PDA

View Full Version : New suspension technology... pretty interesting to read

ranisron
12-01-2006, 08:00 AM
Straight off AutoTech subscriptions...

suspensions
AUDI R8 SPORTS MAGNETIC SEMI-ACTIVE SUSPENSION
Delphi Corp. will supply its MagneRide suspension technology to the new Audi R8 sports car, which bows next summer in the U.S. The semi-active system uses magnetorheological (MR) fluid to provide continuously variable damping control. The system enables more damper tuning capability, a larger range of damping and faster response compared with conventional valve-based control designs. MagneRide is based on MR technology patented by Lord Corp. in Cary, N.C. It debuted on the 2002 Cadillac Seville and has since spread to several other General Motors Corp. vehicles. It also has been added to
the 2007 Audi TT roadster.
The Delphi system exposes small iron particles
in the suspension fluid to a magnetic field. The field causes the particles to
align themselves in the direction of the magnetic flux, thus altering viscosity based upon input from sensors that monitor vehicle body and wheel motion. Damper movement, which can be activated in milliseconds, is managed by an electronic controller that communicates with the vehicle's sensors and other chassis controllers. Delphi says the system enables the
greatest possible road-to-wheel contract on uneven road surfaces with the least impulse to the car body—an enhanced “skyhook” approach.
Because damper valving is eliminated, MR technology has a very short response time. Damping force is dependent on the power of the magnetic field applied to the fluid and can be adjusted up to 1,000 times a second. The greater the energy applied and the stronger the magnetic field, the greater the attractive force between the iron particles and the greater the resistance and damping power. The monotube MR damper takes up
about the same space as conventional dampers or struts and uses an average of just 5 watts of electrical capacity (25 watts at a maximum).
Drivers can choose between comfort and performance settings. The latter, in addition to more precise and responsive handling, limits transient body roll in corners.
End of article.

Whenever I read MR... I kept thinking about Megan Racing coilovers :p

S14DB
12-01-2006, 09:02 AM
Already in Chevy and Cadillac products on the road. As in the article the tech is 4yrs old.

The real interesting thing is that now they filed for bankruptcy they will sell to anyone.

ranisron
12-01-2006, 11:39 AM
I apologize DB.

Yes, the tech is there, however, it seems the BIG 3 and their subsidiaries are not masters of producing and enhancing the tech. With a good sports car platform, hence the RS8, this technogoly may get more developed and matured, IMO.

Feel free to lock the thread, since I wasn't aware the technology was that old.

S14DB
12-01-2006, 09:14 PM
Well it's important to note the changes that are coming. It has been sad to see Delphi's tech get wasted in crappy cars for years. Hopefully we will see a greater divergence in tech if this deal is successful.

Tenchuu
12-01-2006, 09:21 PM
BOSE was makeing some sort of magnetic suspension that i read about a few years back in a car and driver.