceType=Trade-In&YearId=1998&ManufacturerId=343

kbb general/typical retail value: http://www.kbb.com/kbb/OtherVehicles/Model.aspx?VehicleClass=Motorcycle&PriceType=Retail&YearId=1998&ManufacturerId=343

!Zar!
12-13-2006, 03:02 AM
That's WAY too much money for the age and milage.

You could get a 01 r1 with 5-6~k miles for around five thousand.

Don't buy it.

I pray this isn't your first bike.

As said prior, a r1 is just asking for a casket to go along with it.

jdm538
12-13-2006, 03:04 AM
damn the prices of bikes in norcal are low..

It's not really my first liter bike

the thing is it has a stearing damper a brake and suspension upgrade plus magnesium wheels. so i dont know if that goes into consideration.

yokotas13
12-13-2006, 04:14 AM
97 TLS, sold my 2000 buell..

if you want it buy it.

Raven_R1
12-13-2006, 05:22 AM
I ride a R1, and its my second bike. Its a beast, and is absolutely terrifying if your not used to that much power...1st gear takes you over 100mph...or damn close...if you pin it in every gear the front will just keep rising...a steering dampner is a MUST.

pbcstylez
12-13-2006, 04:29 PM
although the bike has mods, no pre 01 bike is worth 5k in my opinion especially with 20k miles

jdm538
12-13-2006, 05:49 PM
although the bike has mods, no pre 01 bike is worth 5k in my opinion especially with 20k miles

wow that sucks, what is the reason?

aNskY
12-13-2006, 06:22 PM
DONT BUY AN R1!!

if this is your 3rd or 4th bike in 12 years.... forgive me...

but seriously, if this is your first bike dont buy a liter.. trust me.. buy an older 600 super sport (gsxr600, r6, cbr) and dont spend too much because YOU WILL DROP IT!! i got my first bike almost 4 years ago.. 97 f3. guess what? i still ride it. i had an r1 for about a month. traded it for my old zenki.... there is no use for that bike except for going 180 on the highway, unless you have some BIG time skill - which is only gained on smaller bikes

Jefferson
12-13-2006, 07:42 PM
That bike has way too many miles for the price. I have been riding since '01 and Yamaha has to be the least favorite of the top 3 major jap bikes (suzuki and honda being the other 2).
I had a '02 GSXR 1k, 2 '01 929's and rode my friends 01 R1 daily for about 2 months, it handles like shit. I always kept going back to the lighter 600's. My favorite bike of all time is the 01-03 F4i's and I would recommend that bikes for you especially if your an unexperienced rider.

aNskYis right liter bikes are usualy useless unless your hauling ass on the highway. When I had the liter bikes i wouldnt even take them out the garage except to rock higher speed tricks on the highway, everything else I use a 600 hands down

g6civcx
12-13-2006, 07:59 PM
Does anyone know the street value of this bike, and is familiar or own a yamaha r1? also what bike do you ride and why?

1. Check KBB.com, cycletrader.com, and craigslist.com.

2. 600cc supersport is my class of choice. I've been with the R6 platform for a while but I'm changing to the new ZX6R platform. I ride the 600 because they are very versatile, lightweight, handles well, accelerates well, brake well, and don't have the liability of having too much power in case of over-application of throttle.

If you don't have any experience, I highly recommend you get training. It really doesn't matter what you ride, but some bikes are less forgiving than others. You have to understand what's going on before getting into situations and don't know how to react.

Riding around the block is easy to learn. Riding well is harder to learn. With no training you will have a very difficult time with a litre bike.

Riding a 600 is like having 2 powerbands: one below 10K RPM and one above 12K RPM. If you keep it in the lower range it feels like a 250cc.

The litre bike is actually easier to control once you have a lot of experience. Power delivery is smoother, but you need impeccable throttle control to corner well.

Cashizslick
12-13-2006, 08:00 PM
I don't know the street value of it, but I do ride. I use to have a '99 CBR600 but I sold it.

Criss, are you an experienced rider? Getting an R1 as your first bike is just signing your death certificate...

:werd:

If it is your first bike get a 600cc and call it a day.

My buddy bought a 2002 GSX-R 1000 for his first bike. After struggling with it all summer and constantly getting dusted by my friend in his GSXR 750, he test rode an R6 and realized he'd made a moderately expensive mistake.

As a new rider, you will be able to ride faster, more agressively, and be safer on a smaller bike.

jdm538
12-14-2006, 12:34 AM
wow the r1 gets no love. this is not my first liter bike thank you everyone for your input.

aNskY
12-14-2006, 04:04 PM
in that case, buy whatever damn bike you like. why ask us?

jdm538
12-14-2006, 04:19 PM
in that case, buy whatever damn bike you like. why ask us?

????????

i wasnt asking what bike to buy, i was asking what the worth of an r1 is.
who are you? why do you sound mad you didnt have to read the thread.

aNskY
12-14-2006, 04:23 PM
lol my bad. im really stoned and forgot what the thread was even about :rofl:

wingsnthangs
12-16-2006, 05:18 PM
I ride a 2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250. I bought it as my first bike because it was cheap and highly recommended for beginners. I will probably sell it for the same price I bought it for by the time I'm ready for a bigger bike.

Pros:
1. Low insurance
2. Unappealing to thieves
3. Good gas mileage
4. Small and light. This came in handy when I was boxed in by other bikes in a designated motorcycle parking area. I had to lift and pivot it around.
5. Low depreciation

Cons:
1. I'm 5'11" and have long legs. Kinda feels cramped sometimes.
2. Sometimes feels underpowered, especially riding near San Diegans barrelling down the freeway in their monstrous SUVs.
3. It'd be nice to have fuel-injection....
4. Not as attractive as fancier sportbikes, but it serves its purpose

Gilboyto
12-16-2006, 05:27 PM
I ride....or did...

I had a 2000 Suzuki GSX-R750. Only had 4K when I bought it at the beginning of 2005 too. Put about 5K on it (I drove it year round in Seattle, rain or shine).

Was lovely, absolutely love motorcycles, but I was one of those people that seemed to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and got hit by a drunk driver about 200 feet from the pull in to my apartments. Luckily I was ok, but I ended up with a fractured elbow and still have pains from it after 3 months of physical therapy (its been about 8 months since the accident).

All I have to say is if you ride, is WEAR YOUR HELMET! :-)

Gilboyto
12-16-2006, 06:51 PM
Oh yeah, and liter bikes are fun but there is really no point to them on the street unless you just want to all out race in straight lines. You can keep up with a liter bike in turns with a lower class bike, but I guess its really personal perference lol.

I do know that if you buy an R1, they will be expensive simply because its a Yamaha and a liter bike. Statistically speaking, people who purchase an R1 have a life expectancy of less than a year lol.

But anyways, as far as price goes, the mileage is WAY high for a bike that costs 5K.
Ask him if the engine has been rebuilt, what oil he used and how often he replaced it.
When you look at the mods for it, a steering dampner for a sportbike (750cc and above) is stock, so its not worth anything. But upgraded suspension can be quite a bit, what kind is it? Ohlins? Also, what kind of magnesium wheels are they? Marchesini? Hopefully he didnt use the stock wheel bearing when he replaced them with aftermarket wheels. If they are in fact aftermarket, and magnesium, they cost about 2-3K to buy new...

I guess if youre willing to chance the engine blowing, take it! I guess thats just my 2 cents

jdm538
12-16-2006, 10:52 PM
well i decided not to buy the r1. it was a graves full race bike and then put back to street. everything was left over except for the engine. it had ohlins suspension, marchesini wheels, scotts damper, and full ap racing/brembo brake setup. there is more stuff but i dont remember what.

i decided to get a 600cc around $5400 but later after bills are paid, im torn between the honda cbr 600rr and the r6

which 600cc sport bike has the best resale value? (gsxr, r6, 600rr)

The_Reaper
12-16-2006, 10:58 PM
trust me bro r6 i've been riding for about a year. i drove my friends cbr and my r6 is much more comfortable but it could be just me. plus r6 has better resale value. i really want to try the new gixxers i heard there pretty good too

Gilboyto
12-17-2006, 10:48 AM
Personally, I wouldnt mind about resale value because Id be keeping it for longer than a year lol. But the R6 usually holds up better, but then again, the CBR is a Honda....They seem to hold their ground with prices too.

I haven't ridden an R6, but I have ridden a CBR600RR, I think it was an 05.
First off, the front seat is thin and hard, and the rear seat is small enough where a passenger wouldnt enjoy the ride at all lol. The weird thing is, sitting on the CBR in a garage hurts my ass to just sit on it, but when you are riding you notice the suspension has a lot of forgiveness in bumps, but not too much. So it actually feels pretty good when riding.
Another thing, is that the CBR I rode turned on a dime. Even my Gixxer wouldnt lean over nearly as fast as that thing, and the acceleration was ridiculous. Hit the throttle in 2nd gear going 20-30, and itll bring the front up.
The only thing I never really enjoyed about the R6/R1 is that they are narrow and uncomfortable, even for me. The R6 was skinny enough where I had troubles keeping my legs closed on the bike, and it hurt for me to tuck them to the bike haha. I had no trouble with the CBR though.

It also depends on how you like to sit when you ride. I do know that the CBR's riding position is more like a race bike, you sit a angled so it leans you forward by default, and the foot pegs are closer to the seat for more ground clearance.

Other than that...try both of them out and see which one you enjoy better!

Jefferson
12-17-2006, 02:45 PM
r6's are so uncomfortable to ride for me, especially on the street. They have a way more agressive riding position than any CBR.
all CBR's on the other hand are very street rider friendly (position of feet and wrist) , although like you mentioned the seat is stiff as hell and so uncomfortable for any ride over an hour long.
The CBR's ive owned took way of a harder beating than my R6. I've bailed on numerous wheelies which have caused the bike to roll and flip some, the CBR's usually bend rearsets, handlebars, and the edge of the rim. The Yamaha on the other hand snapped the whole clip-on right off, wheels shattered, and rear seat snap off with just a simple lay down. And every ones tranny seems to always fuck up
All in all I like Honda's build quality, weight distribution, handling, and reliability. the only thing it lacks compared to most other sport bikes in its class is the power

g6civcx
12-18-2006, 10:02 AM
Does anyone know the street value of this bike, and is familiar or own a yamaha r1? also what bike do you ride and why?

Everybody who is going off-topic needs to relax and calm down. Even though this is off-topic, at least try to keep your comments to the questions he's asking. He didn't ask how much longer he's going to live on a litre bike.

jdm538, from your first question, it sounds like you want people who both know the value of the bike and have experience to respond. I recall several posters on here with R1 in their sig. I don't remember their names immediately though.

On the second question, it seems like you wanted to open the discussion to riding in general. A lot of people who ride don't ride litre bikes because they don't want to die, myself included :keke: You have to know the questions you're asking so you're not surprised by the responses you get.

So please be nice to each other. Let's keep the comments on-topic and keep the thread civil, please.

r6's are so uncomfortable to ride for me, especially on the street. They have a way more agressive riding position than any CBR.
all CBR's on the other hand are very street rider friendly (position of feet and wrist) , although like you mentioned the seat is stiff as hell and so uncomfortable for any ride over an hour long.
The CBR's ive owned took way of a harder beating than my R6. I've bailed on numerous wheelies which have caused the bike to roll and flip some, the CBR's usually bend rearsets, handlebars, and the edge of the rim. The Yamaha on the other hand snapped the whole clip-on right off, wheels shattered, and rear seat snap off with just a simple lay down. And every ones tranny seems to always fuck up
All in all I like Honda's build quality, weight distribution, handling, and reliability. the only thing it lacks compared to most other sport bikes in its class is the power

I find that many riders don't ride in the correct position. If you try to sit up too high, you put a lot of weight on your wrists, neck, back, and shoulder. With a supersport, you have to sit lower and use the tank more to support your torso. This problem becomes more obvious with clip-ons and rearsets as the parts force your body into the correct position.

The purpose of the bars is to steer, not to support your weight. You have to support your weight with your legs and core muscles. Clip-ons put the bars lower so you have more leverage to countersteer, but most people tend to push down which wastes energy and slows steering response.

The 600RR seat is very hard, but compared to my superbike tail and 1/2" foam, anything else is a vast improvement :D The hard seat helps you feel rear tyre vibration. If everything is bumpy and squirmy, you're good to go. If everything is fine and smooth, you've just lost traction :D

Yamaha wheels tend to shatter on impact, but the wheel spokes are lighter and the shattering helps dissipate energy instead of transfering crash forces through the frame. But crashing is crashing so it'll be bad either way. Just don't crash.

daOne43
12-18-2006, 10:40 AM
I own a 04 R6. I have rode the suzuki 6's and 1000's, kawasaki 750 and 636, triumph, and the honda 600rr. The best bike I think is the yamaha. The light weight and thinness of the bike is what caught my attention. For a good bike to ride around town I would recommend a 600, 1000's are good but I like bikes that you can throw down in corners really easily and the R6 seems to be the best. I think the reason alot of people buy 1000's is cause it makes them seem more powerfull. Really in general the 6's are all you need, plus the ladies dont really care what bike you have, they just want to ride. I am not much into stuntin. Im not here to talk shit about people who stunt but I think its really pointless to do shit like that plus risking you life even more to impress someone is BS. If you are going to buy a bike to ride in the city and back roads then a 6 is all you need plus insurance is better. I usually ride back roads for about 4 to 7 hours on a saturday or sunday and I never really feel uncomfortable. I hope this helps

trsilvias13
12-18-2006, 01:14 PM
My brother sold his 99 r1 last year for 5k. That thing only had 12k miles.

I recommend getting a fuel injected bike. I would personally stick with the 600cc class bike.. either a zx6r 636, zx6rr, or a cbr 600rr.

rainier
12-19-2006, 12:44 AM
get the 600rr! and well go riding in feb when i buy another bike

jdm538
12-19-2006, 01:32 AM
you sold your f4i for a scooter now your going to get a 600rr?? when i get it i'll hit you up..

when is the best time to buy a bike?

sw20>>s14
12-19-2006, 02:47 AM
now! people rather sell them than store them...that is, if they already had selling in mind, obviously...and owners usually want to beat the clock before rain so theyre willing to go pretty low...but i dont know how it is in socal since it seldomly rains...for norcal, this is the perfect time to buy...

s13silady
12-19-2006, 03:04 AM
whoa... thats expensive...

but yes i ride too . 03' R1. the bike i learned how to ride on and my very first bike was a 99 R1. never rode anything but liters. and ive never layed down once... but i guess it depends on the person. now im a trackwhore with my r1. expensive. if you think you can ride it then go for it. but if you choose to do something dumb on it, then thats when the lay downs start and the f*ck ups start.
my favorite quote: "respect the bike. it wont respect you."

g6civcx
12-19-2006, 10:59 AM
now! people rather sell them than store them...that is, if they already had selling in mind, obviously...and owners usually want to beat the clock before rain so theyre willing to go pretty low...but i dont know how it is in socal since it seldomly rains...for norcal, this is the perfect time to buy...

That's exactly right. Hurry before the new season starts and prices go back up.

usdm180sx
12-19-2006, 11:50 AM
My friend scraped off his nipple when he crashed his gsxr 750 it was rad...

sw20>>s14
12-19-2006, 05:21 PM
well, as long as were throwing sayings out that scare ppl:

"there are two types of riders: the ones that have gone down, and the ones that will..." DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUNNNNNN!

good thing as of today, im the latter :bite:

jdm538
12-20-2006, 08:05 PM
ok i cant find any cbr 600rr's for my price range but i found a 03 r6 with 13k mi. for $5k what do you guys think?

The_Reaper
12-20-2006, 11:36 PM
too much go to seattle craigslist, you can get a 05 r6 with 2k for about 5.5k

jdm538
12-21-2006, 09:39 PM
now 04 gsxr with 3k mi.. has small crack and scrathes on right fairing for $5K

blu808
12-21-2006, 11:26 PM
Dude a 600rr would trash that old pos r1 on the track.

I wouldnt pay more than 3.5k for that r1.

I hsve had a buncha bikes,

VFr 700, zx7r, cbr 900rr, r6, erion racing 929rr, red white 929rr, Never crashed any of them, and have to say dont start on a 600rr, or a liter bike. An older liter bike would be questionable,

I would start on a r6, or cbr 600 f4i.

Also another note.
That guy that posted on the first page saying the front wheel comes up in every gear, doesnt know what he is talking about. Yes the new bikes have alot of power, but even with a liter bike it is hard to get the front wheel off in 3rd.

I ride my bike around with dunlop race slicks and the bike has enough power to light up the rear tire, and power slide corners.

jdm538
12-21-2006, 11:52 PM
Dude a 600rr would trash that old pos r1 on the track.

I wouldnt pay more than 3.5k for that r1.

I hsve had a buncha bikes,

VFr 700, zx7r, cbr 900rr, r6, erion racing 929rr, red white 929rr, Never crashed any of them, and have to say dont start on a 600rr, or a liter bike. An older liter bike would be questionable,

I would start on a r6, or cbr 600 f4i.

Also another note.
That guy that posted on the first page saying the front wheel comes up in every gear, doesnt know what he is talking about. Yes the new bikes have alot of power, but even with a liter bike it is hard to get the front wheel off in 3rd.

I ride my bike around with dunlop race slicks and the bike has enough power to light up the rear tire, and power slide corners.

what about an 04 gsxr 600??

blu808
12-22-2006, 12:22 PM
That would be a great bike also.

UfoZ8myCow
12-22-2006, 12:57 PM
If youre looking at 600s... Get a 600RR. On paper, it may not be faster or lighter than the others, but take it to the track and you will consistently lay down faster times than you would riding an R6 or GSX even though you may feel like you arent going as fast. Its just so damn easy to ride and so forgiving. It even makes a 6'3 205 lb dude like me look good in the twisties.

Plus I dont know about anyone else... But the all black 05-06s (like mine) are just damn sexy.

TurK
01-21-2007, 10:57 AM
Im also thinking about getting a CRB 600 RR right now , found a 03 with 5200k miles all black 5500 out the door , this will be my first bike...even though i kind of did learn to ride on a 1100XX black bird. What do you guys think?

jdm538
01-21-2007, 01:34 PM
thats cheap if its comming from a dealer. ^

TurK
01-23-2007, 12:12 AM
yes its from a dealer. Going to buy it tomarrow hopefully. Any of you guys know if there is any defaults with the 03s or any other kind of recall/problems with it? thanks.

qt_240
01-23-2007, 08:50 AM
i recommend CBR 600RR or GSXR 600..

g6civcx
01-23-2007, 08:57 AM
Talking about what bike is superior at your level is pointless. Get good training and invest in safety gear. Expand your skills and you can ride any bike you like.

jdm538
01-30-2007, 02:45 AM
alrighty... i have a new question would you buy a bike that has been completely repainted because of a cracked fairing? i found an 05 gsxr which was completely repainted sti blue with 2,900 mi.

The_Reaper
01-31-2007, 02:55 AM
i doubt that it they repainted the bike just because of a fairing, i would be really iffy, i would really look in to that

GSXRJJordan
01-31-2007, 04:10 AM
Wow, I can't believe I missed this thread! And I can't believe Luke @ Shock Drifting has had almost all the same bikes as I did back in the day! Crazy...

I was into bikes WAAAAAY before I got into 240s... I amateur raced (WERA/CCS) on the east coast (usually just the VIR events, did one in FL and a couple in Jersey), and now live right at the base of Angeles Crest. I can scrape my sliders in the rain. I ride.

I've had a bunch of bikes, dont wanna thread hijack too much. Point is, in the Navy I worked at a local bike shop for the sales team, teaching new guys how to ride for $50 a pop. I've seen all sorts of riders (mostly young guys like myself) get on to all sorts of bikes (mostly new 600s) and do just fine after I slap them around a little bit. Honestly though, I think an older non-Suzuki literbike (Honda 900rr/929rr, 98+ R1 [not 2001 though], any ZX-9r) is the perfect bike for someone who either hasn't ridden a lot or hasn't ridden recently. The only thing I recommend for someone who hasn't ridden ever is a dirtbike and a year's experience.

The literbikes I listed up there are cheap, reliable, and DONT DO ANYTHING WEIRD. That's where you 600 kids get hung up... you dont want to learn on a bike with a fucked up powerband, like a new 600 - you want to learn on something that's smooth and predictable. Also, until recently, the literbikes were the only ones with good suspension and brakes, so theres another plus. Anyway, I've taught more people how to ride than anyone else I've ever met, and every single one of them has gotten through the first few crucial months without doing anything rediculously stupid and/or dying.

It's not small displacement that'll keep you safe while you learn, it's good habits and a predictable motorcycle. Hope I hammered something into at least one person's head.

BTW - anyone in socal wanna get together for some schoolin, my PM box is always empty... I'm not popular... =P

Dorifto89
01-31-2007, 01:39 PM
Get a supermoto they are teh sickness

turbospeedmuffin
01-31-2007, 05:24 PM
I also agree that's too much for a 98 R1 with that mileage. It's a great looking bike in my opinion, but it's getting a bit old technologically, especially if you have that sort of money to spend. You could get something smaller, lighter, faster.

And why are people recommending 600 supersports as a first bike ? Learning how to control a bike when emergency maneuvers need to be peformed is much harder on a supersport style chassis. For example if you loose the front or rear end mid corners, or get into a situation that can induce a tank slapper. Yes the power of the motor does play a factor, but I think it's more about the chassis itself, with steep fork angles, skinny clip-ons and forward body position. These things are much easier to learn to deal with on a more standard chassis design. I'm not saying you can't learn to ride on a supersport, but it's just a lot safer to do it on something else.

Anyhoo, this is what I'm riding now. It's on 04 ZX-10R. Love it to death.

http://www.photodump.com/direct/turbospeedmuffin/10r4.jpg

hnugen
04-26-2007, 01:33 PM
My first bike was a 02 CBR600 F4i. It was a sweet bike till I hit a pole and broke the bike in half (totaled) and broke 2 toes, ankle, hip, and tore my knee. Ouch!! Now I ride a matte black/black 07 GSXR-600.

sunnys14
04-27-2007, 02:47 AM
my 05 r6 raven with a custom 06 exhaust
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c380/fall3nstar05/22.jpg

no new rider needs a power of a liter bike... period. ive rode various 600s and liter bikes, liter bike is way too much power for a n00b to handle. u can power wheelie at the top of 4th gear!

i rode the shit outta my bike, i put 8500 miles in 6 months. completely wore out the rear tire, luckily my gf bought me a new set for christmas.

max speed i achieved on my r6 - 176mph (indicated)
max speed i achieved on my friends gsxr 1000 - 187 mph (indicated)

please wear your gear if you ride, dont be a squid.

eastcoastS14
04-27-2007, 03:00 AM
u kidden? thread is from 06

SochBAT
04-27-2007, 03:08 AM
u kidden? thread is from 06

relevance pwns you.

Any bumped thread that is still relevant to the subject matter lives.

On a side note, I've lost the links to cleaning and rejetting the carbs for the bike.

My bro owns a Buell Blast (shitty, easy to pick up and learn), but the jets are clogged.

Tips anyone?

one name comes to mind.
Sw20>S14

TokyoNights
04-27-2007, 02:59 PM
I would just reccomend getting something that is newer and FI

RRs are cool,,heres mine
http://www.d-faction.com/pictures/mike/IMGP0828.JPG
http://www.d-faction.com/pictures/mike/IMGP0829.JPG

SochBAT
04-27-2007, 05:01 PM
Getting an FI bike IS better, but at the same time, I wouldn't wanna shell out 3K+ for a good bike. The bikes been down for a while, but Summers up, and i wanna ride.

Fix it first, then consider a new bike.