PDA

View Full Version : Saddam Hussein sentenced to death.

ALTRNTV
11-06-2006, 03:10 PM
Saddam Hussein has been convicted of crimes against humanity
and sentenced to death by hanging.

The former Iraqi leader was convicted over the killing of 148 people in the mainly Shia town of Dujail following an assassination attempt on him in 1982.

His half-brother Barzan al-Tikriti and Iraq's former chief judge Awad Hamed al-Bandar were also sentenced to death.

Former Vice-President Taha Yassin Ramadan got life in jail and three others received 15-year prison terms.

Another co-defendant, Baath party official Mohammed Azawi Ali, was acquitted.

Saddam Hussein and his co-defendants will be given the right to appeal, but that is expected to take only a few weeks and to end in failure for the defendants.

Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri Maliki hailed the conviction in a televised address, saying that the sentence was "not a sentence on one man, but a sentence against all the dark period of his rule".

"Maybe this will help alleviate the pain of the widows and the orphans, and those who have been ordered to bury their loved ones in secrecy, and those who have been forced to suppress their feelings and suffering, and those who have paid at the hands of torturers," Mr Maliki said.

US President George W Bush welcomed the verdict as a "milestone" in the efforts of the Iraqi people "to replace the rule of a tyrant with the rule of law".

But the European Union urged Iraq not to carry out the death sentence.

When called to court, Saddam Hussein, dressed in his usual dark suit and white shirt and carrying a Koran, walked to his seat and sat down.

Judge Rauf Abdel Rahman ordered him to stand while he read out the verdict, but the former president refused to do so and had to be moved from his seat by court attendants.

As the judge began reading the death sentence Saddam Hussein shouted out "Allahu Akbar!" (God is Great) and "Long live Iraq! Long live the Iraqi people! Down with the traitors!"

The former leader looked shocked and furious as the sentence was passed, and continued to shout, denouncing the court, the judge and the US-led occupation force in Iraq.

But the BBC's world affairs editor John Simpson said that after his tirade, which was clearly deliberate, Saddam Hussein seemed to have a small smile of triumph on his face as he was led away from the courtroom.

"It was as if he was thinking 'I've come here and done what I intended to do,'" our correspondent said.

Good riddance. :down:

Phlip
11-06-2006, 03:15 PM
The world will be a better place without him, even if not for the reasons the administration is telling us it will be.

midnight zenki
11-06-2006, 03:57 PM
Couldn't have said it better Phlip. I heard that after the automatic appeal he should be put to death in spring '07

HalveBlue
11-06-2006, 04:03 PM
Hah!

I'm just waiting for him to be acquited, run for president, be elected, and start all over again.

MELLO*SOS
11-06-2006, 04:16 PM
Hussein ftl

http://www.injusticebusters.com/index.htg/00001/saddam_Rumsfeld.jpg
"Hey, what up man, it been a while huh? how's the ol extermination coming? LOL"

Rumsfield ftl

TurK
11-06-2006, 08:39 PM
i dont know why he has a kuran in hes hand....evil bastard.

wootwoot
11-06-2006, 09:31 PM
The world will be a better place without him, even if not for the reasons the administration is telling us it will be.

true but death is to good for him still. There are things much worse then death espicially to a believer

Farzam
11-06-2006, 09:53 PM
They should do something less humane to him.
Hopefully some mustard gas will "accidentally" go off before his hanging in his cell.

exitspeed
11-07-2006, 07:47 AM
So is he gonna be put to death anytime soon? Or is his appeal going to drag this whole thing out.

The whole trial was a complete joke with what they let him get away with. If I was the judge, I'da just shot him in the face for being such an ass.

Edgar
11-07-2006, 08:17 AM
Yea it was all over cnn dot com

They are going to hang him.

punxva
11-07-2006, 08:28 AM
im actually suprised that he got sentenced to death, im sure its not being carried out by the united states is it? if so thats kinda strange because i didnt think we would. But like said above it will be a better place, but it will also cause a surge of violence which is a daily thing anyway

exitspeed
11-07-2006, 08:43 AM
Yea it was all over cnn dot com

They are going to hang him.

Is there a date?

bardabe
11-07-2006, 10:45 AM
Is there a date?
yeah I wanna see this. should be pretty intresting ot watch.

ALTRNTV
11-07-2006, 11:43 AM
im actually suprised that he got sentenced to death, im sure its not being carried out by the united states is it?
If it was being carried out by the US, he wouldn't be getting hanged, more like lethal injection.

What happened to the days of the firing squad? I would rather see that.

xcusememisswyn
11-07-2006, 11:50 AM
im actually suprised that he got sentenced to death, im sure its not being carried out by the united states is it? if so thats kinda strange because i didnt think we would. But like said above it will be a better place, but it will also cause a surge of violence which is a daily thing anyway

Its actually the Iraqi government that is supposed to hang him, but the European Union is askin them not to do it..

bik
11-07-2006, 12:43 PM
USA enter to that country cause is barbaric...

good example keep then do barbaric stuff....

wootwoot
11-07-2006, 02:25 PM
If it was being carried out by the US, he wouldn't be getting hanged, more like lethal injection.

What happened to the days of the firing squad? I would rather see that.

Saddam said he wanted a firing squad and was disappointed by his going to be hanged. He seems so fearful of death! What a punishment!

DUFFM4N
11-07-2006, 03:13 PM
u KNOW there's gonna be a video on youtube of his hanging....i cant wait lol

Var
11-08-2006, 05:31 PM

The world will be a better place without him in power, but not dead. If anything we should kill him for making more money for the Bush family. His mustache will be missed.

ThatGuy
11-08-2006, 05:35 PM
Holy shit, it's Var!!

DoriftoPnoy
11-08-2006, 05:40 PM
We still do hangings?

+1 for youtube

LB.Motoring
11-08-2006, 05:42 PM
Holy shit, it's Var!!

http://www.12spot.com/images/Old-School-Vinyl-Records.jpg

dawwwwuummm

Youtube.com FTW!

ThatGuy
11-08-2006, 05:44 PM
We still do hangings?

+1 for youtube

Evidently you missed the part where we said THIS IS NOT BEING DONE BY THE UNITED STATES.

Phlip
11-08-2006, 05:58 PM
The world will be a better place without him in power, but not dead. If anything we should kill him for making more money for the Bush family. His mustache will be missed.
I'll accept that, I can't stand that mustache.

Var
11-08-2006, 06:18 PM
haha. How's it goin fellas. I like you . Do you like me?

Phlip
11-08-2006, 06:33 PM
^^^ I have a hard time believing that you like us when your display under your name says that you're a "professional hater"

ixfxi
11-08-2006, 07:00 PM
Saddam did a great job of keeping that country a mess. Lucky for all of us on planet Earth, the Bushes have done a wonderful job of compounding that country's probems by getting involved.

Iraq would have been better left alone.

As for whether or not Saddam should die.. well, I wouldnt ever make a decision like that. I dont judge people I dont know. All I know is that when you decide to be the boss, shit happens. Saddam had riches, now he wont. Same shit could happen to any top dog.

I respect the fact that Saddam managed to keep some type of order in that crazy ass country.

HalveBlue
11-08-2006, 07:52 PM
Actually, under Saddam, Iraq had the best education and healthcare systems in the Middle East.

It wasn't until the later part of the Iran-Iraq war that Iraq started having serious problems. That war devastated the economy and infrastructures and incurred tremendous foreign debt in Iraq.

Gulf War I destroyed Iraq even further and the subsequent UN sanctions made it nearly impossible to rebuild the country.

No doubt that Saddam was a bad dude though.

Eh, I'll leave it at that lest this turn into a idealogical/political debate.

Var
11-08-2006, 07:57 PM
^^^ I have a hard time believing that you like us when your display under your name says that you're a "professional hater"

"Now if you'll excuse me i have to go home and put some water in Buck Nasty's mama's dish.."

blackflag_Rms13
11-08-2006, 07:57 PM
lol, they still hang people?

ohnobigtdawg
11-08-2006, 08:12 PM
:confused: USA enter to that country cause is barbaric...

good example keep then do barbaric stuff....:confused:

whaaaaatttt????????

:loco: :loco: :loco: :eek:

Var
11-08-2006, 08:16 PM
translation

The US went in there to stop barbaric actions and human rights violations. We don't set a good example by killing which is barbaric also.

azndummie
11-08-2006, 08:30 PM
Technically he cannot be hanged because he was an iraqi GENERAL, and generals can't be hung, so the worst they could do to him ,according to my iraqi friend, is shoot him. It's also funny how we had no involvement with Iraq when the search for terror initially started in Afghanistan looking for Bin Laden. The U.S. has really turned its sides on Hussein considering the fact that about three decades ago he was our ally against Iran in the gulf war. IMO i think that this is very controversial.

azndummie
11-08-2006, 08:34 PM
Saddam said he wanted a firing squad and was disappointed by his going to be hanged. He seems so fearful of death! What a punishment!

Hes probably not fearful of death, but the way hes going to die is probably a thing of pride. Hanging is just dishonorable as hell.

wootwoot
11-08-2006, 09:16 PM
^^^I've never thought of being hung as dishonorable. Just that it would suck ass and that any other sort of execution would suck ass. That makes sense though.