PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Recovery

rhit240sx
11-07-2006, 11:34 PM
My laptop hard drive just failed and I am going to try to send it to a data recovery company, does anyone have any experience with any companies or suggestions? I tried myself using Linux and it doesn't see the drive, I just makes scary clicking sounds. I know this is going to cost a lot, but the drive has all three plus years of engineering files from school...i know should have backed up more frequently but its too late for that. Any help is appreciated.

TAMTANIUM
11-08-2006, 01:56 AM
I really wish you the best of luck. If the drive failed because of the clicking sounds. Then I think there should be a solution. Your hardrive hardware is failing but the files is still storing in the disc. Why don't you call up some hardrive company and see what they can do for you.

good luck man.

RiversideS13
11-08-2006, 02:19 AM
if it just a hardware problem, some local computer stores might able to fix that for you. HD Recovery from recovery services are expensive, usually goes from 450 to 3000 or more. last time a local recovery service quoted me $900 to recovery my hd

mrmephistopheles
11-08-2006, 02:37 AM
yeah you'd better hope there was nothing on that drive you NEEDED.

watch this series of videos to learn about what's going on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUyxIG0xsBg

LB.Motoring
11-08-2006, 03:02 AM
and

part 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLTIanYRUBw

atom
11-08-2006, 03:33 AM
Try puttin it into a plastic baggie then throwing into the freezer overnight. After it's frozen install it into your PC and see if it works. I know it sounds stupid but sometimes it works.

rhit240sx
11-08-2006, 09:02 AM
The tech department at school managed to get it working, at least temporarily, by taking it out of the computer. I should be able to get my critical files back, I will lose some V8 Supercar races and small crap like that.
I really can't afford for this to happen again, so what are some good options for backing files up. I might have space on another hdd but who knows how long that will last. I also have a dvd burner, and can probably acquire a program like Norton Ghost. I am really busy with school and finding a job so I would really like something that can back up files/folders automatically every week or so. Is there anything that works that way? Also with my design project I will be having some huge files, probably larger than 5 or 6 gigs apiece.

LB.Motoring
11-08-2006, 09:54 AM
get this :keke: :keke:

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=959056

I actually use a usb HD, to back up my cad, and soildworks files that are irreplaceable, and sometimes to the server, but sofar my portable HD hasnt done anything weird, and that thing has been dropped, etc. it still preforms great!
importain items I would just back up on dvd

Gnnr
11-08-2006, 11:15 AM
I really can't afford for this to happen again, so what are some good options for backing files up. I might have space on another hdd but who knows how long that will last. I also have a dvd burner, and can probably acquire a program like Norton Ghost. I am really busy with school and finding a job so I would really like something that can back up files/folders automatically every week or so. Is there anything that works that way? Also with my design project I will be having some huge files, probably larger than 5 or 6 gigs apiece.

Yes, there are automatic backup programs out there. Also, for backing up huge critical files I'd probally use a tape drive backup. You can also backup on DVD.

tacotacotaco
11-08-2006, 12:16 PM
Back it up on flash memory. (hard cards) not disc drives.

projekt_s13
11-11-2006, 02:05 PM
get this :keke: :keke:

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=959056

I actually use a usb HD, to back up my cad, and soildworks files that are irreplaceable, and sometimes to the server, but sofar my portable HD hasnt done anything weird, and that thing has been dropped, etc. it still preforms great!
importain items I would just back up on dvd

DAMN! $5,469.99 or $169.79/month, haha
but its 64 gb on a keychain. Imagine loosing your keys after thats on your keychain.

ixfxi
11-11-2006, 02:30 PM
hey kevin, that hard drive recovery video seminar was pretty interesting.

i've had several hard disks fail over time for me and various clients i worked for. interesting note, ive swapped the boards of HDD's before and have recovered drives by doing that. however, if the drive is clicking.. sounds like its mechanical damage.. you can pretty much smash it on a desk, sounds like its toast.