PDA

View Full Version : Car help( a new one! )

wootwoot
11-12-2006, 03:40 PM
Ok.....Soooo....I drive a lot. Iam also dumb and like sports cars to much and they end up being somewhat unreliable...Dang. My dad is sick of my shit breaking down and me having to borrow his pick up truck. Iam also sick of driving his shit Ford Ranger 4 cylinder. Having to row the gear box simply to get to 60mph is a serious pain in the ass.
Because I need a toy Iam going to be taking out a student loan among with some other money I have saved up from work. So my toy is now going to be a 100cc kart I allready have on order. Iam currently serving and will soon be working at the Mazda dealership in which I will be taking out another loan for tools to boot.
I am going to be sneaky and take out the loan for my tools and the kart and whatever I need for the car on a student loan noting that as long as Iam in school 1/2 time I do not have to pay interest and it is a much lower interest rate. I have a lottttt of time on my hands to go to school half time as I suck at math but am aspiring to an engineering degree. Avoiding any interest I can will be nice considering that I could pay back the loan in its entirety with no interest.
So now I need a reliable car no matter what. I cannot have something that will not allow me to get to work/school. Iam currently considering Ford Focus SVT, Mazda Protege 5, Toyota/Pontiac Matrix/Vibe, Acura Integra GSR(even though most all have been ruined and they are typically extremely over priced) and b13 Sentra SE-R's if I can find one with extremely low miles. Iam looking for something in the 30mpg range that is somewhat fun to drive. I will not be modifying the car to any extent since that would defeat my purpose. Trucks have been considered but gone against for their lack of "trunks" and that I hate driving frickin trucks.
Hatchbacks/station wagons are completely acceptable and preferred. I have a bit of a BMX obsession and am anti bike rack so the bike needs to be able to fit. I just need help with thinking of cars that are somewhat fun to drive stock. I could have saved those who are actually going to read this (no more then 2 people because it is stupid fuckin long!!) all this time by simply saying that. So for those who are lazy and read by scanning

THESIS STATEMENT: IAM TRYING TO FIND A DECENTLY FUN RELIABLE CAR

p.s. Nothing German.
p.p.s I have issues and will definitely be picking up some toy car if I can find one for a decent price. Old Datsun or z car or something =D
p.p.p.s I have 7k in the bank so no more then 10k for a car no matter what in anyway shape or form. Even if it is the best deal of the century and is beautiful/perfect. If someone is selling an f40 for 10k I will be forced to pass it up then kill myself

SiI40sx
11-12-2006, 04:16 PM
honda accord, good resell value, good gas mileage with reliablility

S14DB
11-12-2006, 04:34 PM
Toyota Echo

RiversideS13
11-12-2006, 06:13 PM
honda accord wagon or subaru outback

wootwoot
11-12-2006, 07:41 PM
Those arent fun at all =(
Toyota Echo has a 1.6 I think and this does have to be able to tow. Not tow much but it does have to be able to.

S14DB
11-12-2006, 10:00 PM
Echo can take a class Ia hitch. Anything more than that and you're going to have to move your mileage goals way down.

Farzam
11-13-2006, 10:29 AM
Integra GSR is the way to go.
Just get an OBDII one so you don't get tempted to modify it.
Lurk craigslist and you'll find a good deal.
And check out team-integra.net

exitspeed
11-13-2006, 10:40 AM
240sx...shit, Mine's pretty reliable. Get's me through WI winters and is my DD. Wanna buy it? $5,000, but for you, $1500 :)

JK. I'd get an old civic hatch for your purposes.

ManoNegra
11-13-2006, 11:08 AM
^ Agree with exitspeed.
I was going to get a civic hatch for daily duties but my friend was selling his busted AE92 gts for cheap so I got it, rebuilt the engine and just started driving it.
So far so good, I'm glad I got it.

wootwoot
11-13-2006, 12:01 PM
Ive been looking for a Civic hatch but low miles its damn hard to find. Ideally one of the old SI's would be great. Ive also been looking at the "EP3" Civic SI's (the newer hatches) but am kind of skeptical on it. Ive been looking for GSR's but I cant find any stock in my price range. Ive seen them going for as high as 18k stock though! yikes!!!

Farzam
11-13-2006, 12:43 PM
wootwoot, PM me if you'd be willing to drive up to NC.

I know of a few nice GSR's for sale for a good price.

SimpleSexy180
11-13-2006, 12:52 PM
please dont get the grocery getter (ep). GSR or CIVIC HATCH will do just fine. Dont modify it and it will do the job.

LB.Motoring
11-13-2006, 12:56 PM
civic hatch stock,

or like 95 corolla?

Gnnr
11-13-2006, 01:00 PM
wootwoot, I'm sorry I have to be the one to say what you dont want to hear. I can talk to you from the car enthusiast standpoint, or the business major in me. I would advise against taking out loans for a car. And you need to get a car that would not make you want to modify it in the least bit. A car that has zero aftermarket. Why? Because you need someting as reliable as possible, and a modded car does not fit the bill. You need a boring grandma grocery getter. Yes, its true. And the downside is that for the most part, they're not fun. Maybe a Suzuki Aero. Hey, its still Japanese.

wootwoot
11-13-2006, 03:12 PM
^^^ I was looking at the Aero but I do not think I can handle that gauge cluster. I absolutely loathe digital gauge clusters and since I will have this car indefnitely I have to atleast kinda like it.

I'm trying to avoid the loan as much as I can and atleast student loans interest rate isnt to bad. I might beable to weasel some cash out of my dad as well. The problem with some of the older cars is that Iam shooting for less then 75 thousand miles which makes it kinda trickey.

S14DB
11-13-2006, 03:18 PM
New Beetle TDI

wootwoot
11-13-2006, 03:43 PM
Terrified of German cars after bad experience. The gas mileage and towing capability would be amazing though. Ive been looking at the Echo and I know it'd be a good car to get but I'm still an enthusiast so I dont think I can do that to myself. That is the same motor that comes in the Scions isnt it?

RiversideS13
11-13-2006, 04:40 PM
CR-V 4wd? it has good resale value and relatively cheap to fix.

Previa all trac or SC and make it VIP style

S14DB
11-13-2006, 08:22 PM
Terrified of German cars after bad experience. The gas mileage and towing capability would be amazing though. Ive been looking at the Echo and I know it'd be a good car to get but I'm still an enthusiast so I dont think I can do that to myself. That is the same motor that comes in the Scions isnt it?
Yep, same upgrades too...

http://www.hksusa.com/images_products/3085.jpg

wootwoot
11-13-2006, 10:01 PM
you temptress

s13silady
11-13-2006, 11:33 PM
HONDA CRV. i beat the sh*t out of it more than my 240 haha.. and its lasted.